20 caliber build.

bfarms

I have a good collection of 55gr Berger long range varmit in 20 cal building up. What would be a good case to push them down the barrel? I don't want to get into neck turning. I have enough of that to do. I've thought about building a 20br
But I've heard they can be finicky with feeding, so im up for suggestions. I know very little about 20 cal case options

Last edited:
20-250 pairs well with the berger 55. Common brass, plenty of boiler room for speed, simple form out of bushing die and a relatively common chamber reamer to find.

Made the mistake of shooting the donor, so my 20-250 projet is still on the shelf (it came with a bunch of loaded ammo and I've been having fun shooting strings that I'd cringe a bit with any other rifle...) But someday I'll spin the 20-250 on and burn some of these 55s.

20 BR works great out of an M5 DBM bottom metal setup with BR magazines. Chances are you'll have to neck turn to get the brass right as you're necking down a long ways.

I think 20-250 may be easier to make brass out of.

20 practical is also a great option, super easy to find brass and easy to form. Depends what speeds you want, that will determine cartridge.

I've had 2x 20 practicals, 20 BRA, 20GT, and a 20 Creed
20 practical work best with 35 to 40 grain bullets
20BRA works great with the 55 grain
As Does the 20 GT
20 Creedmoor is phenomenal for about 600 rounds.😆
All were no turn necks.
Depending on what your donor action is, might determine what Brass you choose to build your 20 caliber off of

But honestly, the 55 grain bergers are not that good. Contact me and I'll take them off your hands.😆

20-250 pairs well with the berger 55. Common brass, plenty of boiler room for speed, simple form out of bushing die and a relatively common chamber reamer to find.

Made the mistake of shooting the donor, so my 20-250 projet is still on the shelf (it came with a bunch of loaded ammo and I've been having fun shooting strings that I'd cringe a bit with any other rifle...) But someday I'll spin the 20-250 on and burn some of these 55s.
I have plenty of lapua 22-250 brass. This might be the best way to go

When you neck down from these larger cases, necks get thick and tapered. These two issues can leade to a lot of issues in terms of consistent neck tension, run out, doughnuts. As you do down in caliber, smaller variances in neck tension mean more trouble with groups.

I mention this because I don't want you to have the blinders on when you go down this road.

As the brass thickens, you can fudge a little by using bushing dies vs std dies.

The 20 Practical is an easy route to go, but You would want a large case for a 55g bullet more than likely. I don't know what a 20 tactical or a 204 Ruger would do with a 55g. I have not seen Winchester brass for a while, and my pile is dwindling. I went 22/204 and 6mm 204 with amazing results in both, but neither has the down-range ballistics of the 55g 20 caliber.

A 20-250 AI or a 20 Creed is where I would be to utilize the long-range ballistics of a 55g Berger, nothing less.

Expect 800 rounds of barrel life in the 20-250 AI with a barrel that looks like a sewer pipe at that point.

BR cases using AIC mags will work, but a 22x47 Lapua would save you a ton of grief if that is all the horsepower you will want. K&M neck turner with the carbide cutter to remove doughnuts should be on your list of things to buy. If you do not want to turn necks or deal with doughnuts, you may want to re think the project.

When you neck down from these larger cases, necks get thick and tapered. These two issues can leade to a lot of issues in terms of consistent neck tension, run out, doughnuts. As you do down in caliber, smaller variances in neck tension mean more trouble with groups.

I mention this because I don't want you to have the blinders on when you go down this road.

As the brass thickens, you can fudge a little by using bushing dies vs std dies.

The 20 Practical is an easy route to go, but You would want a large case for a 55g bullet more than likely. I don't know what a 20 tactical or a 204 Ruger would do with a 55g. I have not seen Winchester brass for a while, and my pile is dwindling. I went 22/204 and 6mm 204 with amazing results in both, but neither has the down-range ballistics of the 55g 20 caliber.

A 20-250 AI or a 20 Creed is where I would be to utilize the long-range ballistics of a 55g Berger, nothing less.

Expect 800 rounds of barrel life in the 20-250 AI with a barrel that looks like a sewer pipe at that point.

BR cases using AIC mags will work, but a 22x47 Lapua would save you a ton of grief if that is all the horsepower you will want. K&M neck turner with the carbide cutter to remove doughnuts should be on your list of things to buy. If you do not want to turn necks or deal with doughnuts, you may want to re think the project.
I get the necking down, I have a 7/300nmi I have to do that with now. Just trying to stay away from that if at all possible. I may just have to bite the bullet and do it. I'm thinking of going with the 20-250. The 20 practical sounds easy but would it push a 55 fast enough to make good use of it?

20/250 would be a winner, IF you can find good brass, AND if your reamer will match Lapua brass which is larger in the web. 6 and 6.5x 47 brass are available, no down side, and a 20/Creed would be on par with a 20-22/250 AI.

I would not put a 55g bullet in a 20 practical, 204 Ruger maybe.
I have plenty of lapua 22-250 brass. So I'm good there. No reamer ordered yet so that wouldn't be a big issue ether. Just weighing options. Thanks for the info

Bfarms, you have to ensure it is a CIP reamer, European spec, NOT SAAMI spec.

When you neck down from 22 to 20, you will get doughnuts. So if the 55g bullet goes below the shoulder-neck junction, you must monitor this doughnut issue. If you seat a bullet through the doughnut, pressure will spike and you WILL have a flyer on that shot.