Which caliber

Or in the tent when yogi jumps on top of it...
On a flyout camp one guy was covered with fish slime in our tent. We had grizzlies, moose, and wolves sighted on that island. I saw bear tracks on the bank I was fishing on lol. Running up and down the bank fighting salmon on 8lb test looking over my shoulder lol. I had the time of my life.

It would seem fairly effective at stopping a bear with 500gr @ 1250 fps or 350gr @ 1600 fps. If that does not stop it, I'm not sure anything will. Yes, I am trying to justify why I have a 500SW other than laughing at people the first time they shoot it.😂

I'm NO EXPERT when it comes to bear protection with handguns. But I viewed handguns as last ditch effort. So I went with the biggest gun I could shoot accurately and quickly. Since I competed and trained with revolvers a lot I went with a 4" 44 M29. A person should pick the biggest sidearm they can make fast accurate shots with. And carry the appropriate longarm lol.

I'm NO EXPERT when it comes to bear protection with handguns. But I viewed handguns as last ditch effort. So I went with the biggest gun I could shoot accurately and quickly. Since I competed and trained with revolvers a lot I went with a 4" 44 M29. A person should pick the biggest sidearm they can make fast accurate shots with. And carry the appropriate longarm lol.
I've tried a few revolvers.

480 Ruger and 2 smith 44 mags. I just don't shoot them accurately consistently. I've missed every deer I've shot at. Then I bought a 44 mag Desert Eagle. Shot 3 deer in a matter of 30 seconds between 18-48yds. Something about the frame design between semi autos and revolvers must be my crux. That DE though is too heavy to hunt anywhere but a stand. No way would I lug that beast around mountains. So, that's what lead me to consider the 10mm Glock. I know I can shoot Glocks really good and in the moment of truth/life and death I would be better off with the Glock. This is me. I can be weird. Maybe somebody is vise-versa. Just be honest with yourself.

480 Ruger and 2 smith 44 mags. I just don't shoot them accurately consistently. I've missed every deer I've shot at. Then I bought a 44 mag Desert Eagle. Shot 3 deer in a matter of 30 seconds between 18-48yds. Something about the frame design between semi autos and revolvers must be my crux. That DE though is too heavy to hunt anywhere but a stand. No way would I lug that beast around mountains. So, that's what lead me to consider the 10mm Glock. I know I can shoot Glocks really good and in the moment of truth/life and death I would be better off with the Glock. This is me. I can be weird. Maybe somebody is vise-versa. Just be honest with yourself.

When I was asked to do EP work I picked a G23 and trained only with that. To get more trigger time I shot IDPA, 3 Gun, and took some of Uncle Scotty's classes with it and an AR. I even shot handgun silhouette at the COSSA range with a world champ. I just have a lot more trigger time with a revovler from when I shot PPC, IDPA, and other stuff. Heck I saw a guide write about a 9mm that he stopped a charging bear with. Not my choice, but it worked for him. We all gotta use what works for us.

I must be the exception on semi autos vs revolvers. I don't know why, but I have always been more accurate with revolvers. I still like my 45acp and other semi's, but just never have been able to match the accuracy achieved with revolvers. It may have something to do with my old eyes. I am still trying to find a original Colt Python that I won't have to sell my truck to afford. Does the recoil on your 10mm make quick follow up shots difficult?

I bought a used Glock 20 in 10mm from Scheels, it was a used one from HIDTA, High interval Drug task agency, has a symbol of US special agent and a symbol of the HIDTA with hypodermic needles marijuana leaves and skull and crossbones symbol. I carry it all the time on my chest when I'm bow hunting. Loaded some deep penetrating bullets for the 10mm. And oh, it has night sights on it also

I'm looking to buy a pistol to carry when fishing in Wyoming, what caliber would you get for bears? I was thinking of the 10 mm
Stick to a revolver, .357 Mag or larger.
Barrel 4 inch or shorter.
at that short range you can call self defence, headshots or spinal hits are pretty well a necessity.

During my years living, hunting and fishing in Wyoming, I carried a 5.5" Ruger Redhawk in .41 magnum with 210 Grain XTPs. Lots of horsepower to the round and easy to shoot. A lot of my friends borrowed it for their Elk hunts if I wasn't along. Saw a lot of grizzlies, but never had to shoot one. In Alaska we carried a 12 gauge pump with slugs.