Wirehaired Pointing Griffon resources?

jpfrog

I'm a lifelong lab owner, with a couple of golden retrievers mixed in, but mostly labs. My last lab (profile pic) was quite literally the best dog I've ever known, let alone been able to call my own. He passed last summer, and I'm looking to get another pup- was planning on a lab, but it looks like it'll be mid to late '24 before the breeding I'm looking for takes place (I'm very particular!). All of that said, the family (wife, two young boys, and me) is desperately needing another pup in the house- things just aren't the same without one around. I've hunted over Wirehaired Pointing Griffons a couple of times and really have been impressed with them, and had thought that someday I might like to try having one around. So, I'm going to be picking one up in about a month.

I have the Wolters books for gun dog/bird dog training, as well as other resources, all of which I've practically committed to memory. Are there any other WPG specific resources I should hunt down and thoroughly read before picking up the pup? Any big differences I should be aware of as compared to a lab? I know they're a bit softer and cannot handle as much repetition, so training sessions should be a bit more brief, but what else should I brush up on before picking up the pup?

Thanks in advance!

This is a breed I'd like to own.
I'm hesitant to get a non-lab because I know them so well at this point, but I've been impressed with the few of these I've been around and I have been wanting to add some more upland focus so I can have one that goes and points, and then the lab can handle clean up when I get another one of those. Also, for cold days on the water, folks have told me that the WPG doesn't handle it as well as the lab, so I could be pretty versatile having both in my house. I just want to make sure I learn about everything I don't know with this breed so the pup isn't traumatized by my ignorance, haha.

I would have to add they are definitely unique. Mine always seems to know when she shouldn't be doing something and hardly have to get after her. They seem to take any negative personally. They will position themselves so they can oversee everything going on around them. Imo they have a much more unique personality than a lab. Having been around a few labs, the Griff has a much better personality and is much more dedicated to the owner than I have seen in a lab. Downfall is all the brushing if you get one with a shaggy coat.

LOL, it's not brushing, it's bonding! "My master loves me." LOL!!
Not sure that was her thoughts after this outing.
IMG_7567.jpeg

Guy from Wisconsin had a WPG at Game Fair, about 20 years ago. He said that dog had 2 litters of pups in less than 2 years, 9 pups and 11pups, they all made it, he sold them, made nearly $20,000. He loved that bitch! They are cool looking hunting dog.

Last edited:
My friends parents bred WPG for years. When they started there was only like 50 breeding pairs in the states and all were hunting pedigree. Nowadays you should be sure to buy from proven hunting stock and not the now popular show line.
My friends family dogs were excellent close working dogs with soft mouths and liked to do water work. Their dogs were natural hunters that learned quickly but can be temperamental if pushed too hard.
Great dogs and I think they are the cutest puppies that grow into a somewhat ugly dog. lol
Good luck to you and your new partner

I'm hesitant to get a non-lab because I know them so well at this point, but I've been impressed with the few of these I've been around and I have been wanting to add some more upland focus so I can have one that goes and points, and then the lab can handle clean up when I get another one of those. Also, for cold days on the water, folks have told me that the WPG doesn't handle it as well as the lab, so I could be pretty versatile having both in my house. I just want to make sure I learn about everything I don't know with this breed so the pup isn't traumatized by my ignorance, haha.
Have you thought about buying a Pointing Lab? Look up K and L Kennels here in Missouri, Mike trains and has Pointing Labs.
His phone number is 816-616-5942, give him a call he's a nice guy.

First off, Griffs love cold that's not close to being true. They have a dual coat. It's the heat you have to watch them in. Seen one go down during a Master/Senior hunt test, it was fine the next day. Tested again, I wouldn't have ran the dog. Griffs are in-between a Britney and a GSP as how intense your training should be. Must be house pet as well. Can be strong willed. Look for conformation, a breeder that does KbKy, Hip tests at a minimum. The AWPGA site has a list of breeders. You could contact the AWPGA Rescue and see if they have any as well.

Attachments

• 20211114_023003.jpg
    20211114_023003.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • 2015-06-17 16.59.59.jpg
    2015-06-17 16.59.59.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 45
Have you thought about buying a Pointing Lab? Look up K and L Kennels here in Missouri, Mike trains and has Pointing Labs.
His phone number is 816-616-5942, give him a call he's a nice guy.
Yep! The lab in my profile picture was a Pointing Lab. The kennel I'm working with on my next lab pup also runs pointing labs exclusively :cool: .