15x power binos

I'd rather have a great pair of 8-12x50 or 56 than a box full of smaller objectives.

Those once in a lifetime shots tend to come with minimal light and I've been frustrated too many times right at the edge of dark and had to call one off as a result.

I'm the same with all my scopes now as well except for my low power 1-6x24's.
I'm starting to lean this way more, myself. I used to think 42 was perfect but looking though 50...wow they are bright! I think 56 would be too unwieldy for my uses currently but it is hard to argue with the amount of light they let in. Maybe I'll get a nice pair with 50mm now and when my son is old enough to go hunting with me he can inherit them and I'll get some 56mm glass.:)

I'm starting to lean this way more, myself. I used to think 42 was perfect but looking though 50...wow they are bright! I think 56 would be too unwieldy for my uses currently but it is hard to argue with the amount of light they let in. Maybe I'll get a nice pair with 50mm now and when my son is old enough to go hunting with me he can inherit them and I'll get some 56mm glass.:)

My 2 main hunting scopes are both 56mm, let the light breathe

My 2 main hunting scopes are both 56mm, let the light breathe
Yeah I was talking binos. My hunting scopes are all 50-56mm, except for one really old one I just can't bring myself to part with. That larger size is easier to stabilize on a rifle than hand held, and I don't carry a tripod too often, but am considering it for their ability to gather light.

BINGO, corner to corner or top to bottom don't matter, If it works ok for you , it should work ok for me. Rules are made to be challenged and broken.
The whole idea of long range hunting flies in the face of traditional rules. But here we are.

The older you get, the more light you need!

I agree with what has been communicated and have read the article you posted and understand that lower power in the same optic will be clearer with better resolution but sometimes the 3x at 200 yards at twilight won't tell me if that's a 6pt or 10pt but that 12x will. Now it might not be as crisp looking from the 3x and may be a little darker/fuzzoer but now I know the animal I'm looking at. And this is fact

Completely outside the box. Consider changing tactics. You can easily get by with 10x50 binos. I even gave those up and just use my 8X rangefinder for binos. It has pretty good optics. Once I see and identify a Buck, I already know the range. I then get the gun on him, look him over and decide if I want to shoot. Whitetails can and sometimes do decide to leave quickly. You have a much better chance of killing a big buck if you already have the gun on him. Spend your money on a good scope with really good resolution. The Binos do cause less eye fatigue than the rangefinder, and if you are 400 yds or less you can most likely get by with just the binos and scope. Out west things are different.

Orange not sure if you know this but the OP has top of the line 50 and 56mm scopes on his rifles. His claim was he could not see the antlers well enough with his scopes to judge quality of the rack. His scopes if memory serves me right were up to 12 or 15 power. Some how he got convinced that a pair of 12 or 15 power bino's will give him better resolution. However his true issue is he needs some glasses or laisik surgery to correct his astigmatism. This last fact about the astigmatism is what not enough here have told him to get fixed first. Once it is corrected he could then know whether he needs higher power bino's or not. Know matter what he gets now will likely not help as his astgmatism will make what ever he uses look fuzzy.
I know what I am talking about here because I have Ziess 10x45 lrf bino's and with my bad eyes I can not see what others see with them. I would get my eyes fixed but as of now there is nothing doctors can do with my eyes. My issues relate to 44 years of diabetes and what it does to our vision. So to finish up here Austin do your self a favor and get a pair of glasses and see if you really need the new bino's.

Yes I understand what you are saying also ! Like looking to see a bullet hole on white paper the higher power may let you see a very fuzzy dark spot on the paper when you have more power ! But by the same token if I wanted to really see what the value of a buck is I would also want the image to be crisp so I could tell in DETAIL it's points ! That is just what I would want, I would not want to be counting fuzzy dark points, that would let me unsure of myself if it wasn't clear !

From experience I s

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts