22 cal showdown

Im shooting a 8 twist 22-250 with 26" tube 75gr berger vld at 3243. I'm not pushing it hard as it is very accurate with this load. My wife nicknamed the gun little lightning. I recently tried the 75gr eld-m and they shoot great. I will be switching over to them just cause of cost (a lot of prairie dogs here)

After experience with .22-250, 22-250 AI, I built a .22-6.5X47 40 degree shoulder. Unlike the standard .22-250, it utilized small rifle primers. I am still shooting the rifle with 80gr Sierra Tipped MKs (which do expand) at 500 yards (the limit of our range). It was built with an 8 twist barrel. Actually I am on the second barrel. If I was to build a new rifle, I would look at a .22 Creedmore because you can choose small or large primer pockets. The choice of primers is what separates the cartridges you list.

I don't hunt varmints with centerfire rifles at long range as a course of habit, only for some practice. My centerfire rifles in this class are for predators and as a rancher I don't like taking chances on long shots. Sometimes there are exceptions and I will usually step up to (243 Win) 25-06 in that case.

The bulk of my daytime stuff gets 22-250 and a 12 twist with a fast expanding bullet. The range runs from powder burns on the fur to a shade past 300 yds. The bulk of those shots fall into the 200 yd and a bit of change, it just works. It might be boring to some but it is reality.

I worked with 223 for the past 13 years and have certainly killed a fair number of coyotes with them and will continue to do some but just getting back into 22-250 after a 13 year drought has made me appreciate the larger cartridge all the more.

The other cartridges mentioned are all fine I am sure but they are really just tweaks on the master (22-250). The 22-250 AI certainly deserves honorable mention and it would not take much coaxing for me to try one. I can see less brass growth and less back thrust as very useful improvements.

Three44s

Hello New to the sight just found it yesterday. I have a Rem 700 action 22-250 1-9 twist CBI heavy varmint barrel, gun works trigger and a chote (I cant remember what model) shock. Its pushing a 69gr SMK with a little bit of varget. This thing shoots awesome I cant speak for the other rounds but a 22-250 is defiantly a grate shooting round, and would recommend it to anyone.

I started loading for the 22-250 before I was in jr. high. We used 4064 for it. It was very accurate.
If I were to get another another .22 caliber, it would be the -250 a.i. . Everyone talks about the fireforming issue. I've only got one rifles experience for fireforming, and it's all been a good experience. With factory ammo being 1 m.o.a. or better, I don't get the issue.

Looking to build a new coyote rifle, and deciding between 4 cartridges... 22-250, 22 creed, 22 nosler and 224 Valkyrie.

Would also like to use on targets out to 1000 which my exclude the 22-250.

The 22 Nosler and 224 Valk, IMO, aren't even in the same category and like someone already mentioned, unless this is going to be an AR build, they really aren't comparable.

If you're wanting to shoot out to 1000 yards then you're going to want something with at least an 8 twist barrel to shoot the 75+ gr bullets and for me, if I'm shooting bullets that heavy from a .22 cal I want some horsepower behind it so I'd go with something like a 22-243 or do like I'm doing and have Defensive Edge build you a 224 Terminator and you can buy formed brass from them which will save you time and barrel life.

Otherwise, I'd build a 22 Creed which is pretty much a twin to the 22-250AI but without the extra cost, work, and barrel life of forming brass. That's not to say forming brass is any big deal, but there is no denying, at the least, there is extra time and money involved to form brass and depending on your method of forming, you're running more bullets down the barrel of an already somewhat short-ish barrel life cartridge.

My third choice, and it certainly wouldn't be a distant third choice, would be to build a straight 22-250. The 22-250 is an excellent varmint cartridge and with Lapua brass there isn't much to not like about it.

Googled it a bit didn't find, parent case capacity etc., if you have a moment to fill in the gap I'd appreciate it.

I'm not 100% on the parent case but I am pretty sure Shawn is using the 243 Win as the parent case for the 224 Terminator, then improving it similar, or the same, as he does with his 260 Terminator, but obviously in a .22 caliber version. I'm not sure if it will have the same +P throat as his 260 Terminator or not but I believe it'll be something to that affect. They've built my dad and I quite a few guns now and never had one not deliver so whatever they decide on is fine by me.

Already having multiple other rifles that require fireforming I probably wouldn't be having yet another "improved" version of something built but Defensive Edge offers formed Lapua brass for just about all of their proprietary Terminator cartridges so that'll make it nice not to have to form brass.

I built a 22-250AI a few years ago and love it. I'm shooting 80 grainers at just of 3k from a suppressed 22 inch barrel. It's murder on deer, hogs, yotes, coons, skunks and any other vermin you point it at.

If I had know about the 22 Creed it would have been a tough choice. The creed doesn't require fire forming but mine shot under .5 moa in fire forming and now shoots under point .5 out to 600 yards. I actually shot a 3/4" 25 shot group while fire forming.

I just saw that the Nosler Accubond is being made in an 80 grainer. Not the best to go out to 1k but should be a great hunting boolet.

.......I am pretty sure Shawn is using the 243 Win as the parent case for the 224 Terminator, then improving it similar, or the same, as he does with his 260 Terminator, but obviously in a .22 caliber version. I'm not sure if it will have the same +P throat as his 260 Terminator or not but I believe it'll be something to that affect. They've built my dad and I quite a few guns now and never had one not deliver so whatever they decide on is fine by me.......

Thanks!

I know Nosler is making a 70gr .22 cal Accubond that is supposed to be available any day now but I've never heard anything about a 80gr Accubond. Nosler has a new 85gr RDF .22 caliber bullet out but that's not part of their Accubond line.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.