2024 Wyoming non-resident rules…confusing?

Yeah I just paid for a full price cow/calf tag was $724 I think….same price it's been the last 2 years…but the price of the non resident bull tag went from about $1500 to a lil over $1900. Thank goodness I'm just trying to fill the freezer and not chasing horns!

Regular Elk Type 1-2 are still $707

Stay home. Buy half a beef. I cannot believe that western states are still giving NR cow tags. I look forward to a time when we stop that madness.
I enjoy it more than anything…I hook up with a buddy and have access to a large area of private/ranch. I'm sure it's a $ maker for game and fish…I could've done the reduced cow calf at like $300ish. Guess I'm paying for better odds.

x
I enjoy it more than anything…I hook up with a buddy and have access to a large area of private/ranch. I'm sure it's a $ maker for game and fish…I could've done the reduced cow calf at like $300ish. Guess I'm paying for better odds.

Get a voucher from your land owner

open this in a private window:

I have applied and successfully drawn non-resident elk tags several times in Wyoming. My cow tags are under $300 and for another small fee, I can also archery hunt in the unit I draw.
I have preference points so if I would draw a full price cow tag (the expensive ones) I would loose all of my pref. points.

Stay home. Buy half a beef. I cannot believe that western states are still giving NR cow tags. I look forward to a time when we stop that madness.
Until you have to float the state game agencies budget out of your pocket for a resident tag. Residents pay what equates to processing fees to hunt the same ground NRs do but NRs basically fund the whole thing.

Until you have to float the state game agencies budget out of your pocket for a resident tag. Residents pay what equates to processing fees to hunt the same ground NRs do but NRs basically fund the whole thing.
I think NRs have an overinflated estimation of their value to western economies and fish and game budgets.

Well you're entitled to your opinion. I think the general idea that NR consider themselves as overvalued is nonsense. I don't know any of them that think that. Most are happy and grateful to be hunting anywhere they can get a tag. This is why they are lined up around the block, waiting in line for hours and jumping like joy to spend $1200 for a deer and elk tag. But you do hit on a valid point. They are a huge impact on western small town economies and the the game management systems do rely greatly on the revenue generated from the NR fees. Do away with NRs and I bet all the residents will whine and complain about paying the prices. As goggins said, "who's gonna carry the boat" I doubt residents will.
I for one don't want to pay $700 for tags in my home state.

We do have a sustainable elk population in PA.
To where we can hunt elk.
PA issues out 144ish tags a year.

Before it was 123 tags. Then PA got the idea to open up 2 archery seasons. Oh, if you want a tag, ya gotta win the lottery first. $11 resident fee into the lottery. Per each season.

And non residents have exact same odds of drawing as a resident.

So, yeah! It's nothing but a money grab!!

PS. I've been in the lottery for over 13 years now.

So, yeah! I'd jump at the chance to go to your state and be able to elk hunt!!
Heck, i plan vacations to Colorado and Wyoming, without the hunting.
I love it out there!!

About to give the Mrs. the ultimatum. Sit in the passenger seat and enjoy the view, or duct tape and the trunk...
Either way, we are moving!
:D

Recent Posts