20 Gauge on Elk

I dont know about the 20gauge. In a unit I used to hunt we had a short range weapons season and I shot a 12gauge with some kind of winchester shell I think. It was like a 385gr. bullet. Anyways, I have killed 3elk with it 2 of which were 1 shot kills and the third probablly would of been but I kind of have this thing of dont stop shooting till an elks feet are anywhere other than below him so. Oh I also killed a whitetail at close to 175yrds with it. I want to say it was like 160something but cant remember the exact number. both of the one shot kill elk were right at about 100yrds with complete passthrough. Not my first choice of gun but I wouldnt be afeared of chasin elk with it at short distance

Most of the time they are very lethal but a Foster slug can hit a shoulder @ 40 yards and not do much damage! The hollow point sabots can either open up and fly through a critter like a helicoptor or pensil through leaving no blood trail to follow.

Thanks for the gouge on the gauge.

I never intended to start a debate. I shot my first deer ever with this rifle last year and was very impressed, through and through shot.

I agree with the poster that all living creatures deserve a quick and humane death...Even the ones who desire to end our way of life for theirs...

I recently posted about a 300WSM or a 338 WinMag...Please give me some guidance on tht as well.

Thanks
Shane

.300 WSM or .338 Win Mag

I recently posted about a 300WSM or a 338 WinMag...Please give me some guidance on tht as well.

Thanks
Shane

Shane,

The .338 Win Mag is among the best all-round elk cartridges ever, sitting right behind the .340 Weatherby. The .300 WSM is a good elk cartridge that can do double-duty for deer. The .338 throws a heavier bullet so penetration can be better, which is a plus if shot placement isn't perfect. Neither has recoil that is too much for the average hunter. The .300 has an advantage in that every gun shop on the continent has shells to fit. I believe you will be happy with either.

Ron

I just got a 300 wsm browing X bolt. I'll be taking it to the range next week but what I've heard from a lot of others is that it will shoot bug holes all day long. I went with the .30 cal beause all the loadings for 300wsm is out their. anything from accubond, barnes, bergers in HSM, you name it its in a shell. about the same balistics as a 300 win mag. 300wsm is suposed to shoot between 150 gr and 180 gr bullets a tad faster theen the 300 win. You can shoot bigger bullets you loose a little speed about 80-100 fps with the 200 grainers from what I read off of load info.

I went with the browning X bolt. I liked the clip, the new factory trigger was a great improvement over the a bolt. The top saftt on the bolt is nice also you dont have to throw the safty off to open and load the gun. Definatly check one out, unless your going custom. heres mine

Myrifle30-378012.jpg

also the recoil pad is a wonder. It takes a lot of the sting out. You do get a little muzzle jump, but nothing bad I would say it kicks about like or a little less than my ruger 30-06

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.