260 rem for whitetails

Gotcha. I thought that's what you may have meant....it's strange how some rifles with same twist rate will shoot lighter and heavier bullets differently....

We see this a lot with 1/8 twist National Match AR's and 80gr vld's. You just don't know until you try.

Time to revive this thread....I have the 260 out again. Shooting 1 in at 200 with federal fusion. Thats what im going with this year. How long of a barrel should I have for max efficiency amd can i use a short action ? The gun I have is built off a Stevens 200 sa

Got my 5th deer with my 260. Shooting both 123gr 140gr SSTs. None of them have exited, but the ones shot in the lungs died within sight with no exit and little blood. The other two were head shots. Yes, I guess they work fine, but I'd be more comfortable with something that will consistently exit since I tend to hunt near thicker woods, and more blood wold help in the case of a not-so-perfect shot. I'm not looking to spend the money on TTSX (Yes I know they will fit the bill for what I want), but looking for regular C&C bullet. Should I go with the ELDM/X? Interbond? GameKing?

I used the Hornady 129sp in a .260 ( around 2900+) on an axis buck and a mouflon ram. My impressions is that, at that speed ( under 150yds) it was still a slower opening/penetrating bullet. I had the rifle reamed to the them "still a wildcat" 6.5/284, used the Nosler 125/120 (3200fps each) and it was a lightning bolt killer! Of course, I never killed anything over 320yds or so. I zeroed it 1" high at 100yds, and it was great for
threading the needle" brush opening shots. It did not feed worth a flip in that Mod 700 SA. I traded it off. So, in my short experience with the 6.5 ( 260 & 6.5/284) I would pick the 120BT. I'd use that 125 partition on elk. I also would build a 6.5 Sherman if I ever built another wildcat. Yep, with the 120NBT.

260AI with the Barnes 127gr LRX 3 doe out to 110 yards
43 gr imr4350 .050 off the lands Barnes 127gr LRX
2747fps
Very nice not to have to use my tracking skills .
Now I just need to figure out to get them a little closer to the truck so I don't have to drag them that far.
20181119_195505.jpg 20181117_132458.jpg 20181118_132025.jpg
Last pic is a low heart shot at 40 yards.

I shot one mule deer and one whitetail with the .260 using the berger 120 gr. hpbt target both were one shot kill at about 100 yards. The muley was DRT and the whitetail ran about 30 yards.
Drags

Got 2 deer with the 260 this weekend using 140gr SST. One was a heart shot at 80yds, ran 40 yards and fell. No exit. Next morning, shot a doe at 40 yards, neck shot, DRT. NO EXIT. Definitely switching bullets for next year. Starting to really prefer an exit in case I ever have to track one of these guys.

Im switching tp barnes around a 140 that should be the ticket. I tend to over analyze things, just worried about hitting the shoulder or a frontal shot[/QUOTE
Remember always need to go with a less of grain bullet than what you normally shoot for a coated lead bullet with barnes I have found. Take 1 with 140 and look to see what the damage is inside the animal. If it looks not to much bigger than bullet diameter u need to drop down in grains.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.