Softest recoiling 20 gauge

trueblue

I am in the market for a new shotgun.
I have a Benelli SBE 12 ga at present, and my neck gets soar after shooting flyers all day when training retrievers. Shoot 50-100 shells in a session.
I want to switch to a 20 ga.
Not sure if a Benelli in 20ga is what I need or if there is another autuloader with less recoil I should be looking into.
Feedback please.

I'll put my .02 worth in.

I am not 100% sure that recoil is causing your neck problem. Seems to me that the recoil would be more localized in your shoulder.

Now, the repetition of shooting and the movement of your head into position may be the cause.

If your sure it is the recoil, I am not the guy to answer that. Other than I know when I shoot my 20ga, I am not as sore as when I shoot the 12ga multiple times. But, you know that.

Ive shot both 20 and 12 gauge shotguns and i havent noticed a difference between recoil. Both kick to the same to me. Ive shot a couple of 20 gauges that have kicked more than a normal 12. My dads benelli M2 12 gauge is the lightest recoiling shot gun ive ever used. I can shot it one handed all day long. I shoot 3in shells out of it and it feels like bird shot out of a normal pump shot gun. All the 20 gauges ive shot have never kicked that light. Just my .02

Get a gel cheek pad, Beretta makes a good one, send it to Briley to lengthen forcing cones and possibly port it. More important what loads are you shooting? Move to 1 ounce loads standard velocity, that should be your start. There is a big difference in shells, and 1 ounce should kill pigeons fine. I shoot up to 500 rounds a day in practice through a double without issue.

Something doesn't fit you quite right. I've shot some guns that kicked the snot out of me, others have very mild recoil.

Semi-Autos usually have less felt recoil than O/U or pumps.

I have a Citori O/U and I've shot 500 round iron man doubles tournaments, and used it to shoot "games" where I'm pushing 1 3/8 oz loads at 1380 fps. Couple hundred rounds a night is no problem. I did have a Soft-Touch recoil system installed in the stock, and had the shotgun fitted to me. It has the factory porting, and I had 4" polished forcing cones added. Also, put a Trap Dude recoil pad on. That will also help reduce felt recoil.

SoftTouch Custom Stocks - Home of the Soft Touch Recoil Reducer

I've shot enough rounds that I can tell the difference between powders, if the shot charges are moving the same speed. To me, Blue-Dot feels softer than 4756, Green Dot feels softer than Red Dot or 700-X.

After I recovered from busting up my spine, I quickly realized the stable of 12's gauge I had and my back no longer agreed.
I read and read trying to find what would be the lightest and softest recoilng 20 gauge I could find. I looked at everyhing from the big name to the small little known European imports with a long history of semi auto shotguns. For every thing I found saying x gun was light on recoil, I could find a review and or comments on a board saying it kicked like a mule.

In theory a gas operated should kick less. I picked up a new A5 to replace my heavier and bulkier 12's. I can't tell the difference between the A5 and my wife's silver (12 guage) in regards to recoil. Neither can she. I reload keeping my trap and preserve loads so their easy on my shoulder. I'm good for 3 rounds of trap on a good day. But part way through 4th round I'm tearing up. My wife ended up stating to do good with a rem low recoil load that's cheap. It's easy on the back too.
I'm drooling over the Benelli 28 gauge that weighs in under 5lbs. But even reloading for it won't be exactly as cheap as a 20 to shoot lots of rounds.

My best advice is if you belong to a gun club is to ask around and see if you can try a few of the 20's you end up intrested in. I'm just starting my little guy out hunting at the end of last year. **** his youth 20 single shot kicks like mule. With all it's weight, I would have never guessed it would be so harsh. My buddy loaned me his youth 20 pump that his kids started out with (their my age so it's an older gun) it's just as bad if not worse. I've been toying with picking up a used Winchester semi auto 20 since it has a slim fore end like my A5. I just wish it was a bit lighter. Think it's like 6.8 I used to never care but it just feels better with a slimmer forend then wide since I got hurt fore sone reason.

A Remington 1100 or 1187 are probably going to be your softest shooters, with the 1100 a tad softer. It is a heavy gas operated gun that absorbs alot of recoil.

I own a Beretta 391 Urika 20 gauge that is also a very soft shooter, not quite as soft as a Remington 1100 but softer than my dads Benelli Legacy 20 gauge.

The Remington 1100, my Beretta 391 and my dads Benelli Legacy I have alot of shooting time with and would rate them the way I listed them.

I'll put my .02 worth in.

I am not 100% sure that recoil is causing your neck problem. Seems to me that the recoil would be more localized in your shoulder.

Now, the repetition of shooting and the movement of your head into position may be the cause.

If your sure it is the recoil, I am not the guy to answer that. Other than I know when I shoot my 20ga, I am not as sore as when I shoot the 12ga multiple times. But, you know that.

Um wrong, but nice try.

The shoulders are connected to the neck with trapezius muscles and they all interrelate, very closely. Sudden recoil impulses to the shoulder causes a strain on the neck since the neck is a balanced system. When you yank on a shoulder pocket, the neck follows.

However, you are right in stating that the recoil impulses with a 20 gauge has less magnitude that a 12 gauge, less force applied to a smaller object. Simple physics really.

Um wrong, but nice try.

The shoulders are connected to the neck with trapezius muscles and they all interrelate, very closely. Sudden recoil impulses to the shoulder causes a strain on the neck since the neck is a balanced system. When you yank on a shoulder pocket, the neck follows.

However, you are right in stating that the recoil impulses with a 20 gauge has less magnitude that a 12 gauge, less force applied to a smaller object. Simple physics really.

Sorry to step on your ground Doctor. I only gave "possible" other things that may be causing the problem. But, you go ahead a diagnosis away. I also mentioned that if he was sure it was the recoil I was not the guy to answer.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts