Where do you hunt?

Growing up, my dad always had friends who had thousands of acres of land so we hunted there. I haven't hunted as an adult so I never really thought about where I would hunt. Now that I have the time and am getting back into it, I realize that we don't really have enough land to deer hunt on... so where do you guys hunt if you don't own your own land? I've seen online where people pay many thousands of dollars for a single day of hunting. That will never be me as I don't have that kind of money. I also don't have the money to buy hundreds of acres. So... thoughts?
There is so little public land in Texas you are going to have to get in a lease to have decent Hunting. They are way overpriced there too. If you need something affordable consider western LA, southern AR or OK. No idea where in Texas you are but look there if you live in driving distance. You can get in a GREAT lease in those places for $500-600 a year. Hunt opening week and be done with it. You will run out of tags in 2-3 days if you want to.

Spent most of my adult life in Texas, and like most have already said, lots of private land there. I worked for some big places and my "hunting" consisted of guiding folks that could afford to pay. Moved to MT and was in paradise. I could walk out my back door, across the logging road, and be in the Lolo Nat'l Forest! Covid hit and my company went under. Moved to Denver to start over. Got here too late to hunt last year (you have to be here a year). I was looking forward to this year. Got online today to jump through their Hunter Safety hoops and found out that not only is there an online course; there is also an In-Person experiential aspect to sign up for. They are booked up through early April with the closest place to test 4.5hrs away! Looks like I'll be flinging arrows at 3D targets for another year!

Dale? Is this you? :)
Greg

In Texas its day hunting, or a lease, or a trip to the high fenced zoo. I have a lease in Junction, Texas, the lease is north of $3.5K a year, not cheap and the quality of the animals is low, someone will get a 140 or a little better every year, but it is the exception, it needs to be put in MLD status as we have a buck doe ratio of about 50 to 1 and it shows in the quality of the deer. It aint cheap but it is what it is all over the state.

Before my Dad passed away we hunted near Oakwood, Texas. Dad had about 300 acres and we hunted there. He sold it before he passed. It was an eight hour drive getting there and back and that's if traffic was moderate. We hunted deer and trapped hogs. I also hunted deer near Hunt, Texas.

I've hunted feral hogs near Gonzales, Texas. Near Edna and Sealy, Texas for dove and teal. When I was in my early teens we hunted near Estancia, NM for jackrabbits and prairie dogs. We used lever .22 rifles.

Recent Posts