$20 e-bay brake. Why not?

Hikinghunter

shopping for a simple radial brake. Any reason not to buy a $20 no-name brake off e-bay? I feel like radial brakes are not a precise example of machinery. It's a threaded tube bigger than your bullet diameter with holes drilled in it.

Any thoughts? Other options for a budget-friendly radial?

I tried one years ago.
The one I had did not align with the bore and bullets hit it. I don't know if the brake is off or the muzzle thread. I never put another brake on that rifle.
Well, that's a reason. I figured they would be over-bored to the point 2nd-rate machining wouldn't matter. Maybe not…

Most times you get what you pay for.
Agreed. I think my point is that a radial brake isn't worth paying much for because it's so simple. As long as it has the right threads and isn't off-angle by like 5 degrees, it works. Sounds like taylorbok actually got one that was enough off to matter, which kind of blows my mind…

A self-timing directional brake is another matter, but all I need is a radial.

Any other horror stories on $20 no-name e-bay brakes? I may have to pony up for a $70 tactical precision..

Agreed. I think my point is that a radial brake isn't worth paying much for because it's so simple. As long as it has the right threads and isn't off-angle by like 5 degrees, it works. Sounds like taylorbok actually got one that was enough off to matter, which kind of blows my mind…

A self-timing directional brake is another matter, but all I need is a radial.

Any other horror stories on $20 no-name e-bay brakes? I may have to pony up for a $70 tactical precision..
Ross Brakes is the most economical self-timing brakes $99 but non-radial.

I asked J&A outdoors if they would have any reservations about an aluminum brake on a 280AI. They have options for aluminum, steel and titanium for the same model brakes. Here's their response.

"Not at all - there will be no adverse affects of using dissimilar metals - if you are unsure if the brake will stay put, a very small amount of blue loctite on the threads will keep it secure during use.

Aluminum muzzle devices have been around the industry for a very long time - its just not as common as steel or titanium."

shopping for a simple radial brake. Any reason not to buy a $20 no-name brake off e-bay? I feel like radial brakes are not a precise example of machinery. It's a threaded tube bigger than your bullet diameter with holes drilled in it.

Any thoughts? Other options for a budget-friendly radial?
I bought one that was advertised a 6.5 CM brake. When it arrived, the bore was big enough to send a .60 caliber bullet thru it. Doubtful it would have reduced any recoil. It was basically a flash suppressor. Don't want your money. Contact Ross Brakes and get one of his $49.00 shipped brakes. He'll cut them exactly to your specs. It reduce your recoil better than most.

I asked J&A outdoors if they would have any reservations about an aluminum brake on a 280AI. They have options for aluminum, steel and titanium for the same model brakes. Here's their response.

"Not at all - there will be no adverse affects of using dissimilar metals - if you are unsure if the brake will stay put, a very small amount of blue loctite on the threads will keep it secure during use.

Aluminum muzzle devices have been around the industry for a very long time - its just not as common as steel or titanium."
For the same price point between aluminum and SS, I'd go with SS. But if you are so inclined to use the aluminum, go for it. I have multiple muzzle brakes/brands since 2003 and I have stayed away from aluminum. Good luck!

I bought one that was advertised a 6.5 CM brake. When it arrived, the bore was big enough to send a .60 caliber bullet thru it. Doubtful it would have reduced any recoil. It was basically a flash suppressor. Don't want your money. Contact Ross Brakes and get one of his $49.00 shipped brakes. He'll cut them exactly to your specs. It reduce your recoil better than most.
Does Ross make radial brakes? All the ones I see on their website are directional.