12 gauge shot shell reloading

I use the Mec 600 that I picked up at my shooting range for my 12 gauge it works fine came with the adjustable bar and a few accessories and a couple of other bars. Used but in new condition for 120.00 started reloading shot shells I got for free from a local skeet range where they hold matches all the shot shells I will ever need. started crimping #6 crimp and #8 crimp shells then picked up a bench top drill press from harbor freight and started roll crimping got to love the roll crimp. first couple of shells I roll crimped let's just say they were not my best, but it didn't take long for me to have it down pat. I only reload shot shells when my hunting rounds or defensive rounds drop below 500 . But when I'm reloading, I enjoy the art of doing it.

I see lots of folks promoting the AA hull. Back in the day when AA hulls were compression formed one piece hulls they were the best out there. That all changed when they went to a different formulation and went to their 2 piece hull with the separate plastic basewad. The new hull has less internal volume and you're lucky to get 3 loadings out of them before they split. I still have quite a few of the compression formed hulls and they are really good. The new AA doesn't hold a candle to it. The exception for this is 28 gauge. The AA hull is the best brand to use for 28.

The best hull out there now is the Remington STS. Followed by the Remington Gun Club. I have some with 10 to 12 reloads on them. They crimp easily and don't split. The new Federal HOA hull is made by Remington. It is there STS design and rebranded by federal. It loads the same as the STS.

I mentioned 3/4oz loads in one of my posts above. If you want to save money reloading the biggest thing you can do is cut the amount of shot per load as that is the biggest cost. Ive shot a lot of 3/4 loads and for practice they are fine especially at shorter yardage. 3/4 is the one time I normally don't use 7.5s. I usually go to 8 or 8.5 for those and run them around 1300fps

Powder companies will have the data you need to build your loads. You're looking for the perfect stack height. Without that you'll never get good crimps. Something as simple as a wad change can make all the difference.

Well I would probably stay with the 1 1/8 8 shot they are bouncing back and forth between 1 oz and 1 1/8 now depends what's in stock at time of order now just seems like I'm always buying shells and if I can reload and see them do great with those that's a win for me
If you are going to reload 12 gauge and shoot 16 yard trap set up and load 7/8 ounce. You will save money on shot and powder and reduce recoil. They break targets just fine. I shoot a lot of sporting and shoot 7/8 ounce and break targets with no issues at long range.

I've been shooting and loading shotgun for 35 years and you just don't need 1 1/8 oz to break targets unless you are shooting beyond 50 yards and even then I'm not sure you need it.

Attachments

• IMG_2022.jpeg
    IMG_2022.jpeg
    441.7 KB · Views: 38
Do you reload for 12 gauge?
Have you reloaded for 12 gauge?
Looking at starting to reload shotshells would like people's thoughts and experiences with it thanks
Not really.

I loaded slugs and #5's for rabbits. I want to load targets as that is all I shoot now. At $9.50 per box, I don't see it worth the component investment at my volume of about 500 per year. If I shot more, I might load for it.

With zero value for my time, components are about $450 per 1000 shipped. I added a few bucks for hulls. I had to buy mine. I'm at $11.25 per box. So, I'll continue to buy gun clubs and AA's for $10/box.

Last edited:
When both of my sons were shooting sporting clays, skeet and reluctantly trap ;)
We were going through 100+ flats (25,000 rounds) per season.
When we did the math, unless we could find reclaimed shot, it would have been very hard to save money.
The amount saved is indeed a wash when your time is considered. But I have always looked at my reloads from a little different perspective. My loads are equivalent to premium loads. Hard shot, clean burning powder, premium wad, etc. Tailored to my gun and level of recoil tolerance. Made specifically for what I'm doing. There is a value for me that is far beyond the cost savings. This also helps my confidence. But I agree with you on cost. Particularly using 1 1/8oz. Plus if your kid shoots and helps reload it makes him work a bit for his hobby.
100% agree on trap. You'd have to hold a gun on me to make me shoot a round of trap. Definitely ain't my sport.

Yes I reload with 3 MEC's as well in 12, 16, and 20 gauge. I bought a cheap set of plastic funnels for refilling the shot and power bottles. I load #5 for hunting loads and 7.5 for the clays shooting. One trick for handling the shot I came up with is to split a new 25 pound bag of shot into 3 orange juice bottles. Much easier to store and refill the shot bottle on the press. I find the OJ bottles from Walmart to be a little more sturdy in the neck area.
Pretty good thinking. I bet the OJ bottles do work real well for you.

I have been reloading shot shells for over 40 years, light hunting, heavy for crows, buffered for turkey and various trap loads, I still shoot trap and also make my own shot. so it depends on how much you shoot and the cost of components weather it would be worth your time and initial investment. single stage is my preference for hunting loads and a progressive press for trap and skeet. on a side note if you make buffered loads for turkey 1 1/4 oz 2 3/4" loads will easily nock them over out to 60 yards without killing your shoulder. I'd be glad to share the load info.

I am shooting Rem Gun Club in 12 and 20. If anyone wants my empties, let me know. Right now I am south of Salida, CO but will be returning to Phoenix mid-Sep (I REALLY wanted to return at the end of the month for doves but my wife is flying out of Denver to watch our astronaut pal lift off on a Soyuz rocket).

I have been reloading 12ga shotgun shells for over 36 years.
Started out with a PW375 and then went to a PW900 with hydraulics.
still loading the same 1 1/8 of mag 9 shot at 1365fps for Sporting Clays from the start. (about 658 av for pellet count)
Lot's of good info in this thread, Good call about the cookie sheet under your mounted press.
Shot is dirty because of the graphite used for lubrication.

T.P.

Last edited:
Do you reload for 12 gauge?
Have you reloaded for 12 gauge?
Looking at starting to reload shotshells would like people's thoughts and experiences with it thanks
Follow a published reloading manual or published loads from powdeer makers or you will kill yourself or the guy next to you. do not "wing it".
Mike

I'm going too say this ! I have been reloading shot gun for 30 +years! There is a lot of info in this thread ! Some good some ! Well!! Pick a load you think might work for your discipline! It can be very maddening when you get started! But pick a load you can find components for! It's not as easy as it once was ! But there available! Start slow , get used to your machine and adjustments ! Once you have those down you can accomplish this process !

There is a lot of info in this thread ! Some good some ! Well!!
Isn't that the beauty of these online forums. All kinds of information and opinions. Some good and some bad. Sometimes, most times you get conflicting information in the same thread. Crazy. You got to have some discernment and know how to cherry pick the good.

I think if I went with a single I would just be waisting my time I don't think I could make enough shells for the time it would take just today kids went through 400 rds for the shoot and they have another 400 tomorrow so to keep up with that with a single stage would be crazy I think but thank you for the info I might have to start asking around the club to see who reloads and go from there
Get a Mec Grabber and 100,000 shells later still going