Why the 338-378 Weatherby is my favorite long range Rifle

I just bought another pound . For $45.95 I had to. Retumbo up to $53.95. Was $51.95 last month. Before that $49.95. I have enough that to last two life times. H1000 also now $51.95. Don't know why I did but bought some 30 cal 220 ELDX for $47.95. Old pricing. They have a tiny bit less BC than the 212 ELDX. I almost got some 225 ELDX 777 BC for $57.95. Was new pricing. He got in some Berger 215 hybrids for $82.95 😳 I still have two box's. Price tags are $74.95 and $64.95 😬 That's the update from here 😆
I quoted myself again today for second time ... 🙃
My last I picked up was $48 with a little drive. But in my same town it's $63. I kinda boycott those prices but last time I went for the drive the $48 was gone. So I'm looking elsewhere.

I don't know if I'd want a 5 in.. 8 in. bad enough. I'd like to get my 9 in. 454 Casull Ruger Super Redhawk cut down to 6 in. A Gunsmith in town said he'd do it and crown barrel and drill and remount front sight for $200. Tempting. I've only let one Gunsmith here work on my guns. He has threaded four of my rifle barrels. $80.00 apiece. Last one $70.00 because he thought he took too long to get done. Lol. The other guy charges $120.00 . At Wyoming Armory I spent $1600.00 in 2019 on a new Bartlien 5R Varmit conture barrel cut to 28 in. For my 300 Rum. Action trued. Bigger recoil lug, better firing pin spring , all cerakoted , a Stockeys thumhole stock and Simms pad. I had a brain fart. Should of had a carbon fiber barrel put on. Now is 3.5 pds. Heavier. Not my mountain rifle anymore 😒
I was gonna kill for a RSRH 9" 454 but lost the auction. Had a 7 1/2 want that back now

Does that still have the brake on it or is that the one without the brake?
I don't know…..yet!

I bought my 8 3/8" used, didn't have the "port block"…..my term! I've tried to find one and make the muzzle blast "almost" tolerable!

Though……I'm guess'n that recoil might be enhanced! To which I reply to myself……Ya Think? 😜 memtb

I liked my 338-378, up until i got around 400 shots down the barrel. Then the groups opened up to 2+inches. Bore scoped it and saw the Pac-nor stainless barrel was severely eroded and unsalvagable. It was great until then.
Secondly, Weatherby did chamber the Accumark in 338 Lapua a few years ago, if I'm not mistaken.
Thirdly - I built a long range rifle chambered in 378 Weatherby, with a Krieger 5r barrel. It spits out 270 gr. bullets at 3200 fps, and I have put many more rounds down the tube than I was able with my 338-378. It's a half MOA gun with Barnes projectiles, which is all I use for hunting. 300 grain bullets come out at 3000 fps. Haven't gone heavier. Killed 4 hogs at 400 meters with two shots a while back. I'm aware many don't think 400 meters is long range, but still, the performance was awesome. It is also nice to have a LR rifle that doubles as a dangerous game rifle. I have done considerable damage to 2000 lb. Buffalo with the gun shooting 300 grain TSX bullets in the Australian Northern Territory. I haven't tried the 350 grain Barnes yet, but that is on my list of things to do.

I liked my 338-378, up until i got around 400 shots down the barrel. Then the groups opened up to 2+inches. Bore scoped it and saw the Pac-nor stainless barrel was severely eroded and unsalvagable. It was great until then.
Secondly, Weatherby did chamber the Accumark in 338 Lapua a few years ago, if I'm not mistaken.
Thirdly - I built a long range rifle chambered in 378 Weatherby, with a Krieger 5r barrel. It spits out 270 gr. bullets at 3200 fps, and I have put many more rounds down the tube than I was able with my 338-378. It's a half MOA gun with Barnes projectiles, which is all I use for hunting. 300 grain bullets come out at 3000 fps. Haven't gone heavier. Killed 4 hogs at 400 meters with two shots a while back. I'm aware many don't think 400 meters is long range, but still, the performance was awesome. It is also nice to have a LR rifle that doubles as a dangerous game rifle. I have done considerable damage to 2000 lb. Buffalo with the gun shooting 300 grain TSX bullets in the Australian Northern Territory. I haven't tried the 350 grain Barnes yet, but that is on my list of things to do.

I approve this message! 👍👍👍👍

I like the way you think…..including the Barnes bullet, I'm just assuming it's the LRX, which I just went to in my .375 AI. What's not to like when you have a rifle/cartridge/ bullet for ….."All seasons and All reasons"! 😉 memtb

I have the Accumark in 338LM. Love it

I totally clean my 338-378 bore every 50 shots to prevent bad erosion .I also stick mostly with 250 grain bullets so it's not eating up the throat .I also use r25 that uses less powder which causes less barrel wear from less powder .You can burn out the bore in these guns quick shooting it too hot and too fast quick .

I was gonna kill for a RSRH 9" 454 but lost the auction. Had a 7 1/2 want that back now
I'd like a 7.5 in. better than the 9 . I was thinking 6 be good but I rarely use it. Probably been 10 years. I gunsmith i knew where I used to live did trigger work on it. Double and single action is unbelievable. He did on my GP100 357 and a Colt 45 Gov. also. Perfect. I've done my own trigger work on all the Blackhawks I've had. Never wanted to try a double action other than cut coils on main hammer spring. My S&W 460 had a pretty nice double and single action pull from factory. Never wanted lighter. I still have my Super Blackhawk 44 mag. I got the trigger perfect on it. I'm rambling and derailing again. 🙄
338-378.... 😉

Last edited:
I don't know…..yet!

I bought my 8 3/8" used, didn't have the "port block"…..my term! I've tried to find one and make the muzzle blast "almost" tolerable!

Though……I'm guess'n that recoil might be enhanced! To which I reply to myself……Ya Think? 😜 memtb
It doesn't make a big difference. More blast though.

I approve this message! 👍👍👍👍

I like the way you think…..including the Barnes bullet, I'm just assuming it's the LRX, which I just went to in my .375 AI. What's not to like when you have a rifle/cartridge/ bullet for ….."All seasons and All reasons"! 😉 memtb
What's not to like? The recoil.
I run mine with a JP Recoil Eliminator. Shoots like a 308. But noisy as.
When I started working ujp loads there were no LRX, or even TTSX, I was using the plain old TSX. Recently loaded some of the TTSX, shot the same as the TSX. Not sure I would use the TTSX on buffalo.