25 PRC?

Huntnful

Anyone playing with one these things? Just looking for another fun project. My girls are going to be old enough to hunt before long and was thinking about a 133 or 115 VLD in a 25 PRC. Mostly because I already have the brass and dies basically.

Maybe @schamsy33 will share some of his info here - his results really got me excited about this cartridge - hopefully I can get all the components together before the barrel arrives! 🤞

25 prc wold be a hit,but I think Hornady would priortize a new cartridge in thier favor somehow.My 17.75" xp-100 25 cm does 135 bergers at 2670 fps,and my first exprience with Hammer bullet 92 hammer hunters at 3250 and 121 HH just below 2900 fps,but crucnching h4350.dang, if I only had about 5 more grains of capacity.I'LL try again with 6.5 sta bil.I don't know much about Hammer Hunters,about 2weeks usage , but the ogive is much foward than bergers, maybe Absolute hammers would work better,I don't know.The92 HH made two thumb size holes at 251 yds,hitting ribs along the wayI,m impressed.
Anyhow 257r and 284win are difficult for short action magazines and long bullets.Saums,wsm, prc need mag bolt.
So if I was Hornady,keeping the ball in my court long as possible ,I'd make a 243 AI/260Rem AI neck to 25 cal , 25 souper Improved ,I think it should run in a short action,maybe 260 ackley fellows can answer that.My 22-250 tikka is waiting for a barrel change,most likely 25-06 AI

Go for it. The 135s have been excellent for me on game and steel. I'm shooting them from a creedmoor but PRC would be a fun short ride! Barrel erosion on my 25-284 was pretty extreme compared to the creed case.

My girls are going to be old enough to hunt before long and was thinking about a 133 or 115 VLD in a 25 PRC. Mostly because I already have the brass and dies basically.
For kids I would be thinking smaller than any PRC. 6 or 6.5 creedmoor would be more manageable for a kid. If you're set on .25 cal and have the bullets already, lots of places chambering .25 creedmoor barrels. Better barrel life for the PRC too, brass to neck down readily available and I believe you just use a 6.5 die with the smaller neck bushing.

For kids I would be thinking smaller than any PRC. 6 or 6.5 creedmoor would be more manageable for a kid. If you're set on .25 cal and have the bullets already, lots of places chambering .25 creedmoor barrels. Better barrel life for the PRC too, brass to neck down readily available and I believe you just use a 6.5 die with the smaller neck bushing.
Thank you for the info!! I was almost debating a 22 creedmoor with 80gr. bergers for when they actually started. I'm just using them as an excuse mess around with more guns and cartridges hahahaha

Pretty hard to beat the 25 SST at 3200+ in a short action with head stamped ADG brass
What's the die situation and are reamers open source? I realize that this has probably been covered ad nauseum. But the sst phenomenon/wave came and went in the decade I sat out lrh. My search skills seem to get data points all over the last decade.

Last edited:
TAG… been pondering same. Crown Ridge did me right on a Rem 783 LA 284 barrel last year. He has the 25 PRC reamer. I'll prob go with. 22" 8 twist. Can't decide if I want to twist it on a Tikka, 783 or 700 clone. I have a hunch Hornady may follow Bergers lead and bring out a 130grn-ish 25cal pill too.

Recent Posts