25 cal barrel just arrived. What would you build?

Not to hijack a thread.....

But why?

Help me understand the need for such a heavy for caliber 257cal bullet? I don't know of a cartridge aside from one of the Allen magnums that could push this bullet fast enough to out preform something in the 130-140gr range. And what twist would this or the 163gr require? A 6 twist? Do you have a BC number on this bullet or the 163gr?

Hopefully you don't see this as an "attack" because I'd like to understand the thought process for something like this.

Not to hijack a thread.....

But why?

Help me understand the need for such a heavy for caliber 257cal bullet? I don't know of a cartridge aside from one of the Allen magnums that could push this bullet fast enough to out preform something in the 130-140gr range. And what twist would this or the 163gr require? A 6 twist? Do you have a BC number on this bullet or the 163gr?

Hopefully you don't see this as an "attack" because I'd like to understand the thought process for something like this.
"My" simple and honest answer is because I can. For many years, the .25 cal end-users, including the .257 WBY, were contend with 100 grainers until the 131 BJ came along. Barrel manufacturers started building faster twists to cater to the demand. Now we have 133/135 Bergers, 134 Hornady, 145 Black Hole, and Chinchaga 163s, and soon the 180s. Many people push the envelope by propelling light bullets as fast as possible, but I prefer to do so on the heavy bullet spectrum for the 600Y and beyond performance. Per Dale, 1:7" can stabilize the 163s and 180s. I anticipated bullet makers would push the envelope, too, so I opted for a 1:7" barrel on my .257 WBY.

Chinchaga has not shared the 163s BC, and I have not done any BC tests yet, but I am in no hurry. I have too many things going on at the same time. As a baseline, the 145 BC has a G7 of .371; my WAG is near the .39 for the 163. During my pressure test, I am pushing the 163 at 2915 FPS out of a 22" barrel with more room to spare. IMHO, it is not too shabby for my intended purpose. It is also the most budget-friendly build; no special dies or reamer is required, and components are readily available. Yes, the .257 AM would be an excellent system to propel these heavies.

Last edited:
What the fastest twist regardless of caliber they can make
Fast enough to raise pressure substantially so that it works hard against you, in obtaining velocity needed to justify extreme bullet weights in a given caliber.

That's why calibers have a general range in bullet weights, and barrel manufacturers have a general range in twist rates.

This isn't year one in discovery.

Like Feenix, I too love to much the envelope sorta speck. I was able to get the 163s up over 3000fps comfortably in my 257 Blackbird. But beings I have a 1-7.5 twist I started seeing some keyholes at my elevation. So I'm going to stick with the blackholes until I either rebarrel or try some 150-155grs.

Since this thread is about .25 caliber, the fastest advertised, IIRC, is 1:6."
I've held 1:3 twist 8.6blk barrels. It looks like acme threads when you look down the bore. I've never seen a 6tw 257cal barrel listed by a manufacturer but I've also never looked for one.

If 145+gr was the wave of the future we'd see more than 1 manufacturer making bullets in the 160-180gr range. Am all for pushing outside the box.... I just think working on something like a 125gr A-tip style bullet would be more fruitful than chasing "performance" with a bullet of 160-180gr dimensions. I hope it works out for yall who are burning the powder behind those bullets.

To quote a realist... "We CAN drive railroad spikes with tack hammers.
With a 1/3" range of motion.!"...but that doesn't mean it's effective.

Like Feenix, I too love to much the envelope sorta speck. I was able to get the 163s up over 3000fps comfortably in my 257 Blackbird. But beings I have a 1-7.5 twist I started seeing some keyholes at my elevation. So I'm going to stick with the blackholes until I either rebarrel or try some 150-155grs.
You were keyholeing 163gr bullets at with a 7.5tw at 3000fps?

Who's making 150-155's BGH338?

You are at 26" right?

I've held 1:3 twist 8.6blk barrels. It looks like acme threads when you look down the bore. I've never seen a 6tw 257cal barrel listed by a manufacturer but I've also never looked for one.

If 145+gr was the wave of the future we'd see more than 1 manufacturer making bullets in the 160-180gr range. Am all for pushing outside the box.... I just think working on something like a 125gr A-tip style bullet would be more fruitful than chasing "performance" with a bullet of 160-180gr dimensions. I hope it works out for yall who are burning the powder behind those bullets.

To quote a realist... "We CAN drive railroad spikes with tack hammers.
With a 1/3" range of motion.!"...but that doesn't mean it's effective.
I have no problem with one bullet manufacturer for the 145 or one manufacturer for the 163 and 180, and I do not care if these bullet weights are the wave of the future or not. They made it available, so I am giving it a try. I have plenty of .25 cal bullets from 115 to 135, and .25 cal is not the only caliber in my inventory to play with. Your intended purpose is not the same as mine, and what is fruitful to you is not the same as mine.