.22 Centerfires on Medium to Large game

.22 Centerfires on Medium to Large game?

• I have used .22 centerfires on medium and/or large game and with good shot placement they kill well.

Votes: 90 62.5%
  • I have used .22 centerfire on game, but even with good shot placement they don’t kill well.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • I have never used a .22 centerfire on game but don’t think it’s a good idea.

Votes: 46 31.9%
  • Can’t possibly work no matter what real world results show.

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
I am not saying that it will not work, I am saying that the vast majority shouldn't be attempting it.

That said, I bought a Tikka Superlite 223 and I fully intend to find out this fall exactly what it is capable of, if it works, I will build a full custom. I am also building a 22 Creedmoor

I saw this shortly after this thread started View attachment 583805
At the grocery store there is a rack full of condoms….and 3 rows with packages marked “large” “extra large” and “super”.
The only difference from the regular condoms is the wording printed on the box….there is no package of condoms marked “small”.

And no box of ammo says “ short range” either.

While I think a 22 cal is fine for hunting I get a kick out of folks saying “new bullet” technology enables it and using bullets like eldm or tmk. There is literally no new bullet technology there from terminal performance standpoint. They have very thin jacket for maximum accuracy. Not saying it won’t work but there is nothing special or “designed” with terminal performance in mind with these bullets. I know guys like to quote LE and FBI tests but those basically only say a bullet will penetrate somewhere between deep enough to reach the vitals on a person to eventually stop an attack while hoping to not over penetrate.

That being said, it has been well established for generations even a fragile 22 cal bullet works fine for lung shots. Problems with penetration with soft bullets (not just 22) can arise with higher impact velocities or where deeper penetration or through bone is required. This is because penetration has little do with starting SD and is predominately driven by bullet construction and impact velocity. Some experts who mysteriously claim a lot of kills say this can’t happen but it does sometimes. Guys who actually have experience may only see it once in a while but it tends to make them cautious. For ex, I have seen several posts on this site alone where guys mention it. Personally, I would have no problem hunting deer with a 22 cal, but I would use an accubond or similar or limit shots to avoid bone or where deep penetratiom is required (ie quartering)

Lou

Do we really need another thread on the subject? I think people have aired their feelings on the subject pretty well the last couple of days.

I’ll continue to use my 22 Creed for deer and antelope, others feel differently about it and that’s totally fine.
Exactly..... people will be people wether right or wrong....it's a personal choice...talking here isn't going to sway anyone who's mind is made up!

At the grocery store there is a rack full of condoms….and 3 rows with packages marked “large” “extra large” and “super”.
The only difference from the regular condoms is the wording printed on the box….there is no package of condoms marked “small”.

And no box of ammo says “ short range” either.

That reminds me of the Russian propaganda joke

I've killed a couple deer, and javelina as well with a 223 Rem.

Growing up in Mexico we shot what we could get. Ammo non existent at the time, reloading was the only way, and components weren't available for all cartridges.

For both deer I used a 60gr hollow point, don't even remember the brand, both times did the job. Javelinas are easier to kill, usually a head shot will do it.

All kills were 300 yes or less though, so no long range.

Would I use one now? Provably not, but at the time I was 9 yrs old. Couple years after that I was hunting with a 7mm-08. A braked 7mm-08 for my son is the plan.

Last edited:
Anyone have an idea on this bunny snuffer? Pic below. Looks like a diff case than the 22-250. Really curious on the details.
Also anyone have a side by side for the 22-250 and the 22 CM?

Attachments

• F7268698-B217-4D1C-BA43-8D04645D598E.jpeg
    F7268698-B217-4D1C-BA43-8D04645D598E.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 55
I have some experience culling Fallow and Red deer using 22-250 and 222Rem, in both cases, we HAD to use what was offered, which were Nosler 60g Partitions and loaded locally, but not by us. Did this for 10 years seasonally. Culling is NOT hunting, so take this as you will…

Now, as to hunting the Fallow deer with 22’s, I found follow ups and tracking to being the off putting part, tried numerous bullets, SP, HP, FP & solid copper. The only bullets that produced quick kills were 55g & 60g Ballistic Tips in standard twist 22-250’s.
Moving to 22-250AI 7” twist, we used 77g-88g bullets in many styles, hunting & target, these killed just like larger calibre bullets and are completely different to 50g-60g bullets in performance.
My partner uses a 223 with 69g bullets, bullets are contracted, so choice is nil, however, they work very well on the deer we hunt.

Shot placement is key, broadside shots are desired and we pass on quartering and rear end shots.

Cheers.

Okay I looked before but never found anything. But just came across this. Seems like it’s a version of a 243 but shortened a little.

“It's basically a 22BR reamed deeper to utilize Lapua 243 parent brass”

I've been using the 22/250 (as well the AI) and the Swift since 1978 that's when I met the boys at the Powder Horn (Bill, George JR and Sr, as well as Scenar). They introduced me to the wonderful world of the big 22's. At first I was like many on this thread, a sceptic with no experience. But, these fellas were great hunters and new their guns and so I trusted them.

After using them for 46 years, I've more than a bit experience in seeing small big game like deer, lopes and black bears as well large game like elk taken with them. I realize that rounds like this are not for all, nor do they need to be. Those that are "twitchy" (and a lot of hunters are...) and those that just have to shoot no matter what need not apply. By this I mean one has to be a bit patient, cool and calm in the presence of game and have the patience to wait for the right shot angle (those that are like this will be so irregardless of cartridge size).

IMO we all have our limitations, we have times when we should and should not be shooting. Range, wind, angles of the shot, our ability to be calm, and our choice of weapon be it a bow, pistol or rifle. The key is to have the discipline to know when you should or shouldn't take the shot. For me, I want to be 110% sure that it's going to be a one round knock out!

Regarding mono's vs standard cup n cores, I've used them both A Lot! I've found the 55's-63' standard cup n cores to be much quicker killers than the Mono's. Note I didn't say they'd kill them any deader, it's just that the time that elapses between the shot and the time the critter is on the turf is quite a bit quicker with the standard cup n core bullets. Probably a matter of seconds but it's real.

The farthest we've shot game is 505 on a lope we just couldn't close the gap on, It took one 55 NSB and a step and pitched over...ready for the grill, well almost ready for the grill:)

Another thing I read is how one needs to take head, neck shots etc. This is horse hockey and to me shows a lack of experience. My preferred shot it tight behind the front on a broadside or a slight quarter away shot. If one uses this shot selection with the 55's-63's the critter will hit the turf 93% of the time at the shot. And be down and out, where as a high shoulder shot often times the critter needs another one (with the 22's or with bigger guns).

The V-Max will work on good broadside shots but is a bit in the gray area for me and being as elk are generally on the menu as well I prefer a bit stouter bullet. I've used a hand full of different one's over the years but the following are far and away my rock stars.

*55 Horn w/c
*60 Horn HP ( as well the SP)
*63 Sierra (my fav)
*52/55/60 Nosler Solid Base

Any of these will do one proud on any of the game I hunt here on a yearly basis in Montana. Including on shoulder blade shots on elk, the bullet will punch thru and tear up the lungs and then it's game over!

I won't go into the number of critters I've take with the Big 22's and or have seen taken but suffice to say it's well into the triple digits. In the last several years alone we had49 one shot kills on 49 head of game (the 50th took two as the first shot hit a bit far back) between 35 and 410 yds with the 60 Horn HP (mainly) and a few with the 63 Sierra. Of those 93% of them went right down, I mean straight freaking down! There was only a couple of them that ran, the longest being a 110 pound doe that I shot at 120 yds, she went about 35 yards which really shocked me....Generally though the game has went straight down.

Rarely will a bullet stay inside, the pretty much always exit. Even on a big cow I shot a couple years ago. A bit over 300 yds, the 63 went in behind the left front and exited low on the right shoulder. She went 15 yds or so and went to Croak City Wyoming.....

Over the last 46 years I recall very few that needed a second shot, and recall very few that ran if at all.

A couple years back I built a 6.5 pound "all up" (scope, sling rounds) 22/250 AI with a 8 twist. it shoots the heavies extremely well. I'll be interested to get serious with it see how it perks on game. As effective as the 55's-63's have been and with the speed of how quickly they kill I'll be shocked and amazed if the heavies can do it any quicker. If anything I expect it to be a bit slower of kills. But the heavies will play nicer in the wind that's for sure (once one gets out there a ways).

Bottom line with all of this we need to find what we're comfy with and go with it. For me and my family I'm very comfy with using the Big 22's and could use them and them only for the rest of my days no problem (I'm 65 so I've seen some killing).

Trying to determine what percentage of opinions on .22 centerfires on medium and large game are based on actual experience doing so vs conjecture or intuition.

Definitions:

Good shot placement: putting a bullet through heart and/or both lungs.

Good bullet: said bullet will penetrate to reach heart and/or lungs with adequate expansion to disrupt function of said organs.
John,
I would have voted but you didn't have a category for "haven't shot an animal with a centerfire .22 but I would if given the opportunity"!