Why e-bikes give more exercise

I'm all for folks taking advantage of an ebike to get out if they can t do the hard miles on a bike, run, etc anymore.

But this article stating e-bikes are actually a better workout is yet another example of what's wrong with society today. Nobody wants to put in the work.

Not a shot at those of you who have done lifetime of hard work and been there done that in the mountain west…you've earned the easier trip up the mtn at this point…more a shot at those living in New York City, writing the is article trying to convince lazy folks to be even lazier and that somehow it will make them healthier.

Exactly.

That's why I don't have plumbing. To easy to just **** inside. Makes you soft.

No fancy horseless carriages either. I just strap stuff on a sled made of birch bark and drag it behind me.

Rifles and scopes? Bah! Too easy. Real men can get it done with a sharp rock tied to the end of a long stick.

Don't even get me started on computers and the internet. Sharing information/entertainment on the walls of my cave keeps me strong!

Exactly.

That's why I don't have plumbing. To easy to just **** inside. Makes you soft.

No fancy horseless carriages either. I just strap stuff on a sled made of birch bark and drag it behind me.

Rifles and scopes? Bah! Too easy. Real men can get it done with a sharp rock tied to the end of a long stick.

Don't even get me started on computers and the internet. Sharing information/entertainment on the walls of my cave keeps me strong!
You forgot riding your loud sxs up and down the trails all rifle season glassing form the comfort of your heated cab and wondering why there aren't any **** elk in your unit…must be the overcrowding.

Some things are great additions to society. I for me love taking a dump in my heated house. Fantastic.

However, arguing that being lazy is actually a better workout is a new form of stupid. We're not talking about day to day life and creature comforts…we're talking about health and fitness, heck even survival. If you want to skimp there, be my guest.

I believe some of you are missing the point of the article. The author was simply pointing out that the data shows "most" people actually benefit from going with peddle assisted e-bikes vs traditional bikes. More enjoyment, longer rides, and therefore more exercise is the key. Hardcore mountain bikers or those that feel there is no gain unless there is pain are not considered the majority of people.

Last edited:
I believe some of you are missing the point of the article. The author was simply painting out that the data shows "most" people actually benefit from going with peddle assisted e-bikes vs traditional bikes. More enjoyment, longer rides, and therefore more exercise is the key. Hardcore mountain bikers or those that feel there is no gain unless there is pain are not considered the majority of people.
Cherry picked data to support a narrative.

if I ride a mtn bike from the trail head to a point 5 miles up the trail, I burn more calories due to effort and time than if I ride an e-bike up that is faster and requires less effort.

The writer and I agree with your statement.

What is your point?

Its simple......if the people on the ebikes are actually getting outside to get some exercise..... it may help them with health problems...it may help them with mental illness as well...as it is what is keeping me going these days....
but being out is the true benefit......

no matter what some
'pig-headed trail master' thinks.....

Its simple......if the people on the ebikes are actually getting outside to get some exercise..... it may help them with health problems...it may help them with mental illness as well...as it is what is keeping me going these days....
but being out is the true benefit......

no matter what some
'pig-headed trail master' thinks.....
Imagine calling someone pig-headed for saying actual exercise is better for you than riding an e-bike😂

I would not be caught dead on an e-bike. Basically admitting you are not in good shape or, at best, over the hill. I ride road bikes in AZ and mountain bikes in CO. But the biggest issue I have with them is they are used in places that ban motorized vehicles.

I used to run four miles every other day, but had my ankle replaced two years ago and running became super painful. I started riding bikes almost exclusively for exercise, which I could do without pain. After living in pain for two years, I scheduled another ankle replacement. Found out two weeks ago one of three pegs going into my tibia had broken (how the hell did I do that?) and one was loose. Fingers crossed this one works.

I do not see humor in the article, as it is clearly articulated and related by others. As with anything else, it is a matter of perspective.
Fair enough. Perhaps the article is correct for a certain demographic. However, I question the article's definition of exercise. I suppose beauty is in the eye beholder or it's in a matter of perspective as you mentioned.

I see people in Missoula tooling around on e-bikes all over town as it's a lib urbanite haven. That being said, the ones commuting on e-bikes were commuting on pedal bikes before they got the fancy new e-bike.

To be clear, I'm not an e-bike hater, but I personally think this article is inaccurate. Perhaps in Europe it is accurate as that's where the article is from.

Fair enough. Perhaps the article is correct for a certain demographic. However, I question the article's definition of exercise. I suppose beauty is in the eye beholder or it's in a matter of perspective as you mentioned.

I see people in Missoula tooling around on e-bikes all over town as it's a lib urbanite haven. That being said, the ones commuting on e-bikes were commuting on pedal bikes before they got the fancy new e-bike.

To be clear, I'm not an e-bike hater, but I personally think this article is inaccurate. Perhaps in Europe it is accurate as that's where the article is from.
Yes, exercise or any physical activity is also a matter of perspective. Heck, everything in life is a matter of perspective. One either embraces it or not, be supportive or not. I have seen way too many people who go to the gym all dressed up more for a social event than for actual exercise. I have my headsets on and tune everything out. For my cardio, I do incline on the treadmill and maintain my BP and heart rate that simulate buck fever.

My wife is a long-time member of an all-girls hiking club and logs 150-200 miles per year hiking/snowshoeing in the tri-state area, Canada, and Europe (Croatia was their latest trip). She slowed down quite a bit since she had double knee surgery. I got her a bike because she wanted it as part of her physical therapy/conditioning, but it has never been the same since her operation. She used to hike/bike the Hiawatha Trails near you but could no longer do it. She only does moderate hikes these days.