Hearing protection -what do you use?

ol mike

I did a search hearing+protection and came up w/ nothing.

I read the opinions on muzzlebrakes and it's pretty cut and dried expierienced shooters like brakes.
I use simple ear plugs and don't have a brake on any of my guns.I know braked guns are very loud at the range.
I can't figure out what to buy for coyote calling -you need to be able to hear a coyote coming and muffs are hot when shooting praire dogs so what to buy?
The little behind the ears jobs like walkers game ear look good but seem expensive.
When i rebarrel my 25-06 w/a brake i'll need something plus a sendero II is in my near future.Thanks Mike

What??? Could you repeat that!!!! Louder!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I use electronic Radians. Shooting 75 to 100 grains of powder behind 250 grain bullets. Radians work great.

Never heard a yote coming in unless they bark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif then I know I'm busted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The radians are nice... especially for the price. if youve got a superloudenboomer, you can do like me and just put some plugs under the electronics, and turn the volume up a little.

Roy you're funny YEAH FUNNY I SAID /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Do you guys wear them while hunting?

Roy our coyotes come in running on leaves not sand/cactus needles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.Mike

Yes I wear them while hunting. You can hear really well but I have trouble determining the direction of the sound.

Shooting that much powder with the brake is very close to shooting a good hot 44 Mag revolver load or worse yet a Dan Wesson 22 Hornet w/that brake or whatever it is on the end of the barrel. Bottom line is <font color="red">PAIN </font> without ear protection.

I have been using the electronic muffs from Dillon for several years now. Mostly they get used at the range or when I'm shooting USPSA/IPSC style matches and work well even when I'm shooting my 300WM w/ a brake.
I have started to use them for duck hunting as well. They are a little bulky if you are wearing a hooded jacket, but otherwise very comfortable, even when it is hot out.

The only thing that I have had to do to them is replace the ear pads - they are made to be replaced, so no big deal there.

I use the Remington R2000 electronic muffs. They're slim, sound quality is good (not great), and batteries last quite a long time. For sound quality Pro-Ears get my vote.

I have lost all of my high frequency hearing and cannot hear song birds singing. About five years ago i started wearing the Walker game ears using my custom fitted ear plugs for my more expensive hearing aids. Funny thing is a set of $2,000 digital frequency tuned custom fitted hearing aids had no loud noise shutoff circuit. The Walker game ears have a crude frequency tuning system and a crude loud noise shut off. Directional ability is limited but witha person like me I the option is to hear totally nothing or to be confused about where the noise came from. They are affected mby feedback from brimmed hats and from long hair and rain.

At the rifle range I have been wearing regular shooting muffs but that causes a problem in hearing range commands. I was up at Cabelas yesterday and they had the Peltor 6S about 60% off and the 7S about 30% off. The 7S is heavier but seemed to snug down over the ears better. I also wear glasses which complicates life also. I got the 7S.

Roy and buffalobob ,

The point of not being able to tell the direction of the sound is a good point.
I'll decide soon and report on the performance of my choice.Mike

Mike,
I had a calling rifle built in .22 Middlested last season with a brake and it's great.Allows me to see bullet impact,which is pretty nice in high brush for comfirming hits.I use a foam plug in the ear nearest the muzzle,in my case, shooting right handed,that would be my left ear,and a another foam in the right,lightly inserted or a Radian so I can hear a bit to pick up distant howling,barking or whatever.At the very least, one in the left ear.

Used to be made by Howard Leight and called the Leightning but I think the company has changed. however, the ear muffs are still manf.

They are black in colour very comfortable and cheap. They also have the highest rating of 31dB. I am sure that they are available through any safety gear supply store.

Most electronic earmuffs are in the 20 to 29dB range. The difference is enormous due to the logorithimic scale used for decible readings. 3dB doubles the performance.

I shoot many braked rifles and can 'hear' a substantial difference between my 31dB muffs and even the top of the line aircraft muffs rated at 28/29dB.

As added protection, I use ear plugs too. These are rated at 33dB. Not sure how they get such a high rating considering they are much louder then the muffs when used alone. Maybe its the skull thing.

Anyways, with both plugs and muffs, shooting these braked cannons under our covered and walled range is comfy.

I use a set of Peltor 6's while birding. I hate not having a sense of noise direction but since there is little time to put on muffs when one flushes, you gotta do what you gotta do.

One thing to remember is keep your muffs clean. Through use and environment, the foam plugs up reducing their effectiveness. You are not likely to notice the slow change but it will affect your hearing. If there are any cracks or rips in the ear cups, time for new ones.

I make it a rule to throw away my muffs every two or three seasons even though they are always boxed for storage. My hearing is just a bit too important not to spend $20 every couple of years.

I also make it a rule to never still hunt with a braked rifle. Just one shot from a bad angle and you will go 'huh' forever...not my idea of fun.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts