which caliber ?

I am just starting to consider building a longer range gun---may 600
to 1000 for plinking and maybe coyote. Thinking of a Precision aero
receiver (bolt action) as I like its features and its reasonably priced.
Thinking of a long but fat fluted barrel (all steel) maybe 26-28 with
maybe a sound mitigation device (they work well)

I shoot 308 and 223 mostly. I think I need a higher BC than 308 will give me. I am tinkering with 60 gr V-max in 223 but I know that will be weak past 600. I am leaning towards something in 6mm or 6.5 or 7mm. I think I like 6.6 PRC but I dont like the brass prices. Like a little umph that 6.5 creed. there is 243Win, 7mm-08, 260rem and 280 rem, there is 270 win. Like to have something I can get inexpensive new brass for --- and something that will take the long, high BC bullets. Like to keep the reciol down to 308 win levels or less. Dont want a barrel burner either.

and considering the "Old" calibers--- can I just have my barrel
cut with a longer leade to accommodate the newer High BC bullets ? or it there more to it than that. ( I'd like it to be box magazine fed too- BTW) Would that mean going to a medium action and mag so my longer OAL will fit into a magazine ?

Im sure many of you have asked these same questions----
Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts.....
Tim

I think the majority has spoken where it comes to your requirements. As for older cartridges and high BC like I recommended and on second thought don't go down that road. The cost is higher. When you get into the high BC long skinny bullets you are going to have a learning curve as it is when you start load development.

Im just beginning long range. Only shot to 600 with 308.
I think the 6.5 creed is perfect for a starting caliber. I am still exploring how far I can shoot here.... I may have access to 1000 acres in the mountains here that adjoins my 30.
Maybe later the PRC cases will become cheaper and I will have "gotten the feel" of the 6.5 C by then. Was thinking of coyotes as targets of opportunity to infinity :)cool: ) and deer to maybe 300. or 200. Seems like the 6.5C is like the 22lr of long range calibers. "Boy's first sniper round" :)
Just ordered an Arken 5-25 x 56 scope. That will be transplanted to it later on once its built. It will go on the 308 savage 10FP for now. looks like a fine scope. especially for low$$$$.

I think the 6.5 creed is perfect for a starting caliber. I am still exploring how far I can shoot here.... I may have access to 1000 acres in the mountains here that adjoins my 30.
Maybe later the PRC cases will become cheaper and I will have "gotten the feel" of the 6.5 C by then. Was thinking of coyotes as targets of opportunity to infinity :)cool: ) and deer to maybe 300. or 200. Seems like the 6.5C is like the 22lr of long range calibers. "Boy's first sniper round" :)
Just ordered an Arken 5-25 x 56 scope. That will be transplanted to it later on once its built. It will go on the 308 savage 10FP for now. looks like a fine scope. especially for low$$$$.
Whatever your decision, enjoy it. 👍. Keep in mind "buy once, cry once"

I think you should buy a 6.5 Creedmoor...just saying ;)

I would say 6.5 Creed, because you already have a 308. Some have said that the 6.5C has good barrel life, but I think that's kind of subjective. Certainly it's a lot better than a 6 Creed. But half of the 308. If I only or mostly shot a 6.5 Creed I would be buying a new barrel every year to 18 months. Looking to get another soon as a matter of a fact.

That brings up a point. When you said Aero I presume you meant Solus. That is smart I think, they take Zermatt Orgin Prefit Barrels. That is the only way I will get a new rifle anymore, one that takes prefits.

Last edited:
Personally I feel like performance wise the 6.5CM is over rated.

If you are a reloader there are better choices in the same class; I.e. 6.5x47 Lapua and 260AI. My 260AI runs 147ELDM @ 2955 with a 24" barrel. My buddy's CM is 200fps slower with the 143ELDX.

If you just need good factory rifles and good factory ammo available, the 6.5CM is the better choice.

No matter what caliber you choose, part of the process is learning to read wind and knowing your rifle and its ballistics. If you can't judge wind and don't know the ballistics of your weapon, it doesn't matter what caliber you're shooting. You won't be successful, especially at 1000 yards or more. Why burn up a ton of powder, very expensive bullets and expensive custom barrel learning? It's the same reason as why most of us started shooting .22 rimfire as kids. Well, unless you're retired with a ton of free time and are independently wealthy...then go for it
I would argue a bullet that drift 4 or 5 MOA at 1000 yards in a 5 mph wind is going to be a waste of time trying to connect on a 1 MOA target at 1000 yards. With that kind of drift, the wind can easily change during your TOF enough to cause a 1 MOA miss, even with a perfect wind call. To hit that target 100% of the time (assuming your 6.5 is a 1/2 MOA rifle), your wind call would have to be perfect (within 1/4 mph). Even a hit dead center would leave me wondering if I made a great wind call or perhaps the wind changed during the TOF to "steer" my bullet into dead center.

I used to think practicing with my .308 was a great way to learn how to read the wind. What I learned was there are much better ways to connect at 1000 yards than a .308. It didn't teach me squat about reading with wind at 1000. 500 yards? Worked well. So if the OPs goal is to hit at 500, by all means, go for a 6.5 CM.

I shoot a lot of PDs with a .223; on most days in CO, I have to hold slightly into with wind at 200; at 3 or 400, a lot. None of this is transferable to big game shooting - I have never held for wind at 200, and it takes a pretty strong wind to require more than 1 MOA at 500 with the calibers I shoot.

Your comment about being wealthy makes sense, but the one about "a ton of free time?" If your time is limited, practice with the cartridge you are going to be hunting with.

Last edited:
LR----
every caliber is going to have some drift. a 155 shell is going to drift a little bit over 1000 yards. Trying to eliminate drift by going bigger, faster and heavier--- is good to a point---- and I guess where that point is- is a matter of
convenience--- that is how much effort do you want to put into harder to find and use calibers. I never bought the 338 Lapua because its such a powder hog and the cases are so expensive. Performance it NOT lacking on it though. I think where that line falls is different for everyone. I think the 6.5 is perfect for a first gun to Strech out distance and learn some new stuff. I can all ways upgrade to a new chambering later using the Solace and pre-chambered barrels.
The solace looks like a very easy system. Not a budget breaker either - as that kind of thing goes. Maybe more than a new savage - but not much more. And a good platform to build on.

over-rated ? depends on who is rating it and what your expectations are for it. A modern version of the 243 maybe. an somewhat better alternative to 308.... yes.
for targets and smaller game - pretty good. not a 300 winmag. but its not supposed to be. :) Great for its "weight class.....? " -- yes.....

Recent Posts