Where do you hunt?

Growing up, my dad always had friends who had thousands of acres of land so we hunted there. I haven't hunted as an adult so I never really thought about where I would hunt. Now that I have the time and am getting back into it, I realize that we don't really have enough land to deer hunt on... so where do you guys hunt if you don't own your own land? I've seen online where people pay many thousands of dollars for a single day of hunting. That will never be me as I don't have that kind of money. I also don't have the money to buy hundreds of acres. So... thoughts?

What state do you live in?

I hunt mostly large blocks of public land. I have access to family land and other smaller hunks of private land of 80 acres or less per property. These properties are in farm country and there are a lot of deer around. I don't mind a few sits here and there on these smaller chunks, mostly to put some meat in the freezer, but my heart is in the backcountry and in roaming around during the season. I like to get away from crowds and I like being able to hunt wherever I find the best sign. So even though the hunting is generally not near as good on public land, I thoroughly enjoy the setting and the challenge.

I live in WI, where we are fortunate to have a lot of large areas of mostly public forest in the northern portion of the state. There's also a lot of wolves and bears in these areas, so the deer numbers aren't what they used to be, but if you work at it you can still have success. The southern portions of the state are mostly farmland. These areas have a ton of deer and some world class bucks, but access can be tougher. Those without their own land who would like to hunt in the farmland ares pay a lease, know someone, or some hunt smaller chunks of public ground, of which there is a fair amount. In WI they allow hunting in state parks, which can be very large and can offer good deer numbers. Maybe crowded, but I know folks who do very well in these settings.

Last edited:
@Starbuck I live in Texas where we don't really have any public land to speak of (for hunting). Most of the land is privately owned... hence the problem if you don't own 50+ acres. I do have 20 acres in East Texas but there is a house in the middle of it and a few other hunters on the adjacent properties so it isn't ideal either.

i looked into joining hunting clubs, but couldnt find one with an opening anywhere near me. i have an uncle with land, but he's an hour and a half away. the public lands around here are crawling with people, no way i'm risking hunting out there. i couldnt find a lease for less than $1500 per year. I ended up buying my own land for less than the price of a used car (especially now) except it won't depreciate, well hopefully it won't.

Growing up, my dad always had friends who had thousands of acres of land so we hunted there. I haven't hunted as an adult so I never really thought about where I would hunt. Now that I have the time and am getting back into it, I realize that we don't really have enough land to deer hunt on... so where do you guys hunt if you don't own your own land? I've seen online where people pay many thousands of dollars for a single day of hunting. That will never be me as I don't have that kind of money. I also don't have the money to buy hundreds of acres. So... thoughts?
Private lease or public land ,check for any wildlife management areas near you

Spent most of my adult life in Texas, and like most have already said, lots of private land there. I worked for some big places and my "hunting" consisted of guiding folks that could afford to pay. Moved to MT and was in paradise. I could walk out my back door, across the logging road, and be in the Lolo Nat'l Forest! Covid hit and my company went under. Moved to Denver to start over. Got here too late to hunt last year (you have to be here a year). I was looking forward to this year. Got online today to jump through their Hunter Safety hoops and found out that not only is there an online course; there is also an In-Person experiential aspect to sign up for. They are booked up through early April with the closest place to test 4.5hrs away! Looks like I'll be flinging arrows at 3D targets for another year!

@Starbuck I live in Texas where we don't really have any public land to speak of (for hunting). Most of the land is privately owned... hence the problem if you don't own 50+ acres. I do have 20 acres in East Texas but there is a house in the middle of it and a few other hunters on the adjacent properties so it isn't ideal either.

Depending on what part of East Texas, you might look at public areas in Southern Oklahoma, Southern Arkansas and Eastern Louisiana. All three of those states have great hunting opportunities. Getting on a hunting lease in one of those states may/may not be slightly cheaper overall than what may be found in TX.

Spent most of my adult life in Texas, and like most have already said, lots of private land there. I worked for some big places and my "hunting" consisted of guiding folks that could afford to pay. Moved to MT and was in paradise. I could walk out my back door, across the logging road, and be in the Lolo Nat'l Forest! Covid hit and my company went under. Moved to Denver to start over. Got here too late to hunt last year (you have to be here a year). I was looking forward to this year. Got online today to jump through their Hunter Safety hoops and found out that not only is there an online course; there is also an In-Person experiential aspect to sign up for. They are booked up through early April with the closest place to test 4.5hrs away! Looks like I'll be flinging arrows at 3D targets for another year!
I don't think, in CO, you have to have hunters safety from CO. At least that was my experience when I lived there. I think Montana and Arizona (those are just the two states I'm most familiar with) both offer online courses. At least they were offering it for a while, not sure if they still are. But, I'm pretty sure those would be acceptable for CO's hunter safety requirement. Should've been working on that last year for this year.

I'm in Texas also and there is almost zero public hunting land especially if you are not a bow hunter. I'd go to the feed stores and sale barns and start probing around there. We got our lease through a friend who runs cattle on a place that HE leases himself. Landowner lives in Pennsylvania and probably has never seen the land they own in this century.

I have been very lucky to know quite a few ranchers in my area, and usually hunt private land. I pay it back by helping a few of them gather, and brand. I`m no cowboy by any means, but I have been around horses, and livestock most of my life, as my uncles were both ranchers. I do have a couple honey holes on state land that I still hunt depending on tag draw success. The state land places are horseback hunts, and pretty rugged so It keeps most hunters a bit closer to the road. Have killed a few dandy bulls, and a couple decent muleys on public land too though. As far as goats go, there is no shortage of them on public land. It`s tougher to draw the tag than find the goats. Lol

I hunt with a group of 4 family members in northern Kentucky, mostly forested lease property of 160 acres. Landowner allows access year around to cut grass, clear a couple ATV trails, sight in rifles for deer season, move deer stands, etc. It's just nice to visit and hike around in spring before it's hot and humid out.

I don't think, in CO, you have to have hunters safety from CO. At least that was my experience when I lived there. I think Montana and Arizona (those are just the two states I'm most familiar with) both offer online courses. At least they were offering it for a while, not sure if they still are. But, I'm pretty sure those would be acceptable for CO's hunter safety requirement. Should've been working on that last year for this year.
That's true. CO recognizes hunter safety from other agencies

Proof of Hunter Education

Acceptable proof of hunter education consists of:

• An original, duplicate, or replacement Hunter Education card issued by ANY U.S. or Mexican state or Canadian provincial wildlife agency, or, ...

I don't think, in CO, you have to have hunters safety from CO. At least that was my experience when I lived there. I think Montana and Arizona (those are just the two states I'm most familiar with) both offer online courses. At least they were offering it for a while, not sure if they still are. But, I'm pretty sure those would be acceptable for CO's hunter safety requirement. Should've been working on that last year for this y
Deleted

Last edited:

Recent Posts