Where do you hunt?

WilBloodworth

Growing up, my dad always had friends who had thousands of acres of land so we hunted there. I haven't hunted as an adult so I never really thought about where I would hunt. Now that I have the time and am getting back into it, I realize that we don't really have enough land to deer hunt on... so where do you guys hunt if you don't own your own land? I've seen online where people pay many thousands of dollars for a single day of hunting. That will never be me as I don't have that kind of money. I also don't have the money to buy hundreds of acres. So... thoughts?

I'm in a lease with 7 other hunters in Georgia. Approximately 1300 acres of mostly pines and farm land with plenty of deer. We manage it with feeders, mineral, and other supplements year round. My financial status (retired) will not allow me to go on guided hunts but the lease I'm in is affordable and harvest a lot of deer each year. See if one is available within a few hours from where you live. I'm fortunate that all members get a long and enjoy the work weekends during off season that pays off during hunting season. Good luck!

Start by finding someone with land.
Ask about hunting. Most people that would let you hunt hunt themselves so offer to help with management.
Ive had many good things come of that. Most people that can afford a large piece of land also are very busy. If they have someone who will setup blinds cut trails and have stuff ready for them to hunt the one week a year. You may find a nice spot

I've found that here in Texas there is a tremendous amount of land in private hands on a percentage basis. There are very limited public hunting places. The liability/risk and value of the experience (they can sell a lease or day hunt) often factor into land owner decisions around granting permission to hunt to cold calls. It is like most things I suppose, it is who you know. Any kind of hunting land within a reasonable driving distance from me is over $3k an acre to buy. I pay the annual lease for year round access and I'm happy that I have a great land owner.

Public land, now is time to scout. Find the nastiest thickest cover and scout it. Look for creek bottoms that a D9 bulldozer has trouble breaking through. You will find best chance at a decent buck in worse cover you can find. Accept short shots, small windows, fast shots too. I have been very successful on public land in both Indiana and Michigan using these tactics. Plus hunt during week if you can to avoid crowds. Be prepared to be on stand 1 1/2 hour before daybreak to prevent stepping on the buck you want getting in closer to daybreak.

Google Earth is great tool to scout public land and now without leaves gives you best overview of potential areas. You will see other hunters but hunting in nasty spots cuts them down plus getting in there early stakes your claim.

I've hunted with guys in the neighborhood most all my life. Up until the last 10-15 years it was always free with just word of mouth permission. We all knew the landowners and they knew all of us and things were low key. No one asked for money but we also helped each other out when/if it was needed. You know, the way America was 40 years ago.
Now, however, a lot of the older hunters and land owners have gone on. The friendships have faded and the farms and lands are owned by their heirs. Some "out of stater's" have moved in and most of these new owners and residents seem to have their drawers in a bunch no matter what. No trespassing, no hunting signs and purple trees everywhere. If things continue the way they've been going, in the next 10-15 years you won't be able to hunt around here unless you own land.
I was blessed a couple of years ago by an older gentlemen (70ish) I know who lives only a mile from me. I've known him all my life and have even cropped and hung tobacco for him when I was a teenager. He farmed a while back then but then he started putting down water wells. He put down mine about 20 years ago and it's still fine water.
Anyway, two years ago he came to my house and said he had a problem and needed my help. Seems he was told by the farmer that tends his land to do something about the deer or he wasn't going to keep tending it. They demolished his soybeans that year.
The old man told me he wanted me to kill everything with a tail! Well I didn't exactly do that but I put a dent in 'em. My freezer was full as were a some other folk's who needed the meat. Got my limit. :)
I don't know why he chose me to hunt his land for him but I'm glad he did. He and I have spent a lot of time together in the last two years and he treats me like a son he never had. I stopped by his "card shack" this morning and gave him a scope. It was a Tasco 3-9 X 50, not much of a scope in our (LRH) view but he really digs those things. His eyes are getting old and he doesn't hunt much and he misses more than he kills but he's still got the heart.

So, yeah, it's tough all over for hunting, especially if you don't own land or know anyone who can "hook" you up. I Googled "where to hunt near Frisco, Texas" and a little bit of info came up. Might want to try that then check out public lands available near you. Ask the locals where you work, go to church or dine out. Good luck brother.

Here in Montana we have block management land where ranchers/farmers get a fee for everyone who hunts on their land.
Some years we have way too many hunters for a decreased amount of Elk.When I got here in 1998 I saw hundreds of elk many times and sometimes I would only see a half dozen but I always saw something,Elk or Mule Deer.Now its a pleasure to see a couple of elk a year and maybe a Mule Deer buck and a few doe's and last year I did not see any elk.
If I could I would hire an outfitter and let them take me high up in the Bob Marshal Wilderness and see some elk but my health won't allow.
Wolves and Cougars kill their share

A 400 acre lease on the St. Lawrence River Plain in Jefferson County, New York and a small piece of a friend's property in the Southern Zone.