Wyoming outfitter, landowner, DIY tag battle!

A lot of the Non-Residents that come to Alaska to hunt is just for a Trophy. A very big portion don't even take the meat back with them. At one point they were finding a lot of the meat in dumpsters at the transfer sites.
That's unacceptable, I don't have an issue if someone just wants to trophy hunt if they take care of the meat and get it to someone to utilize it, but wasting it is unacceptable. I turn in quite a few out of state hunters who you see with a skinned out buck or bull just thrown up on the back of their trailers with mud spraying all over it. Local wardens LOVE that call!!

I'm not sure I get the concept….. but at some point you gotta stand for things you hold sacred. The ability to hunt and have firearms are two things that make up my line.
So which is it, AK or WA? If you value hunting so much WA is great place to fix. It's your home and hunting there has gone to hell. Not because of a lack of quality game either. You have huge elk herds on the east side. Get that situation fixed and one day you too may be keeping NR hunters out. I don't get the 2A connection. 2A is not specifically connected to or about hunting. Read the text and follow up by reading The Federalist Papers. The Founding Fathers did an excellent job of explaining themselves.

Big difference between hunting for sport and hunting for sustenance....soon with what's going on in society and financial worlds....gonna have to get meat somewhere....cattle ranches becoming 'vegan fields'...
dollar won't get a working person very far...
That is closer to being than not....
I don't think I'll let you arrest me today Beehan...

If you believe anyone other than a non resident DIY hunter contributes more money to conservation and the local economy then you can't do simple math(not talking about the money one may pay to one single outfitter which really does little to benefit the local economy). This argument happens in nearly every state. The DIY non resident gives more money to both by a very large number. Some states are more than others. It is already cheaper to fly to South Africa and enjoy a week or two of hunting than it is to hunt many of these "premium" hunts. This is not what good conservation looks like.
Had a friend went on a brown bear hunt shot a nice boar. In Russia I think he said about 1/2 the price but wouldn't bet on it and this was about 5 years ago hunted near an old submarine base the military held his firearm until the actual hunt then took possession after the hunt he got his firearm back when he got on the plane to leave

Had a friend went on a brown bear hunt shot a nice boar. In Russia I think he said about 1/2 the price but wouldn't bet on it and this was about 5 years ago hunted near an old submarine base the military held his firearm until the actual hunt then took possession after the hunt he got his firearm back when he got on the plane to leave
Not sure what you're getting at but I have hunted tons of DIY and guided in the states and been on multiple international hunts. It is a fact you can hunt other countries for less than many guided hunts in the states.

I had fun as a kid growing up shooting antelope in wyo buying tags cheap and getting practice in before i was able to hunt legally in idaho. With that being said non res are kind of messing things up anyone with lots of money can play the game. Id love to go to wyo and shoot some big elk, deer, rams, etc. but after ive seen what non res is doing to idaho i dont want to do it to other states. My elk area got wiped out by out of staters coming in huge camps and buying second archery tags in a draw only rilfe. Used to be bulls every where starting seeing a lot of out of state plates racks on the ground and now they are both gone. Im all down for the lottery system for non res but the second tags and money walks is getting old. Not sure what the course is but capped non res lottery seems to be legit for states that cant manage like ID. Wyo mt nv seem to have pretty good herds...doesnt matter what we say it is all money in at the end of the day. Management is lacking around here i wish us soortsmans had more say and were able to actually help. F&g just want tag sales and tickets.

I had fun as a kid growing up shooting antelope in wyo buying tags cheap and getting practice in before i was able to hunt legally in idaho. With that being said non res are kind of messing things up anyone with lots of money can play the game. Id love to go to wyo and shoot some big elk, deer, rams, etc. but after ive seen what non res is doing to idaho i dont want to do it to other states. My elk area got wiped out by out of staters coming in huge camps and buying second archery tags in a draw only rilfe. Used to be bulls every where starting seeing a lot of out of state plates racks on the ground and now they are both gone. Im all down for the lottery system for non res but the second tags and money walks is getting old. Not sure what the course is but capped non res lottery seems to be legit for states that cant manage like ID. Wyo mt nv seem to have pretty good herds...doesnt matter what we say it is all money in at the end of the day. Management is lacking around here i wish us soortsmans had more say and were able to actually help. F&g just want tag sales and tickets.
That is not because of hunters. That is due to poor management. The hunters do not set tag allocations. It makes absolutely no sense to pretend that if a tag is sold in a decent unit that it won't get purchased and hunted with.

"Brian Nesvik, WGFD Chief Game Warden, commented that "Preference points were originally intended to provide hunters with predictability and reasonable assurance that over time, their chances of drawing high demand areas would increase. Specifically for non-residents, they were intended to help hunters predict how often they would draw a tag for their favorite areas."

The above quote is how Wyoming pitched its preference points to non-residents when it was implanted in 2006 for deer, elk, and antelope. I have purchased points each year since this was implemented. Every year for the first 10-12 years I would get an email from WGFD encouraging me to purchase points so that I would be able to "predict" when I would be able to hunt a specific unit/weapon choice. I wish I had one of these emails to post because they were close to a solicitation but they were sent to trash and have since dropped off my email account. I wasn't foolish enough to think that this was a rock solid guarantee to hunt, but it wasn't a lottery ticket either. By 2018 there was 65,000 to 75,000 non-resident deer, elk, and antelope non-resident preference point holders and the system was essentially not working as originally intended and point creep became a fact of life for Wyoming non-resident deer, elk, antelope point holders.

Fast forward to the present and with tag allocations either the same or being cut, record numbers of applications, and politicians trying to appease their constituents, we have reached a tipping point where no one wins in Wyoming. It's become an us versus them mentality and I for one don't know what the ultimate solution is.