160gr Matrix

Brandon, i am still working on the cartridge. Testing it in different length barrels, different bullets, powders, etc. I based it off the 7mm Dakota. I won't go into detail here but here is a pic of a fire formed case.

1235421_723415327685537_220498180_n.jpg

Brandon, i am still working on the cartridge. Testing it in different length barrels, different bullets, powders, etc. I based it off the 7mm Dakota. I won't go into detail here but here is a pic of a fire formed case.

1235421_723415327685537_220498180_n.jpg

How soon do you expect to have a working platform? I think I want one.

I will probably start taking orders before Thanksgiving. I will be offering everything from just a prefit barrel all the way up to full blown customs a long with dies, brass, fire formed brass and eventually ammo.

I will probably start taking orders before Thanksgiving. I will be offering everything from just a prefit barrel all the way up to full blown customs a long with dies, brass, fire formed brass and eventually ammo.

Sin,

I'm very happy to see you offering brass & dies with your cartridges, Bravo. That will go a long way in helping you continue your success.

On the other hand.... I REALLY wish you hadn't shown me this cartridge... I have a long action Savage sitting here with nothing to do.... If you need someone to help you test'er out, send me a PM... dern it:rolleyes:

t

Yeah, I'm with Outlaw 6.0. I may have to have a chat with you also, I'm about 50 miles away from ya.

I also finally have some 160's coming from Marshal.

Anyone have any favorite 6.5-284 loads to share??

I am running 52.5 retumbo at .100 off the lands at 2700 fps and getting .25 MOA. The last time I shot the 160's was at 1280 and a coyote would have been in huge trouble.

I am going out tonight and testing a new seating depth and see if I can get the speed up and keep all the rest. I have a feeling I will see 2800.

This is with a 24" barrel.

Yeah, I'm with Outlaw 6.0. I may have to have a chat with you also, I'm about 50 miles away from ya.

I also finally have some 160's coming from Marshal.

Anyone have any favorite 6.5-284 loads to share??

I will send you a PM when I go test it sometime and you can shoot it.

Outlaw I may just need some more testing done.

Has anyone tried RL22 with the 160 Matrix in the 6.5-284?? I have a lot of RL22.

Alliant doesn't seem to have any data(which I thought was strange).

Norma lists 49-51g of MRP(their version of rl22) for their 156g So I am thinking of starting around 47-48g and going from there.

Any good RL22 loads our there?

Here is the bullet posted earlier under "6.5 SS/160 matrix on elk". It didn't weigh what the shooter thought, but here are some stats on the bullet.....RichDSCF0834.jpg

DSCF0833.jpg

The elk was quartering away at 160 yards and the bullet struck at the diaphram and fractured the liver in several places without actually hitting it! It then passed through both lungs doing severe damage to the off lung and lodged in the off shoulder. The elk traveled two steps and down.....rich

Here is a pic of the fractured liver along with the off lung!! I thought this was really interesting as the bullet did not actually strike it.......Richfractured liver:160 matrix.jpg

Good info. Thanks for giving us a report. The annealing process looks promising. Just picked up 300 of the 160's for my 6.5-06 AI. I won't be able to do any load work or testing until after hunting season is over.

Good info. Thanks for giving us a report. The annealing process looks promising. Just picked up 300 of the 160's for my 6.5-06 AI. I won't be able to do any load work or testing until after hunting season is over.

Thanks! He was on his way to a stand where he could shoot at 800 yards which was the plan for the annealed tips. He jumped the elk on the way to the stand so popped it at 160......rich

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.