What gun for grizzly? what do guides use ?

Didyou read Phi Shooemaker's reply a Bear Guide in Alaske for 25 Years, He stated that he has stoped up close charges with a 30-06. Phil has a reputation for produceing big bears and states that a BIG BORE is not needed or recomended for a hunter hunting un wounded bears I hunted and lived in Alaska for 7 years and knew of nolocals that hunted the big bears or guide that recomended his client to hunt or carry anything larger than a 375 H&H.
A big gun does not neccesarly put a bear down instantly with one shot careful shot placement being mor important than caliber
again I am going tpo post Phil Shoemakers recomendations as he has 25 years experience as a Bear Guide:

Posted by Phil Shoemaker:

458Win
one of us

Posted Oct 5, 10:06 AM Hide Post
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ONE BEST BROWN BEAR CALIBER. A good bear hunter can make do with most any reasonable caliber. For most of the past seventy years the rifle of choice for the vast majority of Alaskan guides was the 30-06 and it still works as well today -actually even better with modern bullets - than ever. I have used one to kill half a dozen big bears - including serious up-close full-on charges.
That said, I don't consider it the ultimate big bear caliber but it works.
I don't have the exact number of bears my clients have killed over the past 25 years but it is somewhere between 100 and 150. In my experience the "ideal" calibers begin with the 338 Win, include the 358 Win, 35 Whelen, 9.3x62, 375H&H and up to the modern 45-70 loads.
The various 416's and 458's are great as a stopper for guides who might be required to stop a charging, wounded bruin but are absolutely un-necessary for any qualified hunter after un-wounded bears. If you honestly can handle one well they are fine but 99%+ of every hunter I've seen carrying the biggest bores are unreasonably afraid of both their rifles and of bears , which is a deadly combination. That is why if you ask the vast majority of experienced big bear guides what caliber they recommend they will recommend something close to what I have. A gut shot bear with a 460 WBY is a lot more dangerous than one heart shot with a 30-06.

Phil Shoemaker

From the 24Hour Campfire site

Sitka deerModerator
Campfire Kahuna

Reged: 02/02/01
Loc: Anchorage, AK USA
Re: Dustin Linebaugh's Bear [Re: JOG]
#1030703 - 10/06/06 08:49 AM
Edit post Edit Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote Quick Reply Quick Reply

JOG
A broken spine will immobilize from the break down, but often the front half (no longer knowing what the back half is doing) will do some serious struggling. But usually a center of chest shot that breaks the spine also puts a vent in the aorta and that stops the rolling real fast.

Once shot a bear coming in high and fast and took out the spine as the bullet was leaving. Aorta went with the spine and the bear dropped on my feet without another twitch. Bear had been wounded in the right shoulder and felt a need to come in standing/three-legged running.
art

jwp475
Campfire Ranger

Reged: 04/24/05
Loc: Las Vegas,Nv.
Re: Dustin Linebaugh's Bear [Re: Sitka deer]
#1030725 - 10/06/06 09:04 AM
Edit post Edit Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote Quick Reply Quick Reply

Art, What caliber and bullet did you use?

I also questioned the size when I saw the posting on AR. It looks no larger to me than the Artic bear that I killed around 86 in the Artic, a nice bear, but no way in hell is it 8.5 feet or anywhere close to 800 pounds.
I wanted to say as much on AR but every one was fawning over it so, and I didn't want to rain on thier parade...........

--------------------

Sitka deerModerator
Campfire Kahuna

Reged: 02/02/01
Loc: Anchorage, AK USA
Re: Dustin Linebaugh's Bear [Re: jwp475]
#1030740 - 10/06/06 09:14 AM

jwp
Carried a 300WM of some flavor mostly. The rifle that day was a tang safety 77 with 200gr Partitions. It has accounted for several brown/grizzly bears over the years as my loaner. It dislikes the X.
art

One problem I can see why the shot gun slugs are not very good is the lead that is used in factory slugs are too soft. This guy makes some very deadly slugs. They are solid heat treated lead. They are a spin off of the lead slugs used on African game in the 1800's. They are made for large and dangerous game.

Dixie Slugs

I agree, I believe that the Dixie slugs and the Tri Load buckshot ( 3 .600 balls) would be very effective on any Bear at shotgun distance's

Hm, well I'm in BC and have hunted here for 25 years. When I'm in grizzly country I won't hunt with anything less than a 338 Win. I've been putting in for a limited grizzly draw here and have bought a 416 Remington Mag and a 338/378. The 416 will be my gun of choice if I'm going for grizzly only. If on a combined hunt I'll take my 338/378 with 325 gr Wildcat bonded core tappered jacket bullets when I'm hunting griz. In the 416 I'd use the 350gr Barnes XXX @ 2600 fps which should be a pretty good stopping load for griz. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

by Bubba-n-AK
I carry a .50 Beowulf myself [ QUOTE ]

What bullet wieght and at what velocity? Have you taken a bear with this combo? If so details please.

I load it with 375 gr. Barnes XPB. Shoots a lot like a 45/70 but in semi-auto. I have not shot a bear with it yet but my buddy did last year and the bear (grizzly) was on all fours walking and did a complete back flip when hit. I think the Beowulf is perfect for bear protection.
Rack2.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.