German long haired pointer

Doggone it, guys! I've been telling my wife and myself that we're too old to get another gsp, as much as we love the breed. At 81, i don't really expect to live another 14 or so years. But you make my mouth water with these photos and stories.

I have owned both German wired haired and German short haired pointers, they are slow to develop. I recommend getting a Brittany Spaniel, they do everything well. Get a bitch rather than a dog.

I have owned both German wired haired and German short haired pointers, they are slow to develop. I recommend getting a Brittany Spaniel, they do everything well. Get a bitch rather than a dog.
That's one of the reasons we look closely at breedings and what the parents did. We ask questions such as: What age did they title? What age did they reach certain goals? How are previous litters doing and are those pups titling or meeting goals early? Picking the right litter is equally as important as picking the right pup from that litter. I have a dog that we knew going into it would be a late bloomer and she has just started to shine at 2 y/o while I have one 8 months younger running the same setups. It's all about doing your homework and the drahthaar breed organization has made that easy to find out, almost as easy as the retrievers.

That's one of the reasons we look closely at breedings and what the parents did. We ask questions such as: What age did they title? What age did they reach certain goals? How are previous litters doing and are those pups titling or meeting goals early? Picking the right litter is equally as important as picking the right pup from that litter. I have a dog that we knew going into it would be a late bloomer and she has just started to shine at 2 y/o while I have one 8 months younger running the same setups. It's all about doing your homework and the drahthaar breed organization has made that easy to find out, almost as easy as the retrievers.
I had a GSP X Brittany that was working like a pro on grouse moors in Scotland at 11 months of age. I stated her working along side her 6 year old father, and that got her going in an instant. I lost sight of that little bitch one day and could not find her, I knew she was stuck on point somewhere. I eventually started calling her , and she came running to within 50 yards then turned tail and ran back to were the grouse were. I put my Falcon up and she again waited patiently again for the command to "get in". It was a superb flight, and it would never have been possible without that little girl. It's such a shame they don't live long.
I never used my dogs for shooting, just for falconry. It's real hunting that the dogs understand, they know they are part of the team and will willingly hold a point for an hour if needed, it's more than a game.

This is her father.
rRcNLuT.jpg

My GSP was no champion, he was my hunting bud. He was hunting and retrieving at 11 months. Born mid September and hunting/retrieving September 1 on dusky grouse the opening day of the following year.
Last hunt was December 15 years later. Died of a stroke in January after his last hunt. He couldn't keep up with the younger dogs, but his prey drive was still good. I can't keep up with younger hunters either, but I still love to hunt!
2 years later, I still miss my old hunting bud. 😥

GSP will change your life. Great hunting dogs, but like others mentioned they need to run. They don't slow down until 6-7 but are also amazing family pets. Mine is a Velcro dog. At 11 her big hunts are over but she still makes a fantastic house dog.

Attachments

• IMG_3621.jpeg
    IMG_3621.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3050.jpeg
    IMG_3050.jpeg
    301 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210207_122218_Original.jpeg
    20210207_122218_Original.jpeg
    695.4 KB · Views: 16
Great hunting dogs.

They need attention and space.

Very high energy and need lots of exercise.... if you know the parents even better and you'll get a feel for what you may get.

I wanted one but we were starting our family and they can be a little temperamental and didn't want any incidents with little ones. For that reason we got a golden retriever which was the right choice for us.

As with every dog..... Good training trumps everything.

That sounds like exactly the situation we had, plans to start a family and we wanted a dog that would be good with kids. So far our field bred golden Cedar has been working out quite well.

IMG_0791.jpeg
IMG_0792.jpeg
IMG_0790.jpeg