12 gauge shot shell reloading

I was looking at the mec9000 press to be able to reload in quantity. Is there others that could be better?
I'm not really sure if there are other presses as good. I only have experience with the 600. I do know that we borrowed a progressive press one time that we were considering buying used. It was a bit of a challenge to get everything set up initially so that everything was working in unison but, once we got it set up, it would crank out the shells. If you are loading lots of shells on limited time, this may be the way to go.

Like most, I have a MEC for 12ga. Started 20+ years ago when ammo was cheap but saw this whole setup at a garage sale for $25. I look at shotgun reloading as hedge bet against the expected future. I have also been reloading high performance slugs for past 20+ years with great success on whitetails.

Reloading shotshell is NO different than metallic. Develop a documented procedure and stick to it.

As mentioned, one if the most critical needs is consistent wad pressure along with consistent star crimping. Shotshell OAL keeps it in line. Mfg'er of 209 primers can make a difference.

Don't underestimate consistency for good shot strings etc.

I would look on Craigslist etc for used equipment.

I started to reload for 20 & 12 gage about 4 or 5 years ago. I was wanting to use bismuth and the price of factory shells for anything better than steel was crazy. Bismuth is still not cheap but I can buy 3 lbs of #3 or #4 shot for around $100.00
If you're wanting it for hunting load I would look up a book called Tom roosters best patterning loads. Very small book. I tried one of his loads and won't use anything else anymore for lead free hunting duck and peasant. Had one shot kill on a roosters at 45 yards. Couldn't tell you about loads for comp shooting. A lot of load recipes but no information on how well they pattern and performance. I would look at ballistic products has a lot of free loading recipes. Shotshell reloading is a lot more confusing then metallic loading and buying wads powder and shell just to find out you can't use the two of them together. I guess I'm trying to say is find proven loads that work before just buying components in a loading book. Just because they have a load listed don't mean their very good at patterning at 30 yards.

I have around 12 reloaders but I mainly use one of 5 MEC 9000s including an automate in 12 gauge running on a common sewing machine pedal.

I would recommend staying with 1oz or even 7/8 for practice. I shoot 1oz of 7.5 for sporting clays tournamemts and have zero problems at long distance breaking clays. I shoot 7/8s for practice. More loads per pound brings costs down. I also shoot some 3/4oz stuff in 12 gauge. It'll surprise you.

The best hulls now are Remington sts but anything Remington is good. Winchester lost ground with AAs when they went to their two piece hull. New Federal HOA hulls are actually rebranded Remington STS.

You'll want to find your most economical load with powder.
Find loads dropping 17 grains or less. I like Alliant e3 or Extra Lite. Hodgedon Clays is good also. Pick your powder for efficiency and don't try to load the fastest shells out there. You don't need to. My scores actually went up when I dropped from 1 1/8oz to 1oz and my practice scores went up again when I dropped from 1oz to 7/8. 7/8 loads pattern very tightly and will break targets for a long way but I still go to 1oz for tournaments. I shoot either at 1180fps. All 7.5s. I do shoot 1 1/8 at doves. All 7.5s and I use magnum hard shot for everything. I ran a sporting clays facility for years and have been a target setter and sporting clays instructor for the last 15 years. I'm a AA class shooter and was well on my way to master class when component prices and injury sidelined me.
Feel free to ask any questions about loading. I've used about every machine that there is and have found that Mec does everything I want to do for a lot less fuss and $. You'll find it difficult to tell my reloads from factory. I Particularly like the Mec 9000 series. I have one Ponsness Warren machine and I regret the day I bought it. I can make shells with it but it's picky, fickle, and a PITA. But you may want to start with a single stage machine unless you can find a good mentor to get you started on a progressive. There is a learning curve on all of it and a good mentor can save you a lot of time.

I have around 12 reloaders but I mainly use one of 5 MEC 9000s including an automate in 12 gauge running on a common sewing machine pedal.

I would recommend staying with 1oz or even 7/8 for practice. I shoot 1oz of 7.5 for sporting clays tournamemts and have zero problems at long distance breaking clays. I shoot 7/8s for practice. More loads per pound brings costs down. I also shoot some 3/4oz stuff in 12 gauge. It'll surprise you.

The best hulls now are Remington sts but anything Remington is good. Winchester lost ground with AAs when they went to their two piece hull. New Federal HOA hulls are actually rebranded Remington STS.

You'll want to find your most economical load with powder.
Find loads dropping 17 grains or less. I like Alliant e3 or Extra Lite. Hodgedon Clays is good also. Pick your powder for efficiency and don't try to load the fastest shells out there. You don't need to. My scores actually went up when I dropped from 1 1/8oz to 1oz and my practice scores went up again when I dropped from 1oz to 7/8. 7/8 loads pattern very tightly and will break targets for a long way but I still go to 1oz for tournaments. I shoot either at 1180fps. All 7.5s. I do shoot 1 1/8 at doves. All 7.5s and I use magnum hard shot for everything. I ran a sporting clays facility for years and have been a target setter and sporting clays instructor for the last 15 years. I'm a AA class shooter and was well on my way to master class when component prices and injury sidelined me.
Feel free to ask any questions about loading. I've used about every machine that there is and have found that Mec does everything I want to do for a lot less fuss and $. You'll find it difficult to tell my reloads from factory. I Particularly like the Mec 9000 series. I have one Ponsness Warren machine and I regret the day I bought it. I can make shells with it but it's picky, fickle, and a PITA. But you may want to start with a single stage machine unless you can find a good mentor to get you started on a progressive. There is a learning curve on all of it and a good mentor can save you a lot of time.

I think if I went with a single I would just be waisting my time I don't think I could make enough shells for the time it would take just today kids went through 400 rds for the shoot and they have another 400 tomorrow so to keep up with that with a single stage would be crazy I think but thank you for the info I might have to start asking around the club to see who reloads and go from there

I think if I went with a single I would just be waisting my time I don't think I could make enough shells for the time it would take just today kids went through 400 rds for the shoot and they have another 400 tomorrow so to keep up with that with a single stage would be crazy I think but thank you for the info I might have to start asking around the club to see who reloads and go from there
You definitely want a 9000 then. I could load about 12 boxes per hour taking my time with mine.

You'll want a progressive loader, I load rifle ammo on single stage and have loaded shot shells on one many years ago. Trying to load large volumes on a single stage will make you wan't find a bridge to jump off.

Only 7 loaders here. All MEC, three are 9000's. Started out on a Herters in the late 60's. Had a single stage PW for a while. The MEC 9000's can be fickle. I've mounted all my shot shell loaders on cookie pans to catch all the spilled shot :oops:. Spilled shot happens. Loading mostly 7/8oz loads for 12ga. Load a variety of 28ga. Given the cost of shot these days loading 12ga is close to a wash. Definitely worth the effort on 28ga.

I was looking at the mec9000 press to be able to reload in quantity. Is there others that could be better?
Yes, a MEC 9000 is the way to go. As others have said here, Winchester AA or Remington STS and Federal Gold medal are tops for reloadable quality. I had my MEC's set up years ago for 1 load. It matched the Remington STS trap load 1250 FPS using 11/8 oz. 7 shot, for my 12 GA, the other is set up for a 20 GA. Once it was set, it was like clockwork. You will need to use different ways to match whichever hulls you use because there are differences in the finished shell. If you don't use the correct way, you will get the crimp off. There are also different crimps available. Changing shot weight is easy because it's just a different bar. I would recommend using 71/2 over 8. It's a good balance between 7 and 8. You get the pellet #'s you want from 8's but hit like 7's. I have never loaded for hunting but I would not expect an issue. Lastly, I just ran with the standard powder bushing until it started getting difficult to buy powder 15 years ago, and I needed that ability, so get an adjustable bar, and you will be fine.