260 rem for whitetails

So it seems as though a ballistic tip will work good, is a Hornady SST just a ballistic tip ? I have some 125 gr nodler partitions in factory loads also. Sounds like any of the bullets I have will work, maybe I should just see what is the most accurate and go with it

I am not sure that the SST is the same as a Ballistic Tip because years ago most of the users of the 7mm 120 BTs were pelt hunters and their only complaints were the explosive nature of the BT. Give that this was the largest market for the 120 BT, Nosler changed the jacket thickness
to minimize this issue. Problem solved. Being the non believer that I am
that Nosler had actually done this, I decided to compare the 120 to the 140 Ballistic Tip by sectioning each bullet like a metallurgy cross section specification. I found that Indeed they had thickened the jacket thickness by .010 thousandths over the 140 to compensate for the added velocity.

So the 120 Ballistic tip has a .010 thousandth thicker jacket and seems to be very predictable. I have not done a side by side comparison of the 120 BT and the 120 SST so I cant comment on the difference.

J E CUSTOM

Shot over 70deer now with the sierra game kings,, all pass through.. never had a deer go more than 15 yards... last one at 620 yards went 10 but that was with a 150g.. happy hunting..

Don't be afraid to try the Hornady 129 interlock either. At less than 300 yards it will kill deer with the best of them....

Hornady loads it in their American Whitetail lineup in 6.5 creedmoor, but not in the 260. Hoping one day they start doing so!

The gun only shoots 120 gr bullets, don't know if shot angle is going to be limited with this round/ammo combination. My other option is my 28 Nosler, only guns I have at the moment. Time too start collecting again
What do you mean it only shoots 120's?

Picked up a Tikka T3 in 260 last year and after a few upgrades and bedding job it's my go to whitetail rifle. Found a good load with 130 Accubonds and have dropped everything I've shot at out to 300 yards. I love this caliber.

Slas, yes that was for you. My barrel is a 9 twist. Says it's good up to 130gr. I will prob play with it over the winter with 130s and I'll see how it does. I just put it away because I found a 240 weatherby, and I always wanted one

Slas, yes that was for you. My barrel is a 9 twist. Says it's good up to 130gr. I will prob play with it over the winter with 130s and I'll see how it does. I just put it away because I found a 240 weatherby, and I always wanted one
130 Berger VLD's recommend 1 in 8" twist in a 260. Length of the bullet also has an impact on stability as in what minimum twist rate is required.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts