Why the 338-378 Weatherby is my favorite long range Rifle

A gentleman on another forum has a 5" S&W 460 XVR that he's thinking about selling. I don't "need" it nearly as much as I "want" it…..and FAR less than my wife wants it! It's probably not in my future! 😜 memtb
I don't know if I'd want a 5 in.. 8 in. bad enough. I'd like to get my 9 in. 454 Casull Ruger Super Redhawk cut down to 6 in. A Gunsmith in town said he'd do it and crown barrel and drill and remount front sight for $200. Tempting. I've only let one Gunsmith here work on my guns. He has threaded four of my rifle barrels. $80.00 apiece. Last one $70.00 because he thought he took too long to get done. Lol. The other guy charges $120.00 . At Wyoming Armory I spent $1600.00 in 2019 on a new Bartlien 5R Varmit conture barrel cut to 28 in. For my 300 Rum. Action trued. Bigger recoil lug, better firing pin spring , all cerakoted , a Stockeys thumhole stock and Simms pad. I had a brain fart. Should of had a carbon fiber barrel put on. Now is 3.5 pds. Heavier. Not my mountain rifle anymore 😒

Last edited:
I like my 8 3/8", for hunting purposes. I'd like to have the 5" as it's a bit more portable and a bit quicker, easier access from a cross chest carry rig. Maybe for a bit more practical when "strolling" among the bears! 😉 memtb

Lenny, they're definitely effective on game and have great ballistics. And, unless you want to shoot a lot from the bench, they're not difficult to master. I'm also guess'n, that most are wearing "weed burners"!

My wife's 9 pound (all up) .338WM doesn't compare in velocity to those above, and is just a bit above 2900 mv with a 225 Barnes TTSX…..and "no weed burner"! She does quite well with it hunting……hates shooting from the bench. Soooooo she does minimal bench shooting with it….. bench shooting or practical feild shooting is what other rifles are to be used for.

You only need to shoot hunting rifles to be sufficiently proficient with them, after all they're hunting rifles…..right! 🤔 😉. Burn up the barrels on sump'n else! 😁 memtb
lol been waiting to see you pipe up 😀

It has been an interesting read about all the 338 this and that. For my part I will say that after watching several of Kirby's videos and shooting a 338 Edge that belonged to someone else, I had a gunsmith build one for me. My first requirement was that it shoot itty bitty little groups. It does. Five shots at a hundred under .350. Unfortunately there are no long ranges close to me but it will bang an 6" gong at five hundred all day long.
I also carry around the boat anchor called 460 S&W 8 3/8 " revolver.
What I really wanted when I started reading this thread was an answer to the question:
Where and who is a GREAT gunsmith to build a rifle?
Seems to have been lost in all the great comments about how great the 338 is. Which is undeniably the TRUTH!
Please help us out with a name?

Yes, that's the reason that S&W offered the "carriage" option! 😜 memtb
I think some took me serious about being paroled 😆 Sorry If you did ! Or Maybe pizzed that we were derailing thread🤔 I can't contribute. As far as rifles I've never owned any larger that 30 cal.. So I'll shut up now. Memtb always gets me into trouble 😬

It has been an interesting read about all the 338 this and that. For my part I will say that after watching several of Kirby's videos and shooting a 338 Edge that belonged to someone else, I had a gunsmith build one for me. My first requirement was that it shoot itty bitty little groups. It does. Five shots at a hundred under .350. Unfortunately there are no long ranges close to me but it will bang an 6" gong at five hundred all day long.
I also carry around the boat anchor called 460 S&W 8 3/8 " revolver.
What I really wanted when I started reading this thread was an answer to the question:
Where and who is a GREAT gunsmith to build a rifle?
Seems to have been lost in all the great comments about how great the 338 is. Which is undeniably the TRUTH!
Please help us out with a name?
Sorry for derailing. What state are you in. You may have mentioned early