12 gauge shot shell reloading

What do you want to know about it? What do you intend to use the shells for? I used to shoot trap years ago and did all my own reloading. The Winchester double AA hulls were good as were the Remington's and the Federal Gold Medals. Although I got a slightly better crimp with the Winchester's. Keep an eye on the ends of the case that gets crimped. When they start to tear and split, it's time to toss them. For my trap loads, I used a lot of 700X powder. Some guys used Red Dot. Follow the load recommendations from the powder manufacture. Make sure you got the appropriate wads for both the case you are using and the amount of shot that you are using.

I used to use a MEC 600 press for my reloading. A good quality press and easy to learn on. Although it is true that there is some powder spillage that comes from sliding the charge bar from one side to the other, don't misunderstand the amount we are talking about here. It's only a minute amount. I never had much issue with the shot unless I spilled it trying to load the shot bottle. I always used a funnel and emptied my shot bag into a cool whip container that I was able to squeeze together to aid in filling the shot bottle.
Yes I reload with 3 MEC's as well in 12, 16, and 20 gauge. I bought a cheap set of plastic funnels for refilling the shot and power bottles. I load #5 for hunting loads and 7.5 for the clays shooting. One trick for handling the shot I came up with is to split a new 25 pound bag of shot into 3 orange juice bottles. Much easier to store and refill the shot bottle on the press. I find the OJ bottles from Walmart to be a little more sturdy in the neck area.

I put in a 3 lifetime purgatory penance on several Lee Load-All with a Mec re-sizer thrown in so we could run the reloads in our 1100's. 6 handle-pulls per shell.

Now I have the Dillon SL900 w/auto case-feeder. Pull the handle w/your right hand, put the wad in w/your left. It's almost exactly like loading metallics on a 650 w/case-feeder, your left hand does/bullets or wads, your right hand pulls the handle, the machine does everything else.

No bushings w/the Dillon either, the shot bar adjusts just like their powder measurer. 1 press will do 12ga down to 28Ga, though it's about $700/Guage for all of the parts.

I have around 12 reloaders but I mainly use one of 5 MEC 9000s including an automate in 12 gauge running on a common sewing machine pedal.

I would recommend staying with 1oz or even 7/8 for practice. I shoot 1oz of 7.5 for sporting clays tournamemts and have zero problems at long distance breaking clays. I shoot 7/8s for practice. More loads per pound brings costs down. I also shoot some 3/4oz stuff in 12 gauge. It'll surprise you.

The best hulls now are Remington sts but anything Remington is good. Winchester lost ground with AAs when they went to their two piece hull. New Federal HOA hulls are actually rebranded Remington STS.

You'll want to find your most economical load with powder.
Find loads dropping 17 grains or less. I like Alliant e3 or Extra Lite. Hodgedon Clays is good also. Pick your powder for efficiency and don't try to load the fastest shells out there. You don't need to. My scores actually went up when I dropped from 1 1/8oz to 1oz and my practice scores went up again when I dropped from 1oz to 7/8. 7/8 loads pattern very tightly and will break targets for a long way but I still go to 1oz for tournaments. I shoot either at 1180fps. All 7.5s. I do shoot 1 1/8 at doves. All 7.5s and I use magnum hard shot for everything. I ran a sporting clays facility for years and have been a target setter and sporting clays instructor for the last 15 years. I'm a AA class shooter and was well on my way to master class when component prices and injury sidelined me.
Feel free to ask any questions about loading. I've used about every machine that there is and have found that Mec does everything I want to do for a lot less fuss and $. You'll find it difficult to tell my reloads from factory. I Particularly like the Mec 9000 series. I have one Ponsness Warren machine and I regret the day I bought it. I can make shells with it but it's picky, fickle, and a PITA. But you may want to start with a single stage machine unless you can find a good mentor to get you started on a progressive. There is a learning curve on all of it and a good mentor can save you a lot of time.
^^^
This is good info.
Loading shot shells for 35+ years
Now I use a Dillon SL900. 12ga, 20ga and 28ga tool heads.
Most brands of machines will have their quirks.

Trapshooter.com has tons of info.

Good luck with your endeavor.

One thing I did that work out for those aw-**** moments is to install the vera-mec on a servers tray, helps keep shot from spilling onto the floor.

Attachments

• 20240804_083435.jpg
    20240804_083435.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 40
My take on it is that there is an initial investment to purchase equipment and supplies. Initially you will not save money until you pay for the press. In the 90's I was still reloading shells for less money than what they cost to purchase. At the time, a box of shells for trap cost approximately $5.50 per box. I had figured that my reloads were costing in the neighborhood of $3.25 - $3.50. If memory serves correct. I still believe there is a cost savings today. The only way to know for sure would be to look up cost of shells and the cost of components and do a comparison. That can be done.
Powder, shot, and primers have all gone up in price, but you can still save money reloading. You can generally find or buy once fired shells to reload. As others have said the Winchester AA, Remington Premier, and Federal Gold shot shells work well and usually can be reloaded multiple times. Most reloading presses use a 8 fold crimp, so the cheap shells with a 6 fold crimp won't work. I have reloaded some of the less expensive Federal loads that use 8 crimp. I only reload shells with brass bases. You can also buy, primed new shells from places like BallisticProducts.com remarkedly cheaply as there is no HAZMAT fee on pre-primed shells.

No one has mentioned a Ponsness Warren. I had a hydraulic press that I used when I was pretty heavy into sporting clay competitions. I think the new ones are electric and no longer hydraulic.
Mine served me well and you might want to check that one out also.
I absolutely hated my 800B. It was very finicky over hull type and the finished shells weren't near as good as my Mec presses produce. Particularly tapering the mouth of the hull. I didn't like the primer drop mechanism either. PW has made some improvements since then but I won't buy another one. I put a lot of time and money into mine trying to get it to run and it would make shells. It was just to finicky.

^^^
This is good info.
Loading shot shells for 35+ years
Now I use a Dillon SL900. 12ga, 20ga and 28ga tool heads.
Most brands of machines will have their quirks.

Trapshooter.com has tons of info.

Good luck with your endeavor.

I have done a lot of reading on the trapshooter.com a lot of info on there as well

I used to load but when components went up in price and I could buy "Game and Field" loads for $70/case, I quit. Lately I have noticed a case of shells is just over $100, but my time is worth something. Additionally, my loading benches are pretty crowded with metallic cartridge equipment.

If you want to load 12 ga 1 1/8oz it will take a long long time to even break even. I have a 9000G with AutoMate that will produce a bunch of reloads fast but it is not worth my time these days. Make sure you price everything and do the math.

If your not using your 9000g want to just send it to me to try out for awhile lol don't want it to just collect dust and sit there 😁

I was looking at the mec9000 press to be able to reload in quantity. Is there others that could be better?
I use a hornady 366 for 12ga. I have a Mec size master for 20ga. I use Longshot powder with 7 1/2 shot in both 20 and 12 with different powder weights. Wads are another thing that helps get a good load. I use mostly winchester wads with various hulls and they all work good. Good luck!

I used to load but when components went up in price and I could buy "Game and Field" loads for $70/case, I quit. Lately I have noticed a case of shells is just over $100, but my time is worth something. Additionally, my loading benches are pretty crowded with metallic cartridge equipment.

Ya I have been able to get cases for around $80 but if I can get something set up and have my kids run the press then they can work for there shells they shoot

Do you reload for 12 gauge?
Have you reloaded for 12 gauge?
Looking at starting to reload shotshells would like people's thoughts and experiences with it thanks
I reload 12 & 20 gauge. Depending on which reloader you purchase you may need to pay attention to whether you are reloading straight wall or taper walled hulls. As mentioned Winchester AA followed by certain Remington hulls then Federals are my preference hulls for the US brands. Fiocchio are good too for 20 gauge. You may want to join https://www.shotgunworld.com/forums for more expertise. I would also recommend the BPI 12 gauge shotshell reloading manual. Treat it just like learning to reload brass cartridges, there are a lot of nuances to shotshell reloading. Many options to choose from hulls, wads, filler, buffers, discs, etc.

Recent Posts