Your Favorite Elk Cartridge and Why?

My go to is a 280 AI with the 168 Berger Hybrid Hunting with some Retumbo pushing it at 2850 has worked for me.
After this season up high in the mountains it was my new 300 wsm worked out really well. Did it make my elk anymore dead than my 280AI, no but for a light weight rifle that recoils lightly it's hard to beat.

Mine are my 30-06 and my 280 Ackley Improved. I have complete confidence in both. I think that's the main thing is having confidence in what you are using.
David

While not a long range shooter I always try to get closer.We cut the distance too 275 yards and was successful with a 300wsm and 168 Bergers.

300 WM. Versatile, kills things, I have confidence in it. Have been shooting the 185 VLD's, but am going to develop loads for the ELD-X 178's and might try out some Accubonds this year.

The Bergers functioned just fine (made a real mess of off-side shoulder though). I'd like to just do some more experimenting.

While not a long range shooter I always try to get closer.We cut the distance too 275 yards and was successful with a 300wsm and 168 Bergers.
Picture didn't attach-
dbb188a4-c5d1-402b-acf5-7cb920941938_zpsvfemmzbp.jpg

That's an amazing elk, Makaira. The 300 WSM has come to be my favorite cartridge. Never killed anything like that with it though. Looks like very open country too. Bet just getting to 275 yards was a challenge in itself. Thanks for posting.

My favorite rifle so far is my 300 Jazz with 215 Berger's. The 280 AI with 168 hybrids is up to bat this year.

I took this 360" bull in ND with my 280 AI right at 350 yards with a shoulder shot. He went 10 feet and dropped. I also took this 140" whitetail with it this year. I was very impressed with the amount of damage from this combo. I may have a new favorite rifle!

Attachments

• 2015 Bull.jpg
    2015 Bull.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 2015 WT.jpg
    2015 WT.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 138
That's an amazing elk, Makaira. The 300 WSM has come to be my favorite cartridge. Never killed anything like that with it though. Looks like very open country too. Bet just getting to 275 yards was a challenge in itself. Thanks for posting.

It was in northeastern Nevada- it is definitely open country but lots of little cuts/ridges.
We glassed him from 3 miles away and saw where they bedded and wanted to get a closer look.We got 350 yards and could see some cows but no bull.We waited over 2 hours befor they got up and cut the distance and then finally got a look and the Bergers did the job.I was pretty excited so hit him behind right shoulder he rotated and center punched him in the front then he took two steps and behind left shoulder before my buddy says you killed him on the first shot:D After waiting 14 years I wasn't about to take a chance-

Dang guys! I didn't even draw a tag and here you guys are with these wonderful tophies! Well, I'm proud of you dudes! Next year might be my year! :)

You guys have taken some great bulls there!

I've had a couple 300 WSM's, and will probably have another before it's all done. The two I had were ultra-lights and pounded the hell out of me with the 200 gr bullets I like. I went to 168 gr Barnes TSX's and was very happy with the result.

Congrats on the good bulls guys!

With a good ambush location my 338 RUM, if there is a lot walking involved my 7mm mag just because of weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts