.22 Centerfires on Medium to Large game

.22 Centerfires on Medium to Large game?

• I have used .22 centerfires on medium and/or large game and with good shot placement they kill well.

Votes: 79 62.7%
  • I have used .22 centerfire on game, but even with good shot placement they don’t kill well.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used a .22 centerfire on game but don’t think it’s a good idea.

Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Can’t possibly work no matter what real world results show.

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
Buddy of mine used to get depredation permits for deer control in the orchards, shots ranged from 20-350 yds. All he ever used was an old Remington 788 in 22-250 with 50 gr. Sierra Blitz. I never seen him ever lose a deer( literally 100’s) all shot in the lung area. They were dead before they knew it. Not all perfect shots either, they would get pretty wild pretty quickly. Different world back then, Game Department would issue the permits, and you would dress the deer and they would come pick up for food for the jail…..today with much lower populations they don’t do much, maybe put you on a list to get some fencing-maybe….

I think it's time you Nancy Boys quit shooting your wife and kids rifles and grow a pair and start shooting a real big game caliber
How many animals, deer sized and up, have you killed with a .22 center fire pushing 88gr ELD-Ms or similar bullets? How many of those animals that you shot with said combination did you lose? What was the shot placement? How far did they run? I’m very interested in your experience with high velocity, high BC .224 bullets in medium sized game.

John

I’ve seen a whitetail deer shot with 77 tmk and would have no problem using it. In fact I may do it a few times this year to get more personal data.

From the gel tests I’ve seen there is nothing to worry about at any velocity adequate for upset/expansion.

I think people radically over complicate killing a deer

How many animals, deer sized and up, have you killed with a .22 center fire pushing 88gr ELD-Ms or similar bullets? How many of those animals that you shot with said combination did you lose? What was the shot placement? How far did they run? I’m very interested in your experience with high velocity, high BC .224 bullets in medium sized game.

John
I'm guessing you're not that biga fella :)

I helped wildlife biologist in culling and removing body part of deer for testing. Myself and game warden were using 22-250 and 55 grain Vmax to kill the deer. After the fifth deer we brought in we were asked to shoot them with something else. They were having a hard time getting enough clean lung tissue for their test. We went to 308 win and they were happy. Go figure.

I helped wildlife biologist in culling and removing body part of deer for testing. Myself and another game warden were using 22-250 and 55 grain Vmax to kill the deer. After the fifth deer we brought in we were asked to shoot them with something else. They were having a hard time getting enough clean lung tissue for their test. We went to 308 win and they were happy. Go figure.
Yup it all depends on bullet construction. Not the size of the fella lol.