Votes: 120 20.3%
  • Diamond

Votes: 28 4.7%
  • Ross

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • Mathews

Votes: 186 31.5%

• Total voters
I have added a Strother Inspire and a Hoyt AlphaBurner to my collection.
I also have a EliteGT500 and a Hoyt AM35 converted to Z3 cams.
All bows are around 65# DW and 29" DL.

I'mlooking for a cross bow as the last week or deer herre is muzzleloading and crossbow. I think the pse high end is more than I need. Any recommendations for something in the 700 or less range. I'd guess my shots would be 100 and less, typically 75 yards. Light weight and or compact with a decent trigger is my preference.

I'mlooking for a cross bow as the last week or deer herre is muzzleloading and crossbow. I think the pse high end is more than I need. Any recommendations for something in the 700 or less range. I'd guess my shots would be 100 and less, typically 75 yards. Light weight and or compact with a decent trigger is my preference.
And there lies the problem a lot of "bow hunters" have with a crossbow season, you want to shoot gun ranges with a cross bow that you obviously have no experience with. Why? I have been bow hunting for 40+ years all over the country and my longest shot to date has been 40yds on a bull elk which I did get. Part of the allure for bow hunting at least for most of us is getting close, that is the challenge and the most exciting thing about bow hunting. At 100 yds you won't know that feeling. Too bad, good luck though.

Matthews, Phantom broadheads, and a lot of practice I shoot at least 3 times a week all year long. ( It's not that I can't make a 75-100 yd.shot I choose not too except in 3D competion,or just for the ell of it.

I hear you Rick. Here in NY we have so many restrictions on hunting and each one seems to reduce the number of hunters and ownership of firearms. There is even a group here in NY dead set against crossbow even though there is only going to be 1 week at the end of the season when deer are hiding!

I think a week of crossbow is a great idea. I know several veterans that can't hunt much any more, women, children, older hunters that love bow but can't handle them because of either health or strength. So let's not let them hunt and discourage hunting as much as we can.

Your not selfish are you?

Good Luck with your logic. You are just plain selfish, admit it.

How do you figure selfish. All I was getting at was use equipment with in the peramiters it is designed for. How many people have you introduce to hunting this year ? Let alone the past 40.

Sorry I jumped on you Rick, okay. Were loosing hunting here because of restrictions and our NY bow association essentially is dead set against crossbows for anything. So, I don't mean to assume you are too. I'm really all for safe, conservation hunting and some people here are limited by health and or strength with bows and this reduces hunters in general. Our state is pretty firearms restrictive and less hunters makes it harder and more expensive to hunt or have a firearm for personal protection. So I'm defensive toward a group here that is trying to stop it. I know some of them and they hunt with firearms and bows and frankly I suspect they take deer out of season? The only thing I can figure is that they are thinking about themselves as evidenced by how much I see them hunt and with their choice of instruments. They lobby against anything that seems to interfere with their ideas and I believe their motives are not fair. They reject the ideas on crossbows with the kind of attitude that I can only see lacks consideration for other would be hunters. My apology's for calling you selfish. Sorry about that. Ed

Apology accepted I actually tried to post this on Sat. from my cell phone I was In eastern Pa. for the weekend for some reason I couldn't log in not really sure what the problem was,or is..No I have nothing against crossbows, or the people that hunt with them I know they fill a nich for those that can't shoot conventional type bows as you stated. There may come a day I have to shoot one but I'm only 63 I think I still have a few more years climbing into tree stands with my Matthews.( I hope) Good Lord willing. Thankfully We have a little more liberal view on guns in Indiana. I hope that continues. Our problem here is the firearms season is way too long close to four weeks when you add the muzzle loader season. Just to much pressure on the deer IMO. It used to be shot gun only then they added pistols now you can use rifles shooting straight walled pistol case ammunition from 44mag. upto 50cal. bushmaster.

At the rate they are going I figure it is only a matter of time till they include center fire rifles and lengthen the season a few more weeks anything to take in the all mighty dollar. Ok enough of my rant. No my only problem with the crossbow is the longer shoots a lot of people take with them including a couple of guys I personally know. I can see a 50yd. shot with one but beyond that there is a good chance of wounding more than killing and I feel the game we hunt deserves better. I hope you are successful in your endevours.

Rick

Thanks Rick, -I do agree, more than 75 yards doesn't seem ethical to me either. I do think that hunters and the DEC have to work with integrity. I ended up buying a piece of land secluded next to the state land here as safety is an issue for the deer and us hunters. Last year not more than 300 yards across a distant road I knew was there some guy or 2 shot about 12 times in 2 minutes! Our thought was he is either target practicing or a bad shot or an idiot or all 3. He had a shotgun and about 10 minutes later 2 deer appeared in front of us. Lucky for us. But it does scare the heck out of me to think that a semi auto shotgun or next an ar-15 in the wrong hands is just not safe for deer or other hunters. This year I am happy I shouldn't have to worry about that. I too think that the DEC is going to have to be in the field a bit more and ethics should be considered a long with #1 safety hand in hand.

I shoot and hunt with both Bowtech and Mathews.

Certainly not a fan boy by any stretch, they all have something to offer someone, and nowadays it gets down to what you want to do with it and how your going to use it more than which one is the best.

When I started out I didn't even know if I was going to be able to shoot long enough to break in the string having chronic tendon issues in both elbows, so after shooting a ton of them, I went with the Bowtech Tomkat package. It simply had a nice enough cycle that it didn't bother anything when I drew it. After two years of shooting the string off it, the wife got me an Admiral for our anniversary.

A couple of year later my hunting pardner presented me with a Drenalin so as to have something to play around with using lighter weight arrows and such. The cycle on it is awesome and I have since shot several other Mathews bows, and again, as well as a ton of others.

I have my Tomkat set up shooting 340 FMJ's at 250 and use it mostly for hog hunting, or if I am feeling good I take some carbons out and shoot a few limb rats. It is simply so easy to shoot and so very accurate.

The Admiral I set up with some heavy weights FMJ 300's with 20gr inserts. Topped with 100gr heads thy hit right at 575grs, and I hunt deer and hogs with it exclusively. Even with the heavies it will sling them out at 265fps and thee ain't no stopping it until it hits dirt on the other side.

The Drenalin is set up for deer and hogs, but I am trying to stay away from the latter. I am shooting Carbon Express from it and with the 100gr tips it is right in the 280fps range. It's a toss up between it and the Admiral as to which is the more quite, but with the lighter arrows the Drenalin wins hands down.

I shoot a PSE Vendetta xs compound using a release aid and a Bear Super Grizzly Recurve using tabs. I also shoot a home made Mongolian style bow with a thumb ring. The more I shoot the further I am drawn into minimalist type shooting. I am finding the more I get into instinctive shooting the less I enjoy using sites. Still I am struggling to get good groups at 40 meters shooting instinctively whilst I can achieve much better results beyond 60 meters with my PSE.

I have shot Hoyt for 20 years. Very long story short I am now a convert. Bowtech Insanity CPXL. 70# 31.5 inch draw shooting a 489 grain arrow at a smooth 312 ft/sec. I only had a chest shot on a BIG bugling, slobbering, 5x5 bull this year at 25 yrds. No lie, pass through from chest through heart, 1 lung, blew up liver and came out his scrotum. Sounded like you hit him in the chest with a 2x4. Knocked him 2 steps back, he emptied his chest on everything within a 10 yrd radius. Made it 2 jumps and landed sprawled out on all fours. Clean kill.. No Quick and ethical very much so... R chest shots recommended, no.. But when your bow can shoot 6 in groups at 80 yrds all day... This was a chip shot. Its not bragging when its the bow.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.