264 win mag for elk?

A 1:9 twist wont stabilize the 156's.
Yes, I get that consensus from the group on the 156s and have not even tried those. Maybe if I re-barrel but found that the 129/130 gr bullets are lights out for accuracy. I did some testing on 140 ABs, 140 SSTs, 140 Partitions and 143 ELD-Xs with hot and cold results. The 143 ELD-Xs shot best at 300 and 400 but that's as all the range I had available.

Yes, I get that consensus from the group on the 156s and have not even tried those. Maybe if I re-barrel but found that the 129/130 gr bullets are lights out for accuracy. I did some testing on 140 ABs, 140 SSTs, 140 Partitions and 143 ELD-Xs with hot and cold results. The 143 ELD-Xs shot best at 300 and 400 but that's as all the range I had available.
140 elite hunter if your looking at the 156. It should stabilize in your 1-9 I ran it in my 6.5 saum before I got the 156 to shoot. The 140 elite kills no different than then 156. No issues putting it into an elk. I had way more consistent results than the 143eldx (my opinion on eldx is only based on 2 animals so don't let it shy you away, it's just an opinion. Loads of folks have had good success with them).

If your going to mono metal don't rule out hammer hunters.

You have plenty of rifle to get the job done. Just know the limits of your rifle bullet combo and enjoy the hunt!

Berger's twist recommendation is 1:8" or faster. I have 1:7" on mine. What velocity and altitude did you use to calculate your SG?
You are correct, guess I should have looked at the box first Lol Thanks for catching that

Although the 135 classic hunter shows 1-8 min the stability calculator shows stable in 1-9 at 3100 and average altitude/atmospherics (1.62 factor).

If it shoots in your 264, it could be a viable high bc option. Animal won't notice a difference on the 5 grains.

I'm late to this thread, but there should be no hesitation to kill elk with a .264 as long as you're not hitting the edges. Use a bullet that upsets violently, keep impact velocity above 2k fps - bad medicine for any critter.

I'm not an elk hunter, but I have followed this page for years and have seen a lot of people on here and other places harvest elk. If your .264 has a 1-8 twist or faster, load the Berger 156gr EOL bullets. Those will put you in 7mm magnum territory and give your .264 some the best ballistics it's capable of.
My choice would be a 140 gr nosler accubond 2900-3000 fps not a elk on the planet that will walk away from that load

Just like the title says is it a good choice. I know there are better bigger options but this is my rifle I am most familiar with.
Years ago - a buddy loved his .264 for all kinds of hunting in Oregon - and long range shooting. Kicks a little but great shooter. More or less - the old - more powerful version of the 6.5 Creedmore - which I just shot for the first time.

LOL - the 6.5 Creedmore - very accurate and good at bucking the wind - rightly placed - will also take down an Elk - but prefer something heavier. The ole 30/06 180 grain Nosler did the job - a 200 grain even better. :)

I have taken numerous elk over the years with the 264mag,, 6.5x308 ( now the 260 Rem ) using the Barnes old 120gr"X". Now TSX & TTSX. Also the Badlands Precision ( now out of business) 125grBD, Hammer 121gr HH. Always one shot kills. Most times complete penetration. The classic broad side thru the lungs, has most times been the most elusive shot presented to me. Just about any deer bullet will work on a the broad side lung shot. My longest shot ever was 347yds. Most of the rest has been under 200yd with many under 100yd. I switched to the copper mono's years ago because I had so much meat loss due to blood shot meat from lead core bullets. The worst destroyed, was with my old 338 mag. Many shots have been from acute angles from the front or back. On these types of shots, lots of bone & heavy muscle has to be penetrated. The copper mono's do the least amount of meat destruction, & give penetration out of all proportion to their weight. From all the copper mono's I have used , they all seem to work equally well.

I have taken numerous elk over the years with the 264mag,, 6.5x308 ( now the 260 Rem ) using the Barnes old 120gr"X". Now TSX & TTSX. Also the Badlands Precision ( now out of business) 125grBD, Hammer 121gr HH. Always one shot kills. Most times complete penetration. The classic broad side thru the lungs, has most times been the most elusive shot presented to me. Just about any deer bullet will work on a the broad side lung shot. My longest shot ever was 347yds. Most of the rest has been under 200yd with many under 100yd. I switched to the copper mono's years ago because I had so much meat loss due to blood shot meat from lead core bullets. The worst destroyed, was with my old 338 mag. Many shots have been from acute angles from the front or back. On these types of shots, lots of bone & heavy muscle has to be penetrated. The copper mono's do the least amount of meat destruction, & give penetration out of all proportion to their weight. From all the copper mono's I have used , they all seem to work equally well.
.260Rem with 140 SGK - AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Great report Hespco. I remember some complaints about meat loss from other hunters - but the old .32 Winchester Special Model 94 in lever action used a relatively slow moving 170 grain Silver Tip - at 2,250 fps - and never had a problem.

Again - shot placement - but it did not have the penetration power for some of your shots. Again - great post Sir.

Love those original Barnes X-bullets also, I coated them myself with DANZAC and never had a bit of copper fouling..still have enough left for tge rest of my days hunting..they never fail to penetrate from any angle...

Great report Hespco. I remember some complaints about meat loss from other hunters - but the old .32 Winchester Special Model 94 in lever action used a relatively slow moving 170 grain Silver Tip - at 2,250 fps - and never had a problem.

Again - shot placement - but it did not have the penetration power for some of your shots. Again - great post Sir.
Marlin 336 in .32 Win Special Bought in 1954 by my dad for my mom to Deer Hunt! I put a Wilson Peep Sight and raised Fiber Optic Front Sight.
Like new except some Bluing wore off from carrying it. We shot 170gr Silver Tips! Original Box of bullets from when my dad purchased the rifle. I still have the original sales receipt for the rifle.
It does have a KICK to it! Was going to put a Pachmayer Pad but tried to keep more original. I don't shoot it anymore and only shot it a few times to shoot deer.

Will KNOCK DOWN any ELK, BEAR, MOOSE!

Attachments

• IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    309.1 KB · Views: 8
  • .32 Special Silver Tip 170 grn.jpg
    .32 Special Silver Tip 170 grn.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Recent Posts