Wyoming residents

Reynolds02

My brother and I would like to hunt in a wilderness unit in Wyoming, but we are non-residents. We have stock and would love to find a resident who would like to figure something out. I've done some homework and found some locations to get serious about. If anyone is interested pm me and we could see if things could possibly work out. Not looking to just go and goof around, hunt hard and look for the class of elk in the unit.. Thanks, Reynolds

Not sure if you are aware of this, but this is Information from Wyoming Game and Fish

"Nonresident big and trophy game hunters are required to obtain a professional outfitter or resident guide while hunting in any federally designated wilderness area. All outfitters must be licensed by the Wyoming Board of Outfitters and Professional Guides.
A resident guide license may be obtained from the WGFD by any resident possessing a valid big or trophy game license. A resident guide may only take up to two (2) nonresidents in a wilderness area per year, provided they do not accept any gratuity or compensation."

Not sure if you are aware of this, but this is Information from Wyoming Game and Fish

"Nonresident big and trophy game hunters are required to obtain a professional outfitter or resident guide while hunting in any federally designated wilderness area. All outfitters must be licensed by the Wyoming Board of Outfitters and Professional Guides.
A resident guide license may be obtained from the WGFD by any resident possessing a valid big or trophy game license. A resident guide may only take up to two (2) nonresidents in a wilderness area per year, provided they do not accept any gratuity or compensation."

Yes that is what I have read, was not going to compensate them. I thought maybe there is a resident who doesn't have stock to get deep into the wilderness and would be interested in going together as one unit riding our animals. I may be wrong, but tell me if that would be illegal? There is no compensation or money involved just hunt together. Now I do understand it may be hard to find someone who is looking for this and may not workout. On the other hand if it would, it may become a great hunt every couple of years and be hunting buddies...I may look stupid but it's worth the effort.
From my perspective this is what forums like this are for...to bring people together from long distances to learn and grow from even making lifelong friends at times?? Don't be afraid to tell me what you're thinking. I'm just trying to broaden the horizon. I know there's a great opportunity to harvest trophy bulls and mule deer, how else are we going to get there other pay a guide for something we would like to accomplish on our own?

Thanks, Reynolds

Hey Tikkamike, it stated:.

Wyoming Game and Fish

"A resident guide license may be obtained from the WGFD by any resident possessing a valid big or trophy game license. A resident guide may only take up to two (2) nonresidents in a wilderness area per year, provided they do not accept any gratuity or compensation."

So wouldn't that mean anyone who is a resident and holds a tag can be a resident guide and we would be perfectly up to the rules?

Call Wyoming Game and Fish and get the meaning behind what is stated. I stand to be corrected In my understanding that a licensed guide is required.

My brother and I would like to hunt in a wilderness unit in Wyoming, but we are non-residents. We have stock and would love to find a resident who would like to figure something out. I've done some homework and found some locations to get serious about. If anyone is interested pm me and we could see if things could possibly work out. Not looking to just go and goof around, hunt hard and look for the class of elk in the unit.. Thanks, Reynolds

Hi Reynolds02,

I've learned through experience that when I try to save money, I wind up spending a whole lot more. It gets far worse when it comes to hunting. Not only do I spend a whole lot more, I usually come home skunked.

A professional guide is identical to any other professional service provider: you're paying for his skill and knowledge.

My advice is to check for licensed guides in the area you want to hunt. Check references. Once you've got a line on an outfitter, hire him. However, you might be too late for the'16 season. Most of the excellent guides fill up early.

BTW, I've hunted Wyoming a few times. It's Game & Fish Department will enforce fish & game laws.

Just talked to Wyoming Fish and Game...a resident of Wyoming can go get a Resident guide permit for $0.00 and take up to 2 non residents for hunting per year/season. So this is a viable option

I don't want to seem like there's only one option. I really like the General season tag Sept. 20-Oct. 22, they are still in the rut with any legal weapon. The units are close to Yellowstone and some excellent elk are taken!! On the other hand if there is a better option we would be up for it...at this point just seeing if there's any interest from guys in Wyoming.
Thanks, Reynolds

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.