12GA Rounds for Grizz?

"The main difference is that I have never ever pulled the trigger on one unless I had a solid broadside smack. Why on earth would you shoot "strait to the face"?"

Maybe because he is coming at you 10 feet away????????

"The main difference is that I have never ever pulled the trigger on one unless I had a solid broadside smack. Why on earth would you shoot "strait to the face"?"

Maybe because he is coming at you 10 feet away????????
He said 10 yards not 10 feet and that's kind of immaterial.

That is not a bad option either and also useful for hunting moose etc. Been looking for a 760 carbine in 30-06, but prices have been crazy. I would use XO Sights or fiber optic sights. Add a Triple-K 10 round magazine filled 200gr Partitions or heavier bullets and you have enough horsepower.

Correct, add 200 partitions and or 220 Partitions and you've got a truly formidable beast in your hands.

Long story short, back when I guided a lot for spot and stalk black bears in Montana I had two of them try to get back at me (IE they charged). Both had been hit by clients, one came at me in a creek bottom from 9', I killed it using my clients gun with a shot right below the chin(25/06). The other feisty one came at me from 15', this one I put down with my 22/250 and a shot right under the chin.

This got me to taking bear protection a bit more seriously so I went down a testing road for speed on target, time to reaquire target when coming out of recoil as well effectiveness at a bit of range.

I tested bolt guns in the ranges of 06 to 375 Wby, Pump guns in 760 with a XS on it and 870 12 gauge with slugs, lever guns in 30/30 and 45/70, a BAR in 06 and as well my M29 handgun.

Long and the short for at targets at close range 25 yards, I found the pump 760 to be the fastest, my bolt gun in 06 came next which was pretty much neck and neck with the BAR in 06. The bolt 375 was good for the first round but was too slow to get back in target with when coming out of recoil. The 870 thumped me around pretty well and was lacking on range if for some odd reason one had to shoot longer (say at a wounded bruin getting out of the country). I'm not much of a lever man I'm sure others can make them sing faster but I was quicker with my bolt 06.

The G20 that I've started toting in the outdoors has a lot of merit when loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo and the like and when carried in a chest holster like the Kenai Gunfighter holster. IMO it takes one a lot of practice to be effective in protecting themselves from 2 and 4 legged predators with a handgun so if going this way take it serious! Way too many guys think that they're Tom Mix with a handgun when in real life they don't have hardly any time in with one.

I've also done a bit of work with the G20 verse a bigger wheel gun and for me note how I said for me I can handle/control shoot better and get back on target fast with the G20 than I can with the bigger wheel gun rounds.

Now this isn't to say that I feel that one needs a lot of rounds but one needs to be able to control the gun and get back on target! I feel that fights with bruins/cats etc are a one, two maybe 3 shot affair for the most part. Though it is nice to have the extra rounds just in case.

Just my 12 cents, sorry for the long post, use what you can from it if you wish.

I vote for the "Brass Pellet" 12ga. slug from Ballisticmachnist.com , if you are carrying the shotgun .

Does Wyoming allow long guns (shotguns or rifles) to be carried during the Archery Only season ?

If long guns are allowed , as Bear protection , my first choice is a Marlin 1895 , .45-70 lever-action , 16"-18" barrel , 6 and 3/4 pounds , XS Sights - large aperture rear sight with large white front blade sight , loaded with Underwood .45-70 430gr. Hard Cast ammo at 1925fps and 3539 ft/lbs. energy .
Be sure to practice with this gun/ammo combination , because they are violent , on both ends .

I have a Taurus Raging Bull in .480 Ruger but I cannot find ammo, brass, or bullets. So a 12Ga is ideal, you can always find 12Ga even if you have to pay for it.

Look at Tri-Ball loads.... I believe Dixie slug still sells them or roll your own. 3" shell loaded with 3- 315 grain hard cast round ball for a total pay load of 945 grains. When loaded properly, the 3 balls will still be in about a hand size group at 40 yards. I can't recommend buckshot anymore after seeing dismal results a few times......once was a black bear at a range of feet. I think you can get good results with it "most" of the time which isn't enough for me, especially with bears.

I like what you have to say. Too many times either target practicing or hunting I've seen the foster style slugs break right apart on deer or find them a few inches into the dirt broken in many pieces and especially on a deer when dressing them out I've found pieces of the slug and no pass throughs. I will not feel comfortable using them as bear defense much less buckshot or even bird shot.

Another thought is a 450 bushmaster AR
Had a buddy "borrow" a box hunting whitetail. He got a nice buck that day, straight on heart shot at 25 yards. When field dressing it, he didn't find the heart, or any sizable pieces either. He found damage the length of the buck, and never found the slug....

I carried a Marlin Century Limited III 45-70 stoked with my handloads. But a Rem 870 with slugs would be welcomed also. S&W M29 4" and 300 gr Castcores. Oh and a good Black Jack knife. I've watched too many movies ;)
How about a weaponized drone. It would probably sound like a giant killer mosquito to a bear...

Correct, add 200 partitions and or 220 Partitions and you've got a truly formidable beast in your hands.

Long story short, back when I guided a lot for spot and stalk black bears in Montana I had two of them try to get back at me (IE they charged). Both had been hit by clients, one came at me in a creek bottom from 9', I killed it using my clients gun with a shot right below the chin(25/06). The other feisty one came at me from 15', this one I put down with my 22/250 and a shot right under the chin.

This got me to taking bear protection a bit more seriously so I went down a testing road for speed on target, time to reaquire target when coming out of recoil as well effectiveness at a bit of range.

I tested bolt guns in the ranges of 06 to 375 Wby, Pump guns in 760 with a XS on it and 870 12 gauge with slugs, lever guns in 30/30 and 45/70, a BAR in 06 and as well my M29 handgun.

Long and the short for at targets at close range 25 yards, I found the pump 760 to be the fastest, my bolt gun in 06 came next which was pretty much neck and neck with the BAR in 06. The bolt 375 was good for the first round but was too slow to get back in target with when coming out of recoil. The 870 thumped me around pretty well and was lacking on range if for some odd reason one had to shoot longer (say at a wounded bruin getting out of the country). I'm not much of a lever man I'm sure others can make them sing faster but I was quicker with my bolt 06.

The G20 that I've started toting in the outdoors has a lot of merit when loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo and the like and when carried in a chest holster like the Kenai Gunfighter holster. IMO it takes one a lot of practice to be effective in protecting themselves from 2 and 4 legged predators with a handgun so if going this way take it serious! Way too many guys think that they're Tom Mix with a handgun when in real life they don't have hardly any time in with one.

I've also done a bit of work with the G20 verse a bigger wheel gun and for me note how I said for me I can handle/control shoot better and get back on target fast with the G20 than I can with the bigger wheel gun rounds.

Now this isn't to say that I feel that one needs a lot of rounds but one needs to be able to control the gun and get back on target! I feel that fights with bruins/cats etc are a one, two maybe 3 shot affair for the most part. Though it is nice to have the extra rounds just in case.

Just my 12 cents, sorry for the long post, use what you can from it if you wish.
Yes, really testing slugs in pump guns can be brutal. Some of the semi auto are a little easier. For me the 760 is the best option and very fast to return to target. I usually hunt with 165 bullets, but I carry the heavies in a spare mag just in case. Inside 100 yards the difference in point of impact is minimal.

What to carry for bear protection depends very much about what specie, what time of year and terrain. Grizzlies would be the worst as they act like they wake up without coffee about every day and are the most unpredictable. Multiple forms of protection are in order if you are properly prepared, especially if you are living out. I was a Federal fish biologist in Washington and Alaska and when the dust settled spent every month of the year in a tent on Kodiak Island. The coastal brown is basically an easy bear to live with as they are well fed and act like they do in fact get morning Joe. However I was present for one lethal incident. I also worked with a state fish technician who started his guiding career with the famed Pinnell and Talifson boys who I believe worked out of Olga Bay. I learned a lot from him about brown bear behavior. He hunted the interior (Brooks Range) a lot and also had a bit to say about grizzlies too. Based on my own beliefs, federal protocol at the time when in bear country, and advice from Chuck I wore a 4" Dan Wesson .357 at my belt buckle, a magnaported S&W 629 on a shoulder rig (8 3/8") and a short folding-butt 870 had to be with one of us. My day for carrying it I loaded bird shot then slugs. The 357 was only for noise and spraying gravel in front of them. A consumable you might say. The 44 was for business. I loaded it with the 265 gr Hornady silhouettes with the truncated cone that were later discontinued. The MTM box they traveled in had "wrist twisters" written on it. Chuck said nearly every bear when charging will ultimately stop at some object 15-20 feet away and stomp, swing its head, chomp it's teeth, stand up etc. Hence the bird shot. If you decide they have ill intentions after giving them a chance they must be blinded. And nobody shoots a bear past 30 feet. My buddy said if the ground between you and them hasn't even a tuft of grass get ready as they likely won't stop. He also said he saw numerous bears run 60 seconds up the mountain after being shot before expiring. Upon skinning their heart was jelly.
Here in Montana no matter the outdoor activity when bears are about my kids and I carry a whistle, pistol with special bear loads, magnum pepper spray, trauma kit and communication. Camp shotgun is a Keltec KSG bull pup with one tube all birdshot the other all slugs. And when camping there is a device that uses shotgun primers with a trip wire that we deploy at our camp. Bottle rockets or fire crackers any more are a tough choice with how dry it is here as they will start the state on fire. If you make nocturnal contact with a bear in a camp situation they WILL BE BACK even if you scare them away. Then one person needs to stay awake at all times. If you come back to camp to find it ransacked beware as it's very likely the bear is near and you are now an intruder. If any of your camp is covered up with dirt and sticks your weapon's safety should be off and camp must be moved. I'd have to check my journals but the most bears I saw in one day I think was 27.