2012 Wyoming antelope questions

mhagood

I am planning for me and a few friends to go to Wyoming next year on an antelope hunt. I know a lot of you hunt up that way and have a lot of experience. I am looking for suggestions on what units to put in for.
1st choice looking for the best unit that I would have a decent chance of drawing say something like 50% chance or so. 2nd and 3rd choice just something that would guarantee that we get drawn.
Would prefer it be a unit where we could get at least one D/F tag a piece. We have no points. I am sure some of you have drawn some units with no points that you would recommend. I appreciate any help I can get.

Although I cannot suggest any particular units, I can tell you to look at the WY game and fish website. They will show you all of the units and the odds of being drawn.

Also, when applying for tags, you can apply as a group/party. That way everyone in your group draws or nobody draws.

Finally, be sure to buy a conservation stamp. It is a legal must-have in WY.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/2-va-lrhers-eastern-wy-78874/

in WY they call their odds reports, demand Index's. Go to the btm of the "hunting" page, download 2010 and 2011 demand indexes for BOTH the NR draw, regular and special. Also the random and pref point indexes.
Take a highlighter and mark the hunts in the RANDOM draw that had fewer applicants than remaining tags, you will then know which units can be drawn as a 2nd choice and may actually have left over tags. Do the same for the "special" draw (expensive draw).
When done you will know which cheap draw hunts should be available as well as those hunts that should be available in the "special" draw. Generally, there are higher quality hunts available for 2nd choice in the special draw because it costs more to apply.
If it were me, I would gain points and draw 2nd choice hunts while figuring out where I wanted to burn points.
You can also buy "left over" tags in July but I would research those units and fine ones with HMA or walk in access.

draw odds:
http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/hunting/stats/demandpdf/index.asp

Thanks for the info. I have studied there website, and looked at a lot of maps. I know a lot of the areas are marked as being limited access. You read a lot of people saying they hunted areas that were suppose to be not much access but they didn't have any trouble so I am just confused i guess on which units to apply for. Would love to hear from some folks that have been there or live there with some recommendations on which units would be the best to apply for 1st 2nd 3rd choices to try get best area i can with no points but be assured i can get drawn.

If you want to be as assured as you can, you need to go over the odds and note the units. The ones that are drawn with zero points will have pvt land and smaller Bucks. Private land isn't much of an issue if there is a 30,000 acre HMA in the unit. There is also a lot of BLM. You may need to go from one section to another but it's not too much trouble. You also need to go to the WY hunter mgt. web page and see what's available for walk in areas for those drawable units as well.

There is no "best unit" for zero points. Most of those drawn at that level will be pretty much the same. You don't even need to get drawn. My daughter and I hunted 30 on left over tags in 2010, shot 3 bucks in an evening and morning hunt.

You really need to lay out the odds, mark them up, then search some different forums to see what people think of them.

Thanks for the info. Maybe some folks will post the area they have hunted and share there good or bad experiences. I Have been looking at the odds and areas. And was thinking about putting in for 32 or 73 for my first choice looks like about a 10% chance on that one. 42 for my second choice looks like about a 75% chance drawing this on second choice, and 31 or 25 for 3rd choice seems likes either of these would be about 100%. Does anyone have any experience in these areas or think another unit would be a better choice for one of these.
If it makes any difference we want to be able to stay in motel.

30, 31, and 32 are probably about the same, quality wise. Quantity was down in unit 30, for the 2010 hunt but 12" bucks were there. All 3 have HMA areas.
Those units are pretty much "enjoy the outdoors with a kid" type hunt. Not really taxidermy Buck type units. We stayed at the Cmon Inn on the East end of Casper.

What would you consider taxidermy worthy. Being from Alabama I don't know anyone that has ever killed an antelope so a 12 or 13 inch may end up on the wall if I kill one. When you stayed at the c'mon inn which unit did you hunt and did y'all just hunt public land

I hunted an HMA in unit 30.
Taxidermy size is different for everybody. When I was a lot younger I shot a "dink" that was 15 1/2". That's a pretty good buck now days. Lots of Antelope pics in the Antelope forum. Start looking at pics.

Do you know anything about the hunting down around Laramie. Unit 43 has two HMA areas which look like pretty good size. Are there as many down that way as compared to Casper area.
Anyone on here ever hunted unit 43.

I agree, trophy quality is indeed up to the individual. I was with two hunters this fall who shot pronghorn under 16 inches on the same afternoon only a couple of miles apart. Both antelope scored Boone and Crockett at 84+. Remember, length is only one measurement in the equation. FWIW, both were taken on land open to everyone (established road walk-in area).

As I read through the posts regarding antelope in Wyoming, it occurs to me that a lot of nonresident hunters are hunting close to population centers (like Casper) in areas that are managed to service fairly large numbers of hunters given the carrying capacity. Yeah, I know folks need motels, campgrounds, a meat processor, and in some cases an airport. To be honest, there is no reason why a DIY hunter can't have multiple opportunities (on say a 3 day hunt) at antelope in the high 70's to low 80's if you just pick the right area and do some homework. Of course, those areas generally have lower odds of drawing.

mhagood:

I was raised in Laramie and I worked in Medicine Bow for several years. Back in the 1970's and early 1980's area 42 had huge numbers of very nice mature bucks. Alas, times do change. Yeah, there are some decent antelope to be had, but access is now a problem. I drove through the area last winter for old times sake, and I couldn't believe how things have changed. I would get a hold of a game warden out of Medicine Bow or Laramie and ask about access before applying. The same holds true for area 43.

Every year I meet folks that come out here to shoot a goat, for the most part it usually works out pretty well if they do there home work and and have an idea what to expect once they get out here. But in lot of those cases hunters that have never been out here don't have a clue how to hunt these critters in different areas of the state. There is more to hunting Antelope than just drawing and finding land to hunt. You had mentioned the areas around Laramie, some of it is rolling hills with Sage Brush not to bad for "putting the sneak on a goat" but allot of it has no brush or trees or even hills for that fact. The same goes for the areas around Cheyenne and a bunch of other areas around the state. I hear the same thing from out of state hunters Evey year " how the hell do you get close enough to get a good shot at these things"? Several years ago a my cousin had some friends come out from Pennsylvania the had permits for area 38 I found them some private land to hunt and let them go as they where all experienced hunters and I had to work. I figured it would be no problem, they all had what I figured where long range capable rifles, they shot and practiced 3 or 4 times a week. To make a long story short after 3 days of hunting hard they had exactly ZIP. I couldn't figure what they where doing wrong, on Saturday I took them out and got a great education on such things as judging distance, stealth, and the big one "Buck Fever". It took most of the day to get them there 4 goats it wasn't there fault they where just using back east hunting tactics out here and it didn't work. So the first thing I would recommend would be find an area that offers some cover, the central and western part of the state have areas of Sage and hills and generally make it easier to hunt. I'm not saying that you cant get a good shot at a goat out on the flats I do it every year I just cant explain a lifetime of experience in a paragraph. As far as finding a place to stay almost every little town will have a motel and a Café, maybe not 5 star but usually a nice place to stay. You will probably find it to be allot more friendly than some big motel in a city. Also driving 100 miles out here is nothing I drive 150 miles every year to where I hunt we rarely stay over night, so yes 300+ miles in one day is no big deal.

So find an area, if you don't draw find another, do some research. In resent years I found a cool little tool to look at possible areas, Google Earth. Yup bring up a satellite view of the areas your looking at and it will give you an idea of whats there besides roads and towns like you see on a map. You can call the game warden in the area you draw and he will be able to give you some ideas of access either public or private. If its private land call ahead try and get permission before you come out. Make reservations motels get a little busy that time of year. The most important thing Respect the Land, and the game. Years ago it was quite common to hear about "chasing goats" that is not acceptable at all any more. You will have much better luck if you spot from the truck and stalk on foot. I hope this helps, if I can help out when you decide where you want to hunt let me know.

Bob

Last edited:
Very good article. I'm an easterner trying to plan a 2012 hunt. I'm having alot of problems trying to figure the good areas from the bad. Any clues? Just want meat, but horns would be a nice bonus. Help me, help me!gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.