What is this? Any ideas?

7mmSendaro

I found this empty casing in northeastern Wyoming. I have never seen anything like it. Anyone have a clue what it is? Diameter of the case above the rim is about .565, overall length is 1.760. Diameter of the rim is .660. There is nothing stamped on the head. Curious piece of history.....
523888.jpg

523887.jpg

I was gonna say a Sharps .50-70. .512" to .514" bullet, 1 3/4" long case, .668" rim.

cd5070original.jpg

Custer carried a .50-70 sporting rifle when he was in Wyoming, so you can imagine it's possible that Yellowhair busted a buffalo with your cartridge.

Last edited:
Brian,

I assume you found that on BLM land. I am sorry but you better mail that to me and I'll see that the proper authorities get your historical find. I will furthermore not report you to the Fed's for theft of said artifact....

Oh, by the way, if you believe one once of above said "crap" you will have to be sentenced to 5 days Pd hunting and coyote calling on next said trip to my backyard ..... LOL

Scott,

Sorry, but this major historical find was on private land that was actually homesteaded by the Bruce family 4 generations ago.....;)

However, I will except my sentenced punishment next October!

Please write down my reservation...............

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.