What made you interested in long range shooting?

Woodchucks!

Shooting groundhogs is my favorite. Eventually i run out of em at 50 yards so the 22mag got hung up when I was 12 and dad gave me his "243 savage". Beat up 110e in 243. Thats when I started long range shooting. In north west pa we don't have a lot of real long shots, but plenty of 300-500 yard long fields. For a teenager in the 90's without a rangefinder, that's long range. I spent whole days stepping off distance to holes and drawing maps on paper, then taking shots at targets and writing down holdovers. I wish I'd kept better notes then. I dont know how many I got or how many shots I took but it was a lot.
I still really enjoy it. It's like fishing. Go n sit and enjoy the sunshine, with a splash of excitement here n there.
Now my daughter does more shooting than I do. Got her a fancy cricket 22mag and she handles the first 100 yards. I just get the long pokes. View attachment 330742View attachment 330741
Yup that's probably my top two. "Rockchucks" and fishing. Awesome pics!!!

Wow! There are some great stories on this thread. Some are very close to my own,
I grew up with guns and a reloading bench, I used to sit in a chair and watch my dad reload for hours, I wasn't your normal kid that wanted to play the Atari 2600 all day. I read every book and magazine I could find about hunting or shooting.
Studied reloading manuals and Gun Digests till I wore the pages off. I was fascinated with bullet drop charts and sectional densities, etc.
My dad was the greatest shot I knew of, and that was a big circle and I wanted to be as good or better than him. I used to sit in his recliner with him looking through hunting magazines and him asking were I would hold the gun if there was a title breeze and the distance was X (something he would pull out of the hat). We didn't have fancy scopes in those days like we do now. So it was all Kentucky windage. There was always a trick and it was me having to ask which gun I would using. We had a 22-250, 6mmRem, two 270win, and two 30-06. Sobi would open up the Speer or Hornady manual and tear skim through the charts and give him my answer. Often times he would correct me and tell me about the thickness of the neck and how to use that as reference for were to hold. I love those memories.
I was pretty proficient out to 400 by the time I was in Jr. high at targets and game if it were perfect conditions.
The best scope in the house was on my dad's pre-64 270. It was a Redfield 3x9 AO and the rangefinder went to 550 yds., I killed my first elk with it on a horseback hunt with my uncle. I don't know how accurate that system really was but it was supposed to be almost at the max. I remember shaking a lot. I missed the first shot and lunged him on the second and third. My uncle had hit him in the lower hock.That was then, the proudest day of my life. I always thought 500yds was kind of the limit.
Through the years that slowly evolved.
In 2009 Montana opened the doors to wolf hunting. I had a Tikka T3 with a Burris 4x12BDC
on it. I was elk hunting and had a pack of wolves mess up a chance at a 350 plus bull. They were at 700 or so and when the elk took off the wolves stopped. I got two shots off and didn't hit squat. Ever since then I have been slowly creeping into LR hunting.
I will also add that because of this forum and some great folks on here. I have learned a plié about proper reloading techniques for LR, what kind of gear I can run for my wallet, gunsmithing skills that can be done at home, what kind of bullets and load development, etc.
Thanks Len and thanks to all you other members. 👍
One last thing. If your not a team member yet and ya can afford it, join up. It helps with the funding and getting rid of the adds is worth it🤣

Last edited:
Read Charles Henderson's marine sniper: 93 confirmed kills at 13 years old. That led to a few things.
He had 93 kills at 13 yo?!?!?!? More proof that punctuation matters, and one should pay attention in school .

I have kept my ranges down to about 500yds. I like to spot and stock, and work to close the distances. I' am regearing my reloading equipment to set up to extend my range out some. I will have one rifle that will handle the all copper bullet and it still not done yet. I have always prided myself in achieving fairly good groups from a vey young age, and them learned to determine the range or the animal out to 500yds. I always felt that getting beyond that was getting risky. I was getting 3" groups @ 500 yds, but I felt with extending the range beyond that was getting into possible wounding and not killing the animal I was shooting at. So hopefully this summer I will take the time and work on P-dogs to get my number put together.

The picture in my avatar is my oldest son, he is 27 now. He shot that cow at 420 yards off hand with fire forming loads. He hit her smack in the atlas. It was on a trot straight away, about 20deg downhill.
I was above him about 40 yards. I got to watch the hole thing.
The best part of all this for me is seeing all the training that my father taught me extending to now, 3 generations. 4 actually, my Grandad taught my dad.

My dad and grandad were WW1 and WW2 vets. They hunted but shooting for fun wasnt on their list of things to do. I guess they had enough of that in Europe. There was this commemorative can of 300, .22LR at a hardware we frequented. I told dad I wanted to spend my work money on it. He thought I was crazy. He asked me "what are you going to do with all them cartridges?" Lol. He wouldn't believe someone could shoot 300 rounds for just fun.

Several years ago I got the opportunity to go antelope hunting in Wy. I own some land in west Tex, so made a range out to 500 to practice, I was hooked. did get a nice speed goat at 250 or so. It has sure helped me at shorter ranges also. Age and health has limited my hunting. I am doing some benchrest shooting now 200 to 800. I love to shoot

The sheer enjoyment of the entire process. For me as a Hobby Bench Rest shooter, The long range shooting discipline is so much more fun and exciting. Its also great that Hunting rifles you have had in you safe for decades, ( 270 Weatherby Mag 1979) or (300 Weatherby Mag 1985 ) , can be easily used to hit steel at 1200 yards consistently. The new scopes make it so very easy, even an old guy (73 ) like me can do it!!!! The scope on my Weatherby Mark V sporter is a Leupold VX3 8.5 X to 25 X Windplex on a 30mm tube with a 50 mm Objective lens. I left the same Leupold DD Rings and bases alone . Just pulled of the VX3 4.5X to 145X Hunting scope and put on the target scope. For those of you on the east coast like me, consider the Bang Steel Shooting School, in Viginia. Tell them Lenny sent you!! I can't wait to go back, really fun!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2627.jpg
    IMG_2627.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
I read elsewhere in a thread about the division and the lack of manners for one another we have these days. It made me think about why I came to this thread or any others. We all have a story about what made us interested in shooting distance, share your story if you are inclined. We have a common interest but how we each arrived there could make for some interesting stories.

I have hunted since I was a boy, starting out with my dad's Ruger .44 pistol or my 30-30 Marlin. Like many on here I spent some time in the military as a young man and was exposed to that plastic M16A1. Growing up and hunting in the Ozarks, I had never taken a shot over 125 yards. The fact that I could routinely hit a silhouette from 50 to 300 meters with that little bullet out of my plastic rifle was pretty cool for this hillbilly. I would have to say that is where I first became interested in shooting distance. Share your story if your inclined
I read elsewhere in a thread about the division and the lack of manners for one another we have these days. It made me think about why I came to this thread or any others. We all have a story about what made us interested in shooting distance, share your story if you are inclined. We have a common interest but how we each arrived there could make for some interesting stories.

I have hunted since I was a boy, starting out with my dad's Ruger .44 pistol or my 30-30 Marlin. Like many on here I spent some time in the military as a young man and was exposed to that plastic M16A1. Growing up and hunting in the Ozarks, I had never taken a shot over 125 yards. The fact that I could routinely hit a silhouette from 50 to 300 meters with that little bullet out of my plastic rifle was pretty cool for this hillbilly. I would have to say that is where I first became interested in shooting distance. Share your story if your inclined

I started hunting and shooting at a young age. My first deer rifle was a old sporterized military rifle in 30.06 cal. It had a steel butt plate, and kicked like a mule, and had peep sites. It wasn't pretty, that's for sure, but I was proud of my very own rifle. I joined the Army at 18, and was given a M14 to qualify with. While some others were afraid of going to the range, I loved it. Before heading to Nam, we were given our plastic M16s. I don't ever remember fireing that rifle on anything but full auto. When I returned home to Mn. I bought a bolt action Remington in 30.06, but that didn't last too long because It was ingrained in me to just keep pulling the trigger.
I still love shooting, and have joined different gun clubs, have several different rifles, with action from single shot to automatic. I've been hunting western states, and love long range shooting.

The first time I watched bullet wakes going to 600- & 1,000-yard targets I got drawn into it. Playing around with the numbers associated with bullets flying thru air came next. An actual hit on a big rodent (yellow-belly marmot) at over 800 with a 6.5-06 was better than a paper target. Now, deeply into an extended component shortage, it's getting the most ballistic effect, per $ beyond 1/4 mile that has led to fast twist .22-.250's with 75 - 80 grain bullets - more loads per pound of powder & cheaper bullets.

Been a hunter and shooter all of my life and always wondered why I couldn't shoot a one inch group at 100 yards with my Remington .270. Have hunted every wild game here in WY except bear and buffalo - and got a sheep tag in 2008. Once laid in a place for about 20 minutes watching a herd of elk 300 yards away laying down with the sentry cow watching and only small rocks between us. Actually called a buddy from way the heck up that mountain and asked his opinion. Shoot a calf - great idea. Spent another 15 minutes trying to judge size in laying-down-elk. Then decided it was all or nothing - shoot it in the head or miss. Turned out it was what had to be luck and she was not a calf! Then ten years after the sheep hunt I got a mountain goat tag, and knew the work that might involve with me ten years older than the sheep adventure. Figured I'd better find a way to shoot longer and more accurately - meaning UP the hill instead of trying to be me up there. So I called a different friend who was deep into long range and he recommended a rifle and scope and we talked first focal plane and MOA vs MIL and to put it mildly, the rest is history. And special thanks for another friend who is a reloader and he taught me a TON, and we learned a ton together. After seeing me shoot, he too in now into LR. Along the way, I actually put a thumb-tack in a target at 100 yards so that I can tell people unequivocally that my rifle is a 'tack-driver'. Another time it exploded a push-pin. And an egg at 750 yards. I have yet to connect on a dime at 750, but have come very, very close. And the goat? The first time I shot that big heavy 13 pound rifle that I carried up the mountain with the scope at 5 power was at the goat, at 99 yards. Like I said, I've hunted all my life and that meant 'get close or get closer'. Was constantly changing the scope settings as we worked to get close. But knowing I could have shot at 500 yards and hit where I was aiming was very confidence building.