Which scope rings???

TangoOscarMike

I am thinking about a new bear rifle. I have been eyeballing the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger.

I think that I want to go with a Zeiss Victory V8 1-8x30 scope.

My question is what rings do you think that I should go with?

Zeiss says that the scope has a 36mm tube. I have never owned a 36mm scope, so I have zero experience with the rings available.

Also, the rifle's mounts are integrated into the gun itself. So, the rings would attach directly to the rifle. This is a new concept to me as well.

I'm not concerned about saving an ounce in weight or anything aesthetically with these rings. I only want the toughest and strongest rings available that will fit this rifle and scope.

Quick detachable rings would be cool, but I have never experienced a scope failure with a scope of this quality. Also, with a 1.1X magnification I don't believe that I would ever want to take the scope off if a scope failure were not present.

I just had a rail mounted to a Ruger Hawkeye. I like that solution, adds possibilities to the question of rings.

I just had a rail mounted to a Ruger Hawkeye. I like that solution, adds possibilities to the question of rings.

I like that the bases are built into the rifle. I am a firm believer that when there are less moving parts your gear is more reliable.

Another reason that I don't want to add a rail to the rifle is because I want the scope to be as low as possible. If I have to switch from the scope to the irons I want my cheek weld to be as similar as possible. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes (the height of the rail) but it will be a difference none the less.

The spuhr rings/mounting bases are the toughest I've ever seen. They are pricey.

I don't mind spending a couple hundred bucks on the right scope mounting system. You spend over $1000 on a rifle and over $2000 on a scope, so why wouldn't you spend a couple hundred bucks to make sure that both stay married to each other?

I don't mind spending a couple hundred bucks on the right scope mounting system. You spend over $1000 on a rifle and over $2000 on a scope, so why wouldn't you spend a couple hundred bucks to make sure that both stay married to each other?

We agree on buying quality. Some of the spuhr mounts are 4-5 hundred. If a 1-2 hundred dollar mount is solid-then I'm ok with not wasting money.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.