Winter is around the corner…

So easy to get off topic-Sorry.
Times were tough and I was always looking to make a Buck. I worked another job at that same time for $1 a day in an auto shop basement garage taking engines apart. Worked each summer break from school as an apprentice to Carpenters, Plumbers, Electricians and had my own Lawn Mowing Service.
When I turned twelve years old I told my parents that I wanted to buy all my own "Stuff" and be self-supported. Had many jobs as dish washer, busboy, Hamber joint cash resighted. At 16 was a machinist at a Mafia run operation making 60mm mortar shells, 275mm Rockets, 75mm Recoil Rifle Sheils for the Government. Did that full time on second shift while going to school. My dad was so mad at me for working so much and told me to keep my education up. Got paid a huge amount for the time $2.85 an hour!!! At 17- and two-months year old I joined the US Marines. Made me the man I am today.
Kids today don't know the values that they can provide to this Country. They look to take and not give.
Just wish we get some cool weather down here in Houston

So easy to get off topic-Sorry.
Times were tough and I was always looking to make a Buck. I worked another job at that same time for $1 a day in an auto shop basement garage taking engines apart. Worked each summer break from school as an apprentice to Carpenters, Plumbers, Electricians and had my own Lawn Mowing Service.
When I turned twelve years old I told my parents that I wanted to buy all my own "Stuff" and be self-supported. Had many jobs as dish washer, busboy, Hamber joint cash resighted. At 16 was a machinist at a Mafia run operation making 60mm mortar shells, 275mm Rockets, 75mm Recoil Rifle Sheils for the Government. Did that full time on second shift while going to school. My dad was so mad at me for working so much and told me to keep my education up. Got paid a huge amount for the time $2.85 an hour!!! At 17- and two-months year old I joined the US Marines. Made me the man I am today.
Kids today don't know the values that they can provide to this Country. They look to take and not give.
$2.85 an hour not bad wage, when a guy could buy a brand new VW Beetle for $1,999. Think Merle Haggard said it best," When a Man could still work, and still would!"

Snowing pretty good here today. Was -10 this morning. Up around Peace River it was -20. Definitely now winter. Got the winter tires put on my Wife's Jeep Friday last week. Heading out hunting end of the month, happy to have the snow and frozen ground. I hate mud or dust when hunting.
Oh great…I see you're in Alberta….that means it's coming here next! 🤣

Just wish we get some cool weather down here in Houston
asd9055 Better weather is on your way.
We have the BEST WEATHER all year now. The whole summer was RAIN, HUMIDITY & HEAT here in East GA.

NOW-It is Sunny, leaves falling, no humidity to speak of and in the 70s during the day and 40s at night. Could sit in a tree stand from 0600 to 1800 and love every minute!!!!
Bucks are in the RUT!

I grew up with chains in upstate NY, 2 WD pickups became little more manageable hunting in snow with chains. Still carry for out west, last used them in Oct 2019 2nd rifle in CO to bug out during blizzard. Not sure if I would have gotten out as well. My wife was laughing at me practicing putting them on Ram2500 4x4 in Sept in driveway before trip! I placed bright red zip tie in correct link for adjustment. Really glad I did for putting them on during heavy snow. Easy peasy. Other guys in camp cussing laying under trucks.!

The weather extremes are interesting to read about. It is amazing how people adapt. I'm still waiting on the first good frost here. It makes hunting much more enjoyable when the tick and mosquito population drops down.
I do remember having a set of studded tires for my 66 VW bug. That old VW would just about go anywhere in the snow and ice.

It is here I'd say.

In a somewhat rare turn of events, the provincial capital of Regina, Saskatchewan, has "real winter" before we do, and I live about a 4 hour drive north of them. But this is the picture my aunt sent of what's happening down there this morning. Still snowing too.

1698159786597.png

Twas a bit chilly walking the kids to school today…not used to this yet haha, gotta toughen up after an unseasonably warm October thus far. This morning it's -10 c or 14 Fahrenheit.

On a serious note, just saw a headline that in Alberta, on account of the icy conditions, there was a school bus rollover. Thankfully no one died. But 6 kids in the hospital with injuries. Something about a school bus rolling just makes me feel sick.

It is here I'd say.

In a somewhat rare turn of events, the provincial capital of Regina, Saskatchewan, has "real winter" before we do, and I live about a 4 hour drive north of them. But this is the picture my aunt sent of what's happening down there this morning. Still snowing too.

View attachment 504637

Twas a bit chilly walking the kids to school today…not used to this yet haha, gotta toughen up after an unseasonably warm October thus far. This morning it's -10 c or 14 Fahrenheit.

On a serious note, just saw a headline that in Alberta, on account of the icy conditions, there was a school bus rollover. Thankfully no one died. But 6 kids in the hospital with injuries. Something about a school bus rolling just makes me feel sick.
The thing I don't miss, is getting a car that was parked outside prepped to drive anywhere