.22 Centerfires on Medium to Large game

.22 Centerfires on Medium to Large game?

• I have used .22 centerfires on medium and/or large game and with good shot placement they kill well.

Votes: 173 63.1%
  • I have used .22 centerfire on game, but even with good shot placement they don’t kill well.

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • I have never used a .22 centerfire on game but don’t think it’s a good idea.

Votes: 80 29.2%
  • Can’t possibly work no matter what real world results show.

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
I've killed several whitetail does in Oklahoma with a .223 Rem, and 22-250; it was a long time ago, 55 grain Hornady spire points, and I had a couple just not die quickly. I'm sure with the newer bullets that problem has more than likely vanished, but one of the does, shot right at dark, watched her go down, but when I got to her she got up and ran off. I left her alone for a couple of hours, came back, and she didn't go fifty yards, but it was so dark I couldn't see her when she ran off. The coyotes beat me to her, and that was the last deer I shot with a 22 centerfire, probably 25 years ago.

I've used the 55 Berger "Target" on deer and lopes and it's done well.

The 73 Berger "Target" shoots great in my 6.5 lb 84M in 22/250 AI with 8 twist. I expect to hammer several head this fall with this combo. Friend here shot a nice elk with the 73 as well, shot was 250 yds, said volunteer took 2 stutter steps and bounced

The term "Medium Game" is pretty broad. I would probably be comfortable using a .22 centerfire on a pronghorn antelope (it's legal with the right ammunition here in Wyoming) or a whitetail deer (not legal here).

I would not feel comfortable using a .22 centerfire on a mule deer or elk here.

There are some parts of the country where whitetail deer are large enough where I wouldn't use one.

I have never wounded and lost a game animal…because I have enough firearms to use the right caliber for the game I'm pursuing. I have no need (or interest) in chasing a game animal with a marginal caliber.

I have many, many .22 centerfire rifles and I use them extensively for varmint shooting and some "small" predators like coyotes.

Back in the day of depredation permits in Northern California I would say I killed at least 30 deer with a 22 mag 50 grain JHP from ranges 10 to 125 yds. None got away. One took a second follow up shot. I shot my 22-250 with an old Nosler bullet called the Zipedo. 55 grains with a ribbed shank. Prob the earliest version of the solid base. Used for varmints, but killed 20 hogs and 6 bucks between 26 and 250 yds. This was a light load for 22-250 with 31 grains of 3031. I want to say around 3300 fps. Slow by 22-250 standards. Killed excellent 👌. Would I shoot an elk? Never. It's strictly a varmint rifle today. I like 243 to 6.5s for deer sized game, hogs. The 25-06 and 257 Weatherby I've killed elk with, and would again under 400 yds in a pinch. My sons and nephews have 6.5 Creeds. We used them on elk with mixed results. They graduated to 7 mags and have been doing much better.

At the grocery store there is a rack full of condoms….and 3 rows with packages marked "large" "extra large" and "super".
The only difference from the regular condoms is the wording printed on the box….there is no package of condoms marked "small".

And no box of ammo says " short range" either.
Some just know where the finger condoms are lol.

I think the real question should have been how well they killed with poor shot placement.
Poor placement always has the possibility of an ensuing rodeo. But from my experience a poorly placed (behind the diaphram in the guts) shot from a Swift or 22/250 with the 55-63 HP's and SP's has always resulted in the critter hitting the turf and or not having any interest in going anywhere.

Hit them with a bigger round, in particular with a hard bullet (mono) and things will be a heck of a lot tougher to recover than if the bullet was placed in the same place with a 22/250 or Swift.

When I first started using the Big 22's (back in 1978) I was a bit of a skeptic as well. That quickly changed once I really started to use them. Guess the world wasn't flat after all eh:)

340 in VA: what bullets have you used on deer/lopes out of 22/250's and Swifts?

Just adding to the body count here. I have gone on doe hunts with my 5.56 AR15 using 65 grain Sierra Game Kings. Always under 100 yards, they kill well for me. That said, if I still have antler tags left, I carry the 300 Hamr.

Lot of deer have been killed with a 223. I don't do it (I stick with the 77/44 or 450 bushmaster), but with the proper load and gun, I could see a 22-250, 220 swift, or creed being a good gun for kids for 200 yard deer. Personally I won't even drop down to the 6mm class
Just because you can use a 22 center fire for large game why would you, with so many better cartridges out there, not ideal..IMHO

Bring this back up again..............from an earlier post of mine in this thread

I've been using the 22/250 (as well the AI) and the Swift since 1978 that's when I met the boys at the Powder Horn (Bill, George JR and Sr, as well as Scenar). They introduced me to the wonderful world of the big 22's. At first I was like many on this thread, a sceptic with no experience. But, these fellas were great hunters and new their guns and so I trusted them.

After using them for 46 years, I've more than a bit experience in seeing small big game like deer, lopes and black bears as well large game like elk taken with them. I realize that rounds like this are not for all, nor do they need to be. Those that are "twitchy" (and a lot of hunters are...) and those that just have to shoot no matter what need not apply. By this I mean one has to be a bit patient, cool and calm in the presence of game and have the patience to wait for the right shot angle (those that are like this will be so irregardless of cartridge size).

IMO we all have our limitations, we have times when we should and should not be shooting. Range, wind, angles of the shot, our ability to be calm, and our choice of weapon be it a bow, pistol or rifle. The key is to have the discipline to know when you should or shouldn't take the shot. For me, I want to be 110% sure that it's going to be a one round knock out!

Regarding mono's vs standard cup n cores, I've used them both A Lot! I've found the 55's-63' standard cup n cores to be much quicker killers than the Mono's. Note I didn't say they'd kill them any deader, it's just that the time that elapses between the shot and the time the critter is on the turf is quite a bit quicker with the standard cup n core bullets. Probably a matter of seconds but it's real.

The farthest we've shot game is 505 on a lope we just couldn't close the gap on, It took one 55 NSB and a step and pitched over...ready for the grill, well almost ready for the grill:)

Another thing I read is how one needs to take head, neck shots etc. This is horse hockey and to me shows a lack of experience. My preferred shot it tight behind the front on a broadside or a slight quarter away shot. If one uses this shot selection with the 55's-63's the critter will hit the turf 93% of the time at the shot. And be down and out, where as a high shoulder shot often times the critter needs another one (with the 22's or with bigger guns).

The V-Max will work on good broadside shots but is a bit in the gray area for me and being as elk are generally on the menu as well I prefer a bit stouter bullet. I've used a hand full of different one's over the years but the following are far and away my rock stars.

*55 Horn w/c
*60 Horn HP ( as well the SP)
*63 Sierra (my fav)
*52/55/60 Nosler Solid Base

Any of these will do one proud on any of the game I hunt here on a yearly basis in Montana. Including on shoulder blade shots on elk, the bullet will punch thru and tear up the lungs and then it's game over!

I won't go into the number of critters I've take with the Big 22's and or have seen taken but suffice to say it's well into the triple digits. In the last several years alone we had49 one shot kills on 49 head of game (the 50th took two as the first shot hit a bit far back) between 35 and 410 yds with the 60 Horn HP (mainly) and a few with the 63 Sierra. Of those 93% of them went right down, I mean straight freaking down! There was only a couple of them that ran, the longest being a 110 pound doe that I shot at 120 yds, she went about 35 yards which really shocked me....Generally though the game has went straight down.

Rarely will a bullet stay inside, the pretty much always exit. Even on a big cow I shot a couple years ago. A bit over 300 yds, the 63 went in behind the left front and exited low on the right shoulder. She went 15 yds or so and went to Croak City Wyoming.....

Over the last 46 years I recall very few that needed a second shot, and recall very few that ran if at all.

A couple years back I built a 6.5 pound "all up" (scope, sling rounds) 22/250 AI with a 8 twist. it shoots the heavies extremely well. I'll be interested to get serious with it see how it perks on game. As effective as the 55's-63's have been and with the speed of how quickly they kill I'll be shocked and amazed if the heavies can do it any quicker. If anything I expect it to be a bit slower of kills. But the heavies will play nicer in the wind that's for sure (once one gets out there a ways).

Bottom line with all of this we need to find what we're comfy with and go with it. For me and my family I'm very comfy with using the Big 22's and could use them and them only for the rest of my days no problem (I'm 65 so I've seen some killing).