15AMP vs 20AMP circuit for reloading room?

The only reason to use the 15A circuit is money and we're not talking about that much. Just run the 20A circuit.

My reloading room has an ultrasonic cleaner, multiple rotary and vibrator tumblers, a case drier (basically a hairdryer attached to a rack), etc. It might be ok on 15A but why?

Personally the only 14ga/15A circuits I ever use if for smoke head circuits and dedicated light circuits, that's it.

Hope he does't add a coffee maker or any kind of dryer. Things change so what's it going to cost to do it right? Have a fire caused by your reloading ammo room & what's your insurance going to say. Do it right + a little more.

Good point, LOL, my son put one in his room and now is popping 20A breakers with all the other stuff they have up there. Those things can pull a lot of power.

Or a small fridge, or a microwave or many other things. He'll save nothing on the breaker & a dolllar or 2 on the wire to do it right.

You need to run the 12/2. Rule of thumb when I was pulling wire was 2 amp per plug. If you are thinking 7 or 8 plugs you're already at 14-16 amp. As already said run bigger than you need and be prepared for additional equipment. 1 circuit for your lights and one for plugs is really a good idea but not necessary. Basement wiring isn't usually too bad. But think about your humidity levels carefully. At some point you're going to need a dehumidifier and they really drag amps, possibly a space heater as well.

As a licensed electrician, I never run anything but size 12 wire for recipticals. As has been said, size 14 is only to be used for lighting. Be sure to wrap wire around receptical scews & never just push bare end of wire into holes! Plugging and unplugging will soon wear out those cheaper recepticals and cause burning from loose connections. 20 amp is the only way to go for any wall outlet. It will be done right then, will meet inspection, and you never know when later on someone might plug an electrical heater, iron, or something else that draws a lot of current. I've seen fires started that way!

If this a room that is going to wired, I agree with erle, and suggest going with the 20 amp. Having worked as an electrician, most wiring today is 12ga, 20 amp. EVERYTHING I have in my house is 12ga, and I have TWO separate 20 Amp circuits in my reloading room. All my entertainment electronics on one, and "critical" reloading outlets on the other, and they are also on Uninterruptable Power Supplies (UPS) in case there is a power outage so nothing goes down unless I specifically power it down. They also provide surge suppression.

I'm working on the layout for a full remodel of my reloading room. I'm going to put in 7-8 outlets and really trying to talk myself into or out of 20AMP. At this time I only reload on a single stage press and about the only thing that I need power for is the Chargemaster, maybe the vacuum to clean up, maybe a desk lamp in the fly tying area- nothing that draws a lot of amps. Is there anything reloading related that necessitates 20AMP? This is in a finished basement, dedicated room and I will not be running power tools. I do all of my trimming and tumbling in the garage. Just wondering if it's worth the expense and the slightly bigger hassle of pulling the bigger wires.

I'll post some before and after when it's done. Going to have an 8' bench counter height above 6' of cabinets. Outlets at the right height. I put in 9 LED cans in a space that is only like 9' x 13' so it's like being in daylight.
I would recommend 20 amp, I have been an electrical contractor for the last 30+ years. The difference in cost between #14 wire and #12 wire now is small compared to the cost of increasing capacity later.
Calculate your electrical load @ 180 watts per receptacle outlet.

Run a 14/3 wire (you have to pull a wire anyway). Come into a 2 gang switch so if you don't need all the lights don't turn them on. Use the red wire for lights and the black wire for the outlets and the common neutral. Install a 2 pole 15 amp breaker in the panel. 2 circuits and you are working with your lighter wire. Come out of the 2 gang switch with 14/2.

Please note this is not legal install under current electrical code! Please know what you are doing before you do it! We see far to many home wiring jobs that are serious and dangerous. If in doubt check with or hire a pro please. Your life and your family and your property is not worth the risk.

I'm working on the layout for a full remodel of my reloading room. I'm going to put in 7-8 outlets and really trying to talk myself into or out of 20AMP. At this time I only reload on a single stage press and about the only thing that I need power for is the Chargemaster, maybe the vacuum to clean up, maybe a desk lamp in the fly tying area- nothing that draws a lot of amps. Is there anything reloading related that necessitates 20AMP? This is in a finished basement, dedicated room and I will not be running power tools. I do all of my trimming and tumbling in the garage. Just wondering if it's worth the expense and the slightly bigger hassle of pulling the bigger wires.

I'll post some before and after when it's done. Going to have an 8' bench counter height above 6' of cabinets. Outlets at the right height. I put in 9 LED cans in a space that is only like 9' x 13' so it's like being in daylight.
Do you mean 15 gauge wire vs. 12 gauge? Large diameter carries more amps
I run 12 gauge wire in my loading room for several reasons. I have a Dillon 750 set-up with casing feeder and Mr.Bullet feeder. These are low voltage and low amperage motors that are fine for 15 amp Romex. But I also have a dual sander, dual grinder, metal lathe and a large shotgun shell hydraulic loader. While the 15ga. wire would suffice running everything the problem is when you turn an electric motor on. What happens is it sometimes takes 4-6 times its running current to get it started running. This draw kept tripping my breaker until I installed the 12ga Romex wire and appropriate breaker .

Do you mean 15 gauge wire vs. 12 gauge? Large diameter carries more amps
I run 12 gauge wire in my loading room for several reasons. I have a Dillon 750 set-up with casing feeder and Mr.Bullet feeder. These are low voltage and low amperage motors that are fine for 15 amp Romex. But I also have a dual sander, dual grinder, metal lathe and a large shotgun shell hydraulic loader. While the 15ga. wire would suffice running everything the problem is when you turn an electric motor on. What happens is it sometimes takes 4-6 times its running current to get it started running. This draw kept tripping my breaker until I installed the 12ga Romex wire and appropriate breaker .
its 14 or 12 gauge for romex building code-- no 15 gauge wire
nm-b 14/2 or nm-b 12/2 are the 2 most common 14 gauge for 15 amp circuits, 12 gauge for 20 amp is code

Yes, I would use #12 wire and 20 amp breakers. The in-rush currents at motor start up can cause nuisance tripping. Another factor to keep in mind is voltage drop especially with motor loads. If the panel is located a long distance from your loading room voltage drop can be a factor. Voltage drop is calculated based on wire size, type, wire length and circuit load. A good rule of thumb for wire length is if the run is further than 100" increase the wire size by one size incrementally. With the equipment that you have it may be a good idea to run several circuits. Try to stay under 80% of the circuit capacity for the lathe and grinders.

As I stated I always use 1 size larger wire than required. I'm cheap but for the tiny extra cost it's well worth it & things change like adding more equipment.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.