Why the 338-378 Weatherby is my favorite long range Rifle

What's not to like? The recoil.
I run mine with a JP Recoil Eliminator. Shoots like a 308. But noisy as.
When I started working ujp loads there were no LRX, or even TTSX, I was using the plain old TSX. Recently loaded some of the TTSX, shot the same as the TSX. Not sure I would use the TTSX on buffalo.
I would. Bone busters. 👍🏻

I totally clean my 338-378 bore every 50 shots to prevent bad erosion .I also stick mostly with 250 grain bullets so it's not eating up the throat .I also use r25 that uses less powder which causes less barrel wear from less powder .You can burn out the bore in these guns quick shooting it too hot and too fast quick .
I was careful to clean after every range session, usually 10-12 shots. I may have burnt out my barrel using it in a fly shoot - 35 rounds or so in about an hour. Was running 225 Barnes through it.

I approve this message! 👍👍👍👍

I like the way you think…..including the Barnes bullet, I'm just assuming it's the LRX, which I just went to in my .375 AI. What's not to like when you have a rifle/cartridge/ bullet for ….."All seasons and All reasons"! 😉 memtb
Just out of curiosity, why did you choose a 375 AI over a 375 Weatherby?

I would. Bone busters. 👍🏻
true that. But if I was hunting Buffalo it would be from around 100 meters or so. No need for the tipped projectile, I would choose one of the heavier TSX bullets, either the 300 gr. or 350 grain. Having said that, If I was hunting a thin skinned animal with the 270 LRX in Africa and a nice buffalo stepped out, I would feel confident with the projectile.

What's not to like? The recoil.
I run mine with a JP Recoil Eliminator. Shoots like a 308. But noisy as.
When I started working ujp loads there were no LRX, or even TTSX, I was using the plain old TSX. Recently loaded some of the TTSX, shot the same as the TSX. Not sure I would use the TTSX on buffalo.

I started in '91 with the original "X" Bullet, and have progressed as Barnes progressed!

My only regret, as I hate light bullets, was using the 250 TTSX as it was the only high BC bullet for several years…..until the LRX was introduced. By then, I had a bunch of 250's and was difficult to justify buying the LRX's. memtb

Just out of curiosity, why did you choose a 375 AI over a 375 Weatherby?

Some of it is just me…..I've never been a Weatherby fan. That said, I had a bunch of H&H brass at that time. H&H brass was, at that time, very available and much less expensive than the Weatherby brass. Plus, though a very minor difference…the AI has a bit more capacity. Another small reason, my gunsmith was a good friend of my good friend……and he had an AI reamer!

To better summarize……brass availability and brass cost! memtb

Last edited:
I'd like a 7.5 in. better than the 9 . I was thinking 6 be good but I rarely use it. Probably been 10 years. I gunsmith i knew where I used to live did trigger work on it. Double and single action is unbelievable. He did on my GP100 357 and a Colt 45 Gov. also. Perfect. I've done my own trigger work on all the Blackhawks I've had. Never wanted to try a double action other than cut coils on main hammer spring. My S&W 460 had a pretty nice double and single action pull from factory. Never wanted lighter. I still have my Super Blackhawk 44 mag. I got the trigger perfect on it. I'm rambling and derailing again. 🙄
338-378.... 😉
My friend has my old 7 1/2" super red hawk and will sell it back to me when I get the coin. I have the S&W 460 8 3/8". Yes the trigger is light and to the point it scares me as to when cocking it back to fire cuz I had once or twice prematurely hit the trigger but not to the point I wasn't safely launching it down range.(full load with 300gr GDHP) I def don't want it any lighter. But someday I'll have my old 454 back just cuz plus it's much lighter than that XVR. Okay I'm done I don't want to derail this thread.