Wyoming outfitter, landowner, DIY tag battle!

jimss

Sorry if you've already read this on a different website but I am trying to reach out to every DIY/OYO across the country that enjoys hunting Wyoming. I'm not sure if many Wyo nonres are aware but nonres landowners currently take tags off the top of the pool of nonres tags available each and every year prior to the limited elk, deer, and antelope draws. Currently nonres landowners can potentially take every tag available. In fact, this happens every year in a number of high demand Wyo elk units.

With that said, Wyo outfitters are trying to do this same thing in Wyo. Hunters that sign an outfitter agreement prior to the draw would be eligible for tags prior to the Wyo elk, deer, and antelope draw. Every tag issued to outfitters is obviously 1 less tag available in the public draw.

If you are a nonres that enjoys hunting DIY/OYO in Wyoming I would highly recommend offering comments in regard to your dissatisfaction of Wyo offering any type of tags in any form to outfitters. Allow hunters to draw tags in the public drawing. Once tags are drawn hunters can decide whether they want to hire an outfitter or hunt on their own.

Nonres hunters across the country have devoted years and years to applying for Wyo deer, elk, and antelope and paid stiff pref pts fees. I encourage all of you to offer comments.

The Wyoming Task Force is taking comments for the next meeting with an April 21 deadline. Here is a link

hmmmm let see which one contributes more money to wyomings economy the outfitter
which lives there or the diy/oyo once a year or every 3 year hunter ?
the outfitter wins give it up jms you got a licking on the 90/10 bill which passed
you'll get the same butt whipping with fighting this, wyoming will do whats best for wyoming
do you truely think they give a **** about what non tax paying non residents think?
no they dont
buzz h & jm77 will see to it this bill gets passed they both hate non resident hunters unless its their family so anything they can do to stick it to non residents in their eyes is a great thing

If you believe anyone other than a non resident DIY hunter contributes more money to conservation and the local economy then you can't do simple math(not talking about the money one may pay to one single outfitter which really does little to benefit the local economy). This argument happens in nearly every state. The DIY non resident gives more money to both by a very large number. Some states are more than others. It is already cheaper to fly to South Africa and enjoy a week or two of hunting than it is to hunt many of these "premium" hunts. This is not what good conservation looks like.

Ultimag43, how about all the nonres DIY hunters that have applied for pref pts and paid high fees for years and years in hopes of some day drawing high demand tags? You actually believe that it's ok for outfitter clients that sign contracts prior to the draw to take tags directly away from nonres hunters in the public drawing?

To add to the mix, if landowners + outfitters take tags off the top of the pile prior to the public draw and public nonres limited elk, deer, and antelope tags are cut in 1/2 with 90/10 the pref pt system will become worthless. Only those nonres public draw hunters with close to max pts will ultimately draw tags. You want to talk about point leap....pref pts will become meaningless!

I can pretty much guarantee that the WG&F will become the real loser since nonres hunters will drop out of paying for pref pt fees which is a pretty big chunk of the WG&F revenue. It's pretty obvious what the WG&F thinks about nonres hunters since nonres support 70% of the WG&F budget that comes from license/pref pt revenue!

Ultimag43, how about all the nonres DIY hunters that have applied for pref pts and paid high fees for years and years in hopes of some day drawing high demand tags? You actually believe that it's ok for outfitter clients that sign contracts prior to the draw to take tags directly away from nonres hunters in the public drawing?

To add to the mix, if landowners + outfitters take tags off the top of the pile prior to the public draw and public nonres limited elk, deer, and antelope tags are cut in 1/2 with 90/10 the pref pt system will become worthless. Only those nonres public draw hunters with close to max pts will ultimately draw tags. You want to talk about point leap....pref pts will become meaningless!

I can pretty much guarantee that the WG&F will become the real loser since nonres hunters will drop out of paying for pref pt fees which is a pretty big chunk of the WG&F revenue. It's pretty obvious what the WG&F thinks about nonres hunters since nonres support 70% of the WG&F budget that comes from license/pref pt revenue!
Already been discussed very simple to make up lost revenue by simply increasing fees for residents by a few dollars
As far as pp you know the odds when you apply
The state of Wyoming makes NO GAUREENTEES
To a non resident that you will eventually get a tag
It's a gamble if you can't play poker don't join the game

The only nr that will lose anything are the ones without the big bucks to spend...cause the pocket change of the other guys will never notice a difference...
Best thing could happen is kick all under off FS an BLM lands....make the guides compete with their cash for private properties to hunt......and if they try to coerce animals back to private from public lands they lose their licenses to guide.......

If you believe anyone other than a non resident DIY hunter contributes more money to conservation and the local economy then you can't do simple math(not talking about the money one may pay to one single outfitter which really does little to benefit the local economy). This argument happens in nearly every state. The DIY non resident gives more money to both by a very large number. Some states are more than others. It is already cheaper to fly to South Africa and enjoy a week or two of hunting than it is to hunt many of these "premium" hunts. This is not what good conservation looks like.
Ryan,
Interested in your numbers for DIY vs guided. Thx.

Already been discussed very simple to make up lost revenue by simply increasing fees for residents by a few dollars
As far as pp you know the odds when you apply
The state of Wyoming makes NO GAUREENTEES
To a non resident that you will eventually get a tag
It's a gamble if you can't play poker don't join the game
Increase by 900% to make up lost revenue.
While their at it maybe they can make up all the federal dollars they receive for schools, roads et el and only get pitman funds from resident purchases. If Wyoming wants to insulate itself then so be it, jump all in and insulate yourself no need to stop at hunting

Wyoming residents have it better then any other state when it comes to big game hunting and it still isn't good enough for them. Be careful what you wish for, as they block out the non-res get ready for a whole bunch more people to become residents. Already starting to see the growth up there in the past few years. In 20 years it will be Colorado North.

When I diy hunt in WY I spend next to nothing, I roll fully self contained and all I buy is gas. I spend FAR more on gas and eating out at home in Mt.

I work for myself..by myself..I hunt mulies first general season 'close' to home base..but I won't shoot a young buck...
when time comes I head north to look for decent whitetail...I still won't shoot a young buck......and I eat at restaurants..buy fuels..buy supplies..motel...
I try to help the economy where I choose to hunt.....it's not an obligation.....it's a thank you for allowing me to hunt....
Meet some purdy nice people....get some crazy stories......