12GA Rounds for Grizz?

Good choice, i would do the same. The whole point of a shotgun is for scattershot, why not just use a 45-70 or 375 then? The TSS is awesome stuff, guys down south are getting full penetration on deer and hogs with size T. That slug is only worth something if it makes a solid hit, why not give yourself 10 or 20 chances instead of 1? The slugs would be in the #3 or 4 position in the mag for finishing...
Anyway you could send a link for T size Apex TSS loads ? .20 caliber sounds like good coyote medicine. Currently all I can find is 2/4/BB.

How about 10 rounds of 458 SOCOM using Berry's 350gr bonded bullets?

1648128734442.png

Anyway you could send a link for T size Apex TSS loads ? .20 caliber sounds like good coyote medicine. Currently all I can find is 2/4/BB.
They might not make it, maybe have to load your own...

They might not make it, maybe have to load your own...
Yep they offer more for reloading than OTC loaded options. The 0 buckshot (.30 caliber biggest offered) option is the way to go for a bear load IMO. Penetration would be much better than smaller shot. Still a very close range load, backed with 2-3 slugs would certainly deter and even stop an angry charge by a Big bear.

Guys are killing deer here in SC at some ranges to slightly beyond 100 yards with #1, 0, and 00 buckshot. Proper chokes for the shotgun is the key, and it AIN'T a cylinder or improved cylinder.

Watch some video's from

Bubbaroundtreeoutdoors on You Tube...

My Rem 11/87 barrel with a factory extra full choke puts 100%of the pattern of Rem factory 00 and 000 3" magnums in a 20" circle at 40 yards.

Federal Shells with the Flite Control Wads like a modified to improved modified choke at the tightest, we use modified choke in Browning BPS which is tight, Light modified to improved modified in other models depending on the bore size. The flight control wads are weird, but when you find the right combo on the choke, they can reach out there to 60 yards, we have seen.

For Big Bears, the only thing I would carry would be Brenneke Slugs or 3" 000 Buckshot in a gas operated semi auto with a magazine extension. There are some custom reloaded Buck and Ball loads that would work also, especially good in 3.5" mags.

Back in the Day, we hunted off mules in the Four Corners area where there were a LOT of black bears. An old forest ranger from NM taught us a valuable lesson in spreading some Moth Balls around the camp site and around the gut pile that should be no closer than 200 yards from the camp. The Moth ball trick is just insane simple and brother, it sure does work on bear, skunk, coon, and possums getting into the camp. Same would apply to skunks that get in your barn or under the house.

Gotta ask, in a general manner what part of Wyo are you rolling to? Are you doing it on your own or guided?

Side note, before I took a pump shotgun for protection I'd shorten the barrel on a 760 in 06 and put a peep site on it. Way better close and personal protection aid than any shotgun. At least in my opinion it is:)
That is not a bad option either and also useful for hunting moose etc. Been looking for a 760 carbine in 30-06, but prices have been crazy. I would use XO Sights or fiber optic sights. Add a Triple-K 10 round magazine filled 200gr Partitions or heavier bullets and you have enough horsepower.

That is not a bad option either and also useful for hunting moose etc. Been looking for a 760 carbine in 30-06, but prices have been crazy. I would use XO Sights or fiber optic sights. Add a Triple-K 10 round magazine filled 200gr Partitions or heavier bullets and you have enough horsepower.
Plenty of gun for the biggest Moose if using your head on range

I carried a Marlin Century Limited III 45-70 stoked with my handloads. But a Rem 870 with slugs would be welcomed also. S&W M29 4" and 300 gr Castcores. Oh and a good Black Jack knife. I've watched too many movies ;)

Solid Brass 12 GA Slugs will enter the front and come out the rear!!
Solid Brass 12 GA Slugs will enter the front and come out the rear!!
Yep. Ballistic machinist makes some wicked solid brass and copper slugs. Called pellets actually in a couple varieties. The tenderizer is solid copper I think that deforms minimally. The brass pellet slug is another low deformation slug that goes deep with no change in shape. All great options.

I've heard smaller shot first to hopefully blind the bear followed up by as many slugs as your gun will hold.
I've never faced a big Bear in a full-out charge, however, I have seen up close how fast they are, from what I understand, using shot or buck against big Bear or pretty much any Bear is rolling the dice of life, just not a good idea, shot and buck spread at about 1-inch per-meter, 10 yards you have about a 9-inch pattern, and no time to be fooling around, perhaps that shot on the Bear might have been better with a slug, because... you may not get a second one, as I said; they are super fast.
My last thought on using something other than a heavy rifle or shotgun slug is; You really don't want to leave a wounded ****ed off Big Bear in the woods hurt for the next guy to stumble across, they seem to get "very" vindictive, just ask the folks around the goldfields in Dawson City, Yukon which I have, their sage advice is to kill it for sure or leave it alone, injured Bears from traps and guns shots have done a lot of damage up there. Just my 0.2 Cheers.

Last edited:
I shot a small buck once that came busting out of the brush, 10 yards+/-, 2¾ 00buck strait to the face, alls it did was knock it out, break an antler and peirce its ear. That's when i stopped hunting big game with my 12ga.
I've taken a few dozen whitey's with 00 buck with my 12ga and they all pretty much all dropped like a sack of potatoes. Most shots are 30 yards. In the past 10 years I've had ONE 'dig in and go 30 yards and pile up'. The main difference is that I have never ever pulled the trigger on one unless I had a solid broadside smack. Why on earth would you shoot "strait to the face"? There is so much wrong with what you posted I don't even know if I should respond. Did you bother to pattern your gun to see what buckshot would do in your gun at 10 yards?

This is 00 buck 3" at 30-40yds.

7B8zdui.jpg

Here's the same load at 10 yards (left side pattern)-
Ne15LFA.jpg

That is a good pattern for hunting BROADSIDE. I would not use that to harvest a deer with a frontal head shot. The right side was 2 rounds of 2 3/4 00 buck I was testing in that shotgun. Suffice I will not use those rounds for hunting.

Last edited:

Recent Posts