which caliber ?

Catbrain

I am just starting to consider building a longer range gun---may 600
to 1000 for plinking and maybe coyote. Thinking of a Precision aero
receiver (bolt action) as I like its features and its reasonably priced.
Thinking of a long but fat fluted barrel (all steel) maybe 26-28 with
maybe a sound mitigation device (they work well)

I shoot 308 and 223 mostly. I think I need a higher BC than 308 will give me. I am tinkering with 60 gr V-max in 223 but I know that will be weak past 600. I am leaning towards something in 6mm or 6.5 or 7mm. I think I like 6.6 PRC but I dont like the brass prices. Like a little umph that 6.5 creed. there is 243Win, 7mm-08, 260rem and 280 rem, there is 270 win. Like to have something I can get inexpensive new brass for --- and something that will take the long, high BC bullets. Like to keep the reciol down to 308 win levels or less. Dont want a barrel burner either.

and considering the "Old" calibers--- can I just have my barrel
cut with a longer leade to accommodate the newer High BC bullets ? or it there more to it than that. ( I'd like it to be box magazine fed too- BTW) Would that mean going to a medium action and mag so my longer OAL will fit into a magazine ?

Im sure many of you have asked these same questions----
Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts.....
Tim

I went down this same path years ago. The gunsmith recommended 6.5x47 Lapua for its ease of load development and high quality brass. I was thinking seriously of 6.5CM, but I knew I was going to load for it, so 47L is what I went with. So glad I did, it's a 1/2MOA gun all the way to the white buffalo at Raton, and it has killed whitetails and mulies.

If you are going to shoot 600+ yards, you will most likely reload to get a load the rifle likes. Finding the load (ladder tests and lands test) was a fantastic learning road.

I am leaning towards something in 6mm or 6.5 or 7mm. I think I like 6.6 PRC but I dont like the brass prices. Like a little umph that 6.5 creed. there is 243Win, 7mm-08, 260rem and 280 rem, there is 270 win. Like to have something I can get inexpensive new brass for --- and something that will take the long, high BC bullets. Like to keep the reciol down to 308 win levels or less. Dont want a barrel burner either.

cut with a longer leade to accommodate the newer High BC bullets ? or it there more to it than that. ( I'd like it to be box magazine fed too- BTW) Would that mean going to a medium action and mag so my longer OAL will fit into a magazine ?

Tim

Just some thoughts;

Pick out a suppressor first (the TBAC ones are real nice).

You can decide on the rest while your paperwork goes through as I understand it's a slow process!

Consider going with a shorter barrel (like 20") because for example, a 6" suppressor + 20" barrel = 26"

Cartridge wise, I really like the 6mm Creedmoor for what you describe with 105-108gr bullets.

Enjoy the journey!

I use the 6.5 Creedmoor on a regular basis and reload all my 6.5 ammo and get great accuracy 1/2 inch moa at 100 yards. So I don't see a problem in reloading the 6.5 Creedmoor I use the 129 gr. -143 gr .eld-x and the 147 gr. eld-m by Hornady. I don't use the 140 gr. but one day I might . For now the 143 eld-x is superb for now.

I'm not sure what you consider high in brass prices, but availability and quality are more important to me. I would definitely consider a shorter barrel if shooting suppressed. I'm a 7mm/.284 fan. I'm also a .308 fan. You can pick your chambering based on your priorities. Barrel twist will be important if you want to shoot the longer mono's.

I am just starting to consider building a longer range gun---may 600
to 1000 for plinking and maybe coyote. Thinking of a Precision aero
receiver (bolt action) as I like its features and its reasonably priced.
Thinking of a long but fat fluted barrel (all steel) maybe 26-28 with
maybe a sound mitigation device (they work well)

I shoot 308 and 223 mostly. I think I need a higher BC than 308 will give me. I am tinkering with 60 gr V-max in 223 but I know that will be weak past 600. I am leaning towards something in 6mm or 6.5 or 7mm. I think I like 6.6 PRC but I dont like the brass prices. Like a little umph that 6.5 creed. there is 243Win, 7mm-08, 260rem and 280 rem, there is 270 win. Like to have something I can get inexpensive new brass for --- and something that will take the long, high BC bullets. Like to keep the reciol down to 308 win levels or less. Dont want a barrel burner either.

Tim
I use the 224 Valkyrie shooting the factory 88 grain Hornady and hand land the Berger 85.5's . I also have a Bergara BMP 6.5 Creedmoor hand load the Hornady 147's . I use both for competition's. They both easily shoot out to and past a 1,000 yards accurately and both are capable hunting rounds with good barrel life.