Votes: 120 20.3%
  • Diamond

Votes: 28 4.7%
  • Ross

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • Mathews

Votes: 186 31.5%

• Total voters
I have a Martin standing up in the closet. I shoot a fond look at it every time I go in there.

Come on pick it up! How log has it been sitting in the closet. Just today I
started putting those closet dwellers up for sale on ebay. I'm never going to shoot it, so I might as well sell or trade it for something I need.

A fond glance? Sounds like an old love affair. Yes, Archery does that to you
especially when you have bested some of you competitors in competition or
you just arrowed that 7 point super branched bull elk you been hunting all season.

I'm lucky I step out the back door to either a 70 yd archery target or 50yd
sage rats with the 22LR, and the liberals want us to give up our weapons?
I will give them my ammo, one projectile at a time.

Good Luck and keep them in the middle. PPP

No close place to hunt, and no 70 yd back yard - you lucky son of a gun, or bow. This bow has been shot 4 times - for sight in purposes. Really just needed 3. A good archery shop will set up your rig so well that's all that's needed. Probably the last in a succession of bows over the years. Started with a 61 lb Wing Thunderbird, that stacked to about 70 at my draw length. That was back when I was strong....er. It was a beast on the fingers!

I know what you mean. I have 6 wall hangers, four are still shootable. These are leftovers from the old days. Seven compounds, oldest one is a PSE four wheeler. What I have is too many bows.

I just put a Ben Pearson signature take down Recurve on Ebay to begin thinning them out.

NO WAY! Recurves are still COOL, especially the really good ones. You can still take game with that sucker - way more of a challenge than the modern equipment, which is pretty dang close to using a firearm. I believe I can shoot a bow at 50 yards nearly as accurately as I can offhand with a gun! Tell us about your long bow.

I know what you mean. I have 6 wall hangers, four are still shootable. These are leftovers from the old days. Seven compounds, oldest one is a PSE four wheeler. What I have is too many bows.

I just put a Ben Pearson signature take down Recurve on Ebay to begin thinning them out.

Why thin them out? Practice with a different bow EVERY DAY of the week. So you need seven shooters, maybe a special number 8 to shoot on 2/29 -have one coming next week.

The long Bow was made by a boyer in Eugene, Oregon. I have had it for 16
years. It's never been strung since I've had it. I keep the string waxed and wipe down the bow a very small amount of Olive oil. It's more valuable as a museum piece than as a shooter. There are also a dozen and a half hand made arrows. With insert self knocks and hand made broadheads. All very professionally done, includung crests. I don't know how old this set is exactly,
but, I will guess probably in the 1920's. The recurves were bought in the 1950's, with the last one in 1998.

At 80 years of age, I can manage a 80% let off 60# Compound bow snd hold
a fairly tight group at 60 yds. Trying to shoot my old Herter 48# @ 28" is a
bit demanding and I have come to learn my limitations. I also hunt from a
tree stand, which makes shooting a shorter limbed bow more practical.

Last edited:
Bowhunting is my 1st love and I 'm a traditional archer.

2 Zipper recurves(one that the riser is made out of a elk antler)
Fredick longbow
Stalker recurve
Great Northern recurve
Robertson stikbow recurve
Habu longbow

The Habu is my fav.

Fredick longbow
Stalker recurve
Great Northern recurve
Habu longbow

The Habu is my fav.

Looks like from the number of bows you list, that you have been in the sport
for some time. I only own one long bow and it's as old as I am. I have never
strung it for fear of it breaking, even though i use a bow stringer to string
my recurves with.

I am a dedicated archer, I might shoot fingers one day and a hot double cam
bow with a release the next. My state of residence does not allow crossbows
for hunting. If they did, I might own one of those.

I believe in one thing for all shooting disciplines and that is Practice, practice,
practice.

It isn't the device that propels the missel that wins the match, It's the
person shooting the device that wins.

Fredick longbow
Stalker recurve
Great Northern recurve
Habu longbow

The Habu is my fav.

Post some photos of the bows, would love to see the one with the elk antler riser.

Picture 229.jpg

Picture 108.jpg

Picture 109.jpg

Picture 269.jpg

035.jpg

Hope this works.

Bear bow I bought in 2007 as a 2006 leftover I believe. Works well enough for me, especially after shooting with some folks sponsored by big names in the industry.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.