What made you interested in long range shooting?

I read elsewhere in a thread about the division and the lack of manners for one another we have these days. It made me think about why I came to this thread or any others. We all have a story about what made us interested in shooting distance, share your story if you are inclined. We have a common interest but how we each arrived there could make for some interesting stories.

I have hunted since I was a boy, starting out with my dad's Ruger .44 pistol or my 30-30 Marlin. Like many on here I spent some time in the military as a young man and was exposed to that plastic M16A1. Growing up and hunting in the Ozarks, I had never taken a shot over 125 yards. The fact that I could routinely hit a silhouette from 50 to 300 meters with that little bullet out of my plastic rifle was pretty cool for this hillbilly. I would have to say that is where I first became interested in shooting distance. Share your story if your inclined
I grew up on the Llano Estacado in The Texas Panhandle. Everything was "long range" from Prairie Dogs, to running coyotes.

We were taught the basic rifle skills at a local range in the bottom of an old caliche pit but the rest you just had to learn by missing a lot and figuring out why, then correcting.

Had a custom 280AI built to maybe one day get up Idaho for an elk hunting. The addiction kicked in after that and shortly after bought a Tikka 6.5CM CTR that I am in the process of customizing to be a long range target rifle. Will I ever get out to 1000k-a mile? Not sure, not many places around me with that range. It is still fun to dream though. With ammo being where it is I haven't shot near as much as I'd like so still very early in the learning process.

Started deer hunting as a child. Then feral hogs became a problem in my neck of the woods. Seeing feral hogs decimate a wheat field just out of effective range of my 25-06 sent me down a rabbit hole. I have a love/hate relationship with those dang hogs lol. I go full caddy shack when I see those little black specs in an otherwise beautiful green field. Researching what to build next brought me to LRH

I'm 47 and I have been shooting since I was 8-9 years old i spent over 5 years in the United States Army and had the privilege of meeting Carlos hathcock in ft Bragg in the 90's at a book signing and have a signed copy of the book 93 confirmed kills and I have been fascinated with snipers most all my young life. I love to coyote hunt and I was tired of those smart little critters hanging up past 300 and not being able to hit them. I have two sons that are in there twenties now and we got started into long range hard about 7-8 years ago and I don't even enjoy setting up my deer hunts where I can't shoot at least 400 yards I have confirmed hits on hogs @ 1037 and 1078 yards and a coyote @ 1030 yards with a 280 ai off my front porch of all places. My farthest whitetail was harvested @ 678 yards with a 6.5 prc it is addicting for me and can't get enough of the it.

Can't remember for sire - may have posted on this - but anyway - I also grew up hunting - in the 50's in the hills of Southern Oregon. - usually in fairly thick timber - so not that many long shots.

Forst learned to shoot with a Benjamin pump pellet gun - shooting orange juice can lids - tacked to a fence post.

Later was on the rifle team at the AF Academy but again - not long - usually 100 yard targets.

Only later when sighting in the trusty ole 30/06 here in SD -- did someone point out a Gong hanging at 300 yards - and somebody on the line had a long range Remington /26" Sendero - - and invited me to shoot it.

Hit the Gong the first time and recently pirchased a Tikka T3 Light - in 6.5 Creedmore - and plan to work up to 1,000 yards.

Can't remember for sire - may have posted on this - but anyway - I also grew up hunting - in the 50's in the hills of Southern Oregon. - usually in fairly thick timber - so not that many long shots.

Forst learned to shoot with a Benjamin pump pellet gun - shooting orange juice can lids - tacked to a fence post.

Later was on the rifle team at the AF Academy but again - not long - usually 100 yard targets.

Only later when sighting in the trusty ole 30/06 here in SD -- did someone point out a Gong hanging at 300 yards - and somebody on the line had a long range Remington /26" Sendero - - and invited me to shoot it.

Hit the Gong the first time and recently pirchased a Tikka T3 Light - in 6.5 Creedmore - and plan to work up to 1,000 yards.

I agree,without this site I would still be shooting my self imposed limit of 300 yards.
I had moved out to 500 yds in the 70's. Still hold to that even today. Looking to extend that yardage now. Putting rifles and upgrading my reloading equipment to do that.
I see I have crossed over this thread before. O'well.

Last edited:
Actually, by the standards of many on here…..I'm a "point blank range" hunter. I will limit my shots to a maximum of 600 yards.

Several things brought me to the point of stretching my shots to this distance:

Old age has reduced my ability to traverse the hills and thick timber as in the past

Having a rifle/cartridge/ bullet capable of longer shots

Relocating to an area that offers far more long(er) range shots than my previous hunting areas

memtb

I started long range hunting coming from the camp of thought that if you couldn't get within 200 yards, you weren't a good hunter. But I had a buck that eluded me for 3 years only to have another hunter get him. In reflection of my close calls, he gave me the slip so many times because he was in an area that 400-600 yards was as close as you could get before he knew you were there and would wait for an opportunity to leave when you couldn't see him. That last year I watched him from a distance do that several times for other hunters as I was trying to learn his secondary escape areas. I hunted those secondary areas only to have a guy kill him in his bed from across the canyon, while I was above the buck waiting for him to move out into the open.

So I decided I was short sighted and that I needed to add distance to my skill set. I committed to learn it and get proficient. It has been a game changer. My equipment is better, my techniques are better, my wind reading is better, I learned reloading, I found great mentors who are now very close friends, and those "impossible" long shots of the past of 400-800+ yards are now one shot kills and 500 and in I have confidence of perfect hits no matter the scenario and conditions.

And best of all, it gives me a reason to shoot year round to learn those conditional factors, spend time with mentors and friends, as well as allowing my scientific side to experiment with different components to find what works best for me and my set ups. Plus that first shot you or someone you are mentoring hits at 1000 is like magic. Hitting steel at 1 mile on a cold bore first shot is an incredible high.

PRS matches are my new challenge and that community is great to spend time with. As well as this forum. And I am grateful for this community and the great advice and wisdom that is shared here. Without those first failed attempts at that Wiley old buck and the other Hunter with the skill set to shoot him, I never would have found all of this.

When in the Nam, I got one of the first laser rangefinders for artillery usage. They put my team out as far out as possible, and although we could range out to 30 kilometers, most of our kills were 4-8 kilometers in the Dodge City FreeFire Zone. The concept of long range, although not as long, got my attention. Unfortunately, my budget and the scarcity of affordable distance rifles, kept my distances to about 600 meters. Alas, old age has caught up with me, but I still like to test myself at 500 meters, the longest distance my local range goes.