NXS or Razor LHT

Tiny Tim

Looking for a scope for my "short range" 308 Winchester. Main use will be from deer drives to 300 yards stand hunting, and possibly/occasionally out to 500 yards. Rifle is BAT Igniter action, Triggertech Special, AG Composites Alpine Hunter, 20" Bartlein 10tw barrel, and Hawkins bottom metal w/Wyatt's Baney Box.

Trying to stay under 2K, keep low mag near 2x, weight around 20oz, prefer MOA reticle. Considered a LPVO but most are either too heavy or expensive (or have something I personally dislike). Also not a fan of Leupold"s in this range for various reasons. Considered the Trijicon Credo, but it's MRAD (from what I've seen available).

The two scopes that seem to check most of my boxes are the NXS 2.5-10x42 and the Razor HD LHT 3-15x42. Wondering if anyone has any experience with both. Open to some other options I may have missed.

Thanks in advance!

Trijicon tenmile HX 3-18 would be a good option to consider. I would choose the NF over the vortex for durability reasons. I really like my LHT and haven't had an issue but I've seen some testing from reliable sources that show a reason to be careful with them.

WeiserBucks,

I've had a few of their scopes. Only one that hasn't had problems is and old gen 1 viper pst. Not the greatest glass, but turrets have been good and reliable. No experience with their products in probably 10 years. Wasn't sure how much improvement has been made. Although from ones I've looked through more recently, glass clarity has improved.

Looking for a scope for my "short range" 308 Winchester. Main use will be from deer drives to 300 yards stand hunting, and possibly/occasionally out to 500 yards. Rifle is BAT Igniter action, Triggertech Special, AG Composites Alpine Hunter, 20" Bartlein 10tw barrel, and Hawkins bottom metal w/Wyatt's Baney Box.

Trying to stay under 2K, keep low mag near 2x, weight around 20oz, prefer MOA reticle. Considered a LPVO but most are either too heavy or expensive (or have something I personally dislike). Also not a fan of Leupold"s in this range for various reasons. Considered the Trijicon Credo, but it's MRAD (from what I've seen available).

The two scopes that seem to check most of my boxes are the NXS 2.5-10x42 and the Razor HD LHT 3-15x42. Wondering if anyone has any experience with both. Open to some other options I may have missed.

Thanks in advance!
If you're interested in the Trijicon Credo, they have pretty much everything in MOA in the Credo HX line unless you're looking at the 2-10x36 which has a MRAD and MOA option in the Credo line.

I'm no NF fan having owned an SHV FFP and an ATACR, but in this instance I would choose it over the Vortex. I had both the SFP and FFP versions of the LHT and felt it left a lot to be desired. Vortex is trying to make it behave/look like a classic American scope, so you have a bit of a glossier finish that doesn't seem that durable. They American style ocular adjustment with the tensioning ring which saves weight but is kind of a hassle compared to a European style fast focus eye piece. Mine also would get loose so I had to check it even though it was a low round count hunting rifle. The turrets are not very tactile and the one button illumination is not very functional or well executed.

I think NF is typically grossly overpriced, I don't like their reticles, the whole eyepiece spins when you adjust the magnification so you can't use a rear lens cap, and their turrets aren't that great. If you are willing to compromise on weight a little, I think you will get a lot more options within your price range.

The 2-20 NX8 is in your range of cost but heavier.
It offers a lot for its price, and unless you are getting younger that higher magnification will likely prove useful at some point.
I've looked at that model in the past. Nice scope, but wasn't the be all-end all I'd hoped it would be.

WeiserBucks,

I've had a few of their scopes. Only one that hasn't had problems is and old gen 1 viper pst. Not the greatest glass, but turrets have been good and reliable. No experience with their products in probably 10 years. Wasn't sure how much improvement has been made. Although from ones I've looked through more recently, glass clarity has improved.
Once again, if you want a scope that works don't buy a Vortex. If you want a cheap scope that has decent glass, great warranty and doesn't work correctly buy a Vortex.

Recent Posts