Wirehaired Pointing Griffon resources?

Find a NAVHDA chapter near you and go to their training days and tests. "Near" is probably a relative term but they're the best resource out there for continental breeds. There are lots of griffs in NAVHDA.

Go to NAVHDA for good resources. If they're doing any training or testing, give them a visit. You should look for breeders right now. We have a friend that's been on a breeder's list for a year.

There's a national market for pups, so don't be afraid to look far and wide. We're in Mt. and had buyers in Wisc, NC, Fla and Canada. Many breeders, like us, would only sell to people that were looking for a hunting dog.

In addition to his book, DeCostas also has a FB site. Another on site on FB is Training the Versatile Hunting Dog, and Hunting Wired Pointing Griffons.

From personal experince, they do require a soft touch. We use shock collars on our dogs. Our bitch (pictured) responds to the buzzer on her collar. Level one is too much for her. Kathy was just reading this over my shoulder, and said she had to use level one a few days ago

because she was chasing a cat. She said Bree screamed like mad. The stud we had was a bull head (the breeder named him Dozer), and he needed a level one, except when we first went into a field to hunt. I would purposely give him a few basic commands as we left the truck, knowing he wouldn't respond properly. After shocking him 2 or 3 times at level 3, he would look at me and say "Ohhh, are you talking to me?" After that, he was good for the day.

He and I would go duck hunting. I jump shoot ducks through the end of the season in January. The coldest weather we hunted was 15-20 degrees below zero. The thing I like the most is that they are close working and pointers. I've chased labs and goldens for miles, and I can't do it any more.

I would have to add they are definitely unique. Mine always seems to know when she shouldn't be doing something and hardly have to get after her. They seem to take any negative personally. They will position themselves so they can oversee everything going on around them. Imo they have a much more unique personality than a lab. Having been around a few labs, the Griff has a much better personality and is much more dedicated to the owner than I have seen in a lab. Downfall is all the brushing if you get one with a shaggy coat.
Ditto

My friends parents bred WPG for years. When they started there was only like 50 breeding pairs in the states and all were hunting pedigree. Nowadays you should be sure to buy from proven hunting stock and not the now popular show line.
My friends family dogs were excellent close working dogs with soft mouths and liked to do water work. Their dogs were natural hunters that learned quickly but can be temperamental if pushed too hard.
Great dogs and I think they are the cutest puppies that grow into a somewhat ugly dog. lol
Good luck to you and your new partner
Ditto

First off, Griffs love cold that's not close to being true. They have a dual coat. It's the heat you have to watch them in. Seen one go down during a Master/Senior hunt test, it was fine the next day. Tested again, I wouldn't have ran the dog. Griffs are in-between a Britney and a GSP as how intense your training should be. Must be house pet as well. Can be strong willed. Look for conformation, a breeder that does KbKy, Hip tests at a minimum. The AWPGA site has a list of breeders. You could contact the AWPGA Rescue and see if they have any as well.
Ditto

Well, I got him home yesterday afternoon. And last night I was reminded of how much fun house breaking and crate training is. 😂

He seems pretty smart- already picking up on things I like/don't like for him to do while we're playing and getting to know each other. He's only 7 weeks, so I have high hopes for the next few months with him before we start working on field stuff.
25B9AC96-9E39-4806-BD41-E8850BE44DC0.jpeg

Tips and Tales On Training Your Bird Dog by George DeCosta Jr.

Amazon product ASIN B09RCHSXFX
This is a great book and a lot is directed towards WPG's. They are very strong physical breed, I compare mine to a team of mules if he gets his mind set on going somewhere while on a leash. Lol. After training and spending time with him and you won't want another breed again. Also cowboy magic, showshine and a good metal wire comb will become your friend when hunting around begger lice.
EB1BD22A-7BF4-492D-BFB8-396C941533EF.jpeg